Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swap.

Okay, bottom line. I have a D16Z6, need to replace the transmission with a Y8 that I bought today.. If someone can please give me a step by step on how to swap the Y8 onto the Z6.. ( I need to put the Z6 clutch, flywheel, ect. onto the Y8 transmission )

Please give me some help here..
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Swap.

Is it the S20, or the S40 transmission?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.c-speedr.com/howto/b18cclutch/clutch.php
this is for B series but almost same for d series
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Basically remove the axles, unbolt the slave cylinder (do not disconnect the line! Just unbolt the slave cylinder and swing it out of the way and you wont have to bleed it.)unbolt the transmission and drop it out the bottom. Installation is the reverse of removal. Also, you will have to reuse the upper mount from the Z6. All of this is covered in the F.A.Q.s sticky-ed at the top of the page.

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
S40. It really makes no difference for simply installing the transmission, it's only once you open one up that being an S20 or S40 matters.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Freckles
Okay, bottom line. I have a D16Z6, need to replace the transmission with a Y8 that I bought today.. If someone can please give me a step by step on how to swap the Y8 onto the Z6.. ( I need to put the Z6 clutch, flywheel, ect. onto the Y8 transmission )

Please give me some help here..
Do you really need to even swap those parts over for it to fit?

From the manual (PAGE 13-5) so I don't forget anything (not word for word):

1. Disconnect battery.

2. Drain transmission fluid.

3. Remove intake air tube, intake air duct and air cleaner housing.

4. Disconnect starter motor cables, transmission ground wire, and back-up light switch connector.

5. Remove wire harness clamps.

6. Disconnect VSS connector.

7. Remove clutch line bracket, clutch line clamp, and slave cylinder.

8. Remove driveshafts.

9. Remove exhaust pipe A (header/Y-pipe).

10. Remove shift rod and extension rod.

11. Remove engine stiffeners and clutch cover.

12. Install bolts in cylinder head and attach a chain hoist to the bolts, then lift the engine slightly to unload the engine and transmission mounts.

13. Remove splash shield.

14. Remove right front mount/bracket.

15. Place a jack under the transmission.

16. Remove the transmission mount bracket and mount.

17. Remove the three upper transmission mounting bolts and lower starter mounting bolt.

18. Remove rear mount bracket bolts and transmission mounting bolts.

19. Pull the transmission away from the engine until it clears the mainshaft, then lower it on the transmission jack.

* Take care not to bend the clutch line.
Originally Posted by jbpnoman
The Y8 transmission should be an S40-K4F iirc. I thought S20 were the 5th gen transmissions.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by 94EG8
S40. It really makes no difference for simply installing the transmission, it's only once you open one up that being an S20 or S40 matters.
I learned the hard way that you can't easily hybridize these parts to make one transmission. Not in the S40 case at least.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NOFX
Do you really need to even swap those parts over for it to fit?
Nope, the clutch and flywheel remains bolted to the engine.

I learned the hard way that you can't easily hybridize these parts to make one transmission. Not in the S40 case at least.
It depends on what you're trying to swap. The forks don't swap, sleeves don't swap (not without modifications anyway) gears will though, and synchros, IIRC mainshaft, countershaft and diffs are interchangeable.

I picked up an S20 DX tranny at a local scrap yard for $15 a couple of weeks ago, realized it had been opened before and someone had replaced all the bearings (score!) it's got a bad 1st/2nd sleeve though, which royally sucks, I've got about 6 for S40s but the only other S20 one I have is even worse.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
H-T White Ops

We swapped some of the gears iirc. The S20 gears into the S40 bell housing caused issues. We could never get the case closed. Close, but not enough.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Seagull Management

We swapped some of the gears iirc. The S20 gears into the S40 bell housing caused issues. We could never get the case closed. Close, but not enough.
That wont cause that issue as long as you swap the gears on both the input and countershafts together. I'm willing to bet you accidentally used one of the wrong gears when putting it together. I've done that before, couldn't understand why the case wouldn't drop that last half inch, finally went and started counting gear teeth, had mixed up some DX and Si gears. It's easy to do. If they were both EX/Si trannys I'd say what happened was the S20 came from an Si it's got a slightly lower 5th than the S40 EX. You probably got the two larger gears which spreads the shafts just slightly.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by 94EG8
That wont cause that issue as long as you swap the gears on both the input and countershafts together. I'm willing to bet you accidentally used one of the wrong gears when putting it together. I've done that before, couldn't understand why the case wouldn't drop that last half inch, finally went and started counting gear teeth, had mixed up some DX and Si gears. It's easy to do. If they were both EX/Si trannys I'd say what happened was the S20 came from an Si it's got a slightly lower 5th than the S40 EX. You probably got the two larger gears which spreads the shafts just slightly.
It's been quite awhile since we put it together. Still sitting in the garage. But afterward we had found a thread explaining the same sort of issue. It almost closes. Less than an inch to go for sure.