Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or Clutch?

Ok Im not very mechanically inclined, but am having problems with my shifting, here are some details to the best of my knowledge. My car was converted from automatic to standard before I bought it, I have a 97 Civic hx. I dont know if that is relevant or not, but it seems this car has always had problems with shifting so I thought I would not leave that out. Gears are becoming very hard to change, However when the car is not running, they go into gear very nicely, its not till I turn the car on when the gears are very hard to slip in gear. Its getting to where I cant shift into first or reverse, when the car is on, they go in fine when cars off. So is this a transmission problem or a clutch problem? I also have noticed my clutch pedal doesnt have much resistance left to it. Thnx for the help.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (Ricky Bizee)

Bump
Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you go into for example 2nd while its running ok and let out the clutch to start the car rolling?
maybe the clutch is going bad and you ruined the syncros driving it on a bad clutch.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (93egsir)

its difficult to get into any gears. it IS easier to get into 2nd/3rd than 1st/rev.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (RickyBizee)

ever throw it into another gear before 1st to see if its easier getting it in? somtimes the gears dont line up the best when u stop, and trying gears with the clutch in somtimes gets it in there.

I have a hard time getting it into gear as well for 1st and Ive had a few transmission guys drive my car and tell me its my slider assembly going to ****.

I would just reccomend a good shop to drive it and give u a quote.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (De_tour)

it almost seems that the clutch isn't engaging when fully compressed. possibly flywheel?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (RickyBizee)

1st will go in somtimes when forced, reverse will not go in without grinding, I can start off in second, thats what im doing now to drive, IM just trying to identify the problem so I can get it fixed, was making sure my tranny wasn't jacked up.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a hydraulic problem to me. Could be air in the line, a failing master cylinder, a failing slave cylinder, or a combination of the three. Have you tried bleeding the clutch hydraulic system?

Could also be a worn friction disc or a pedal adjustment issue.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (Targa250R)

I would say what he just said a master cylinder or air in the ines or could be the slave cylinder something like that to me. something happened to me like that in my crx but we fixed it. but it wasent hydralic. good luck to you
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch? (Targa250R)

how would I bleed the clutch system? Sorry Try to work with me I am not a mechanic what are some other things i could do before I go and by a clutch or take it to a shop for them to give me some huge estimate?

Thnx everyone for taking time to help out.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 PM

new update....I was driving a little earlier, and I noticed that I have to press the clutch pedal to the metal for it to even consider shifting, and when I did have it in gear with the clutch all the way down, it still moved forward at a complete stop with my foot off the brake. Another thing I noticed is that it seems to shift eaisier into gears when NOT at a complete stop....? I think my civics spooked.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM

I too had this problem. I know it can be fusterating. Replace your clutch.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (RickyBizee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RickyBizee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think my civics spooked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it just has a problem that is fixable.

To bleed the clutch all you need to know is what an 8mm wrench is and where the slave cylinder is. Get a tube and the 8mm, put the 8mm on the little nipple on the slave cylinder then put the tube over the nipple. Put the other end of the tube in a bottle and open the nipple a little bit. Go in the car and pump the clutch pedal but keep the resevior full. Bleed it until clean fluid comes out(this way you know you don't have any bubbles and clean fluid. Now reverse the process.

If this doesn't fix your problem then you probably need a new clutch. You also might have a bad slave or master cylinder. So while you are under the hood check for any leaks on those two.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:39 PM

haha I do know what a 8mm is! Thank god! I install car audio and security for a living so I have all the tools I need...I just lack the mechanic skill....I can tear a car apart from the inside, but as for fixing mechanical stuff im clueless....thanks for all the help guys...I really appreciate it.
-Ricky