Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmissions are swapped! but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmissions are swapped! but need some help

yeah me and my buddy swapped the tranny on my car, from CX to si.

But i have 2 problems

1. I can't remeber where the bolts go. (I am a dummy for not taking the time to label.

2. (The most major) I forgot to put the throwout bearing and fork back in!!

Too bad my buds arn't knowledgable about cars they might have caught it.

Anyway, does anyone have a good method of getting the tranny off besides bench pressing it?

Thats the only method I could think of...it's what I used before.
If I had an overhead chain (or a cherry picker) I think that would help too.

Anyway, about the bolts.
Im pretty shure I know where they all go, but if I have trouble I will take some camera phone pictures and post them up here.
Does the Haynes manual show which bolts go where? I have one of those.

Oh yeah, really I am a newb at doing this kinda work but I can get it done. (Well maybe NOT since I forgot the throwout bearing )

If you guys could give me some help or insight I would appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: transmissions are swapped! but need some help (Mr. Teal)

Helms is ur friend. And I get a pro-lift hydro jack under the tranny, jack it up to engine height, and jiggle that ****** on.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmissions are swapped! but need some help (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Helms is ur friend. And I get a pro-lift hydro jack under the tranny, jack it up to engine height, and jiggle that ****** on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said. I haven't looked in the FSM in a while, but it may give you a detailed enough picture of the bolts. Don't feel too bad about the bolts, though; my friend did the same thing when changing a tranny case and swapping in an LSD. It's a learning process.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much are throwout bearings?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I think like $25-30 always buy complete kits so I won't exactly know to the penny.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Teal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. I can't remeber where the bolts go. (I am a dummy for not taking the time to label.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

AS for the bolts:

There are 4-5 17mm bolts (should be the same length) that bolt the tranny to the motor from the tranny side. One of which goes in right by the header towards the tranny.

There is also a 17mm bolt that goes in from the motor side into the tranny in the rear right in front of the rear mount bracket.

The rear mount bracket has 3 bolts. Two go into the tranny and one goes through the motor into the bracket. The 17 mm goes in by the starter through the motor and threads into the nut welded on the other side of the bracket. There will be two larger bolts, either 19mm or 17mm (i can't remember which size it is for d-series) These two go through the rear mount bracket to the tranny (from underneath the car FROM bracket TO tranny)

Clutch slave will be 2 12mm bolts a little longer than an inch or so

Clutch line bracket is 2 10mm bolts and bolts to bracket coming off tranny.

Starter is a long 14mm bolt and a 2inch or little longer bolt. Long bolt goes on bottom and small on top.

Everything else is pretty easy just remember to fill the tranny with fluid and plug in the vss, reverse lights, etc

Good luck
Old 06-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmissions are swapped! but need some help (JDMH22HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

AS for the bolts:

There are 4-5 17mm bolts (should be the same length) that bolt the tranny to the motor from the tranny side. One of which goes in right by the header towards the tranny.

There is also a 17mm bolt that goes in from the motor side into the tranny in the rear right in front of the rear mount bracket.

The rear mount bracket has 3 bolts. Two go into the tranny and one goes through the motor into the bracket. The 17 mm goes in by the starter through the motor and threads into the nut welded on the other side of the bracket. There will be two larger bolts, either 19mm or 17mm (i can't remember which size it is for d-series) These two go through the rear mount bracket to the tranny (from underneath the car FROM bracket TO tranny)

Clutch slave will be 2 12mm bolts a little longer than an inch or so

Clutch line bracket is 2 10mm bolts and bolts to bracket coming off tranny.

Starter is a long 14mm bolt and a 2inch or little longer bolt. Long bolt goes on bottom and small on top.

Everything else is pretty easy just remember to fill the tranny with fluid and plug in the vss, reverse lights, etc

Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome that helps out a lot

I just need to find those bolts that are about 4 inches long....i only have 3 rightnow