Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission/shifter bushing woes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission/shifter bushing woes.

Okay, so my shifter bushing was worn to nothingness so I replaced it. Now there is a 'hissing' noise, for lack of better term, when driving with the clutch up. Even in neutral, it changes pitch with relation to the RPMs.

any one have any ideas?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission/shifter bushing woes. (old man neri)

Sounds to me like the pilot bearing.

Couldn't be the throwout/release bearing, or it would do it only when the clutch is dieengaged.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Transmission/shifter bushing woes. (.Red.EM2)

Thanks,

It only started doing this after I replaced the bushing. Is there the possibility that I did something wrong in the replacement procedure?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission/shifter bushing woes. (old man neri)

I am having the same problem... i have a 99 SI and i just replaced the shifter bushings with brand new oem sleeve, o-rings, and little plastic bushings, and the stabilizer bushings on the linkage. also a couple weeks ago i just replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, and clutch release bearing.

i never noticed any strange noises until just doing the shifter and linkage bushings, and now i hear that whirring noise, sounds just like bad bearings but chances are since they are new and WERE PROPERLY installed thats not the problem unless the new bearings were defective.

The noise coming from my car is only noticeable while DECELERATING and possibly accelerating (harder to hear while accelerating so im not sure), the whirring noise becomes VERY noticeable. when i depress the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. The noise is slightly noticeable and could be accepted as normal release bearing noise at IDLE, but also goes completely away when the clutch pedal is depressed at idle.

So my question is does any of this seem related to bushing replacement as originally asked by "old man neri" or is it more likely coincidental and something internal in the trans?