Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

symptoms of clutch not engaging?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of clutch not engaging?

i have a 94 del sol vtec with a b20b in it.

so a little while ago i went to the beach and got home and my car would not go into any gear at all. turns out the clutch fluid was mad low. so i filled it up and bled it and it was fine.

then i started having problems with it being hard to shift. and right around that same time it would start makin noise when id downshift and the rpms would get low, and it would keep makin the noise even after i push the clutch in to stop the car and the noise would stop when i pull the shifter out of gear.

so one day im driving and i get stopped at a light and i go to put it into first and no go. the car would not go into any gear. after pushing it out of the road i firgured out the only way to get it into gear is to turn the car off, put it in gear, then turn it on. it would start to pull some and make a loud whining/grinding noise until i took off. then when im going, when i shift it doesnt wanna go into gear. i have to basically rev match but goin up and with the clutch in. now this was all on the way back home. and before i got home, it started to smell like burning clutch i guess.

the clutch is not slipping at all. before, i tried cruising then throwing it into 5th and the rpms dont jump.

rechecked the fluid and it was still full from before but it was black. so i flushed it all out and sprayed some carb spray in there and mixed it up etc etc. then flushed everything out, filled it up with new fluid, and bled it. didnt fix it.

adjusted the clutch pedal. moved it like almost all the way out. didnt do anything.

my buddy told me to get a big pry bar and try to move the slave cylinder myself and took some pics while i was at it.
clutch in:

clutch out:

diff angle, clutch in:

diff angle, clutch out:

i couldnt really move the thing my self. hard to find a "mounting point" to move the thing without it slipping off.

ive been told to get the clutch replaced but it just seems like its not engaging all the way or at all. and im not allowed to do something like that in my driveway. ive been quoted $400 for someone to get the clutch and put it in for me professionally. not trying to spend that much.

ive been told its the throwout bearing but when im in neutral with the clutch in it doesnt make any noise.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: symptoms of clutch not engaging?

I believe your diagnosis is right, it's not disengaging. Check your master and slave cylinders to make sure they're not leaking, since you said your master cylinder was really low, and bleed it well. You may have done some damage to the seals by spraying carb cleaner in there, the only thing you're supposed to put in the clutch or brake system is clean brake fluid.

I haven't done much with the clutch in my car, but is there any way that by adjusting the pedal, you made it where it can't be pushed far enough to be disengaged? Otherwise it's probably a clutch or pressure plate problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM

bump
Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
I believe your diagnosis is right, it's not disengaging. Check your master and slave cylinders to make sure they're not leaking, since you said your master cylinder was really low, and bleed it well. You may have done some damage to the seals by spraying carb cleaner in there, the only thing you're supposed to put in the clutch or brake system is clean brake fluid.

I haven't done much with the clutch in my car, but is there any way that by adjusting the pedal, you made it where it can't be pushed far enough to be disengaged? Otherwise it's probably a clutch or pressure plate problem.
both times that filled up the fluid it never went down. even after i cleaned it out with the carb cleaner, although the car has been sitting since then.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i just went out and played with it and got a big enough bar to move it myself and not helping.

also when i have the clutch in and try to get it into gear if i hold it, it will start moving and if i get enough momentum it will go into gear.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a very similiar problem. I'm going to post pics up when I get a chance. But pretty much the clutch disc went bad and the spring holders started breaking and the clutch springs were moving around too much to allow the clutch to work. Solution: had to get a brand new clutch kit. Problem solved!

Chances are, you're gonna have to pull the transmission to diagnose the clutch parts.

That is after you've done all the bleeding procedures. You sure don't have any leaks above the clutch pedal in the cabin? Clutch M/C could be going bad as well. Check those parts first, and if everything checks out above, your problem probably lies somewhere with the clutch, then maybe on into the trans.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im thinking about getting a slave cylinder, master cylinder, and reservoir from the junkyard. would any of those be bad if the slave cylinder is moving as u see in the pics? im trying to try everything before i have to take off the tranny/ send it to the mechanic.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have someone hold your clutch in and visually see if there's pressure being loss at the slave cylinder. I have to replace my Clutch M/C, i have two go bad on me in two cars. I believe the first sign of Clutch M/Cs going bad would be a leak into the cabin above the clutch pedal. See if your floorboard and carpet is wet and/or leaking from the actually pin. If there's no leaks, I doubt that those parts are bad, but the weirdest things happen and I could be wrong.

I'm really thinking it has something to do with a release bearing or the clutch parts itself.