Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission going out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission going out?

hey guys, i just bought a 93 del sol. i got it for a very good price but i noticed something wrong today. when the car would be in gear, and i would not be accelerating, the car would make a grinding type noise. the car shifts great and does not grind at all when shifting. the clutch feels good and grabs well. but for example, say im in first gear, and i shift into 2nd gear and begin accelerating...say i get to about 25mph and see a stop sign so i take my foot off the gas and start to slow down. as i DEcelerate, the car makes a grinding/buzzing noise. im taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow to get them to see what they think it is, but i figured id post on here to see if anyone has experienced this problem before or may have any incite. i was thinking it may possibly be the synchros but i doubt that's it since it doesnt grind when im accelerating or when im shifting. maybe its the throw out bearing? any input would be very appreciated.

ALSO, in case it's something bad and it needs a rebuild or something drastic, a friend of mine has a tranny from a civic that had a D16Z6 motor (i have one as well). the tranny has 103,000 miles and he'd let me have it for about $200. if MY tranny needs a rebuild or something expensive, ill buy his and swap it. BUT does anyone know the tranny code for the transmission that pairs with the D16Z6 motor? i just want to make sure he has the tranny i need in case i want to buy his.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transmission going out? (s2000onvolks)

Mine did that as well. It was because of neglect and abuse, mostly. I think it was the input shaft bearing. Tons of D series transmissions make that noise. It's more of an annoyance than anything. The trans never gave any clues that it was breaking down or anything. It just made noise.

Try changing the trans fluid. Use the OEM stuff....see if it quiets it down a little. If not, then oh well. You have a noisy trans. **** happens.

It could also be loose springs in the clutch friction plate. I assume you have an S2000 because of your screen name. Remember how the AP1s had clutch buzz?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission going out? (B serious)

thank you for your input. yes the AP1's do make some noise, but i pinpointed the problem to be the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. the Del Sol does have 170k on it so it probably isn't in the best shape. i also bought it from a college kid who HAD a stupid rice wing and rice tail lights, as well as I/H/E, so i assume he probably beat on it because he thought it was fast for whatever reason. at least the fact that you've experienced it and had no issues makes me feel more at ease. im just used to downshifting and rev-matching a lot. i guess now, if i can't fix the noise, ill have to continue to press the clutch in and coast when making a stop or when im decelerating.

any more ideas of what it could be?