Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trans Question; Does this look normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Question; Does this look normal?

I was driving down the free way yesterday in 5th gear and all the sudden it was like the trans just slipped into neutral. There was no noise or anything out of the ordinary, It just wouldnt move in any gear.

Hondata was still recognizing what gears I was in so I knew the linkage was ok. I got off and popped the hook and saw the the pass side half shaft had popped out of the trans. I had drove the car for over 20k sense the initial build with no problems.

I pull the shaft out and the very end of it was kinda shaved down a bit and the ring was loose. Was concerns me is looking in the shaft hole I see a metal "dowel" type thing sitting in a position that looks like its going to stop me from getting the new shaft all the way into the trans.

Can any of you guys look at this pic and tell me if this looks normal?

Last edited by Former User; 10-01-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trans Question; Does this look normal?

the dowel you're seeing just indicates that your trans does not have limited slip. it's supposed to be there. what concerns me though that you should get a picture of is the area of the shaft that you say looked "shaved down". not sure what you mean by that exactly.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant get my camera to take a close up if my life depended on it. Can you see how the very end teeth are flattened? Above the clip.

Last edited by Former User; 10-01-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

axle popped out of the tranny, most likely because it was never seated right. Don't worry about the splined end of the axle, that will happen if an axle pops out. Also, you should replace that axle seal, it looks messed up in the pick, and while you're under there replace the transmission fluid you lost (which is what caused your tranny to pop out of 5th)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How likely is it that I drove the car for 24,000 miles with the axle not seated properly?

Putting 194 horse to the wheels, Whole shots, Burn outs and fast highway driving and not leak a drop a trans fluid along the way or have any trans problems for that matter.

I think you took a wild guess,Which is cool. Maybe you can elaborate more on what brought you to that conclusion because I personally seated the axles a year and a half ago.

I asked the question about the dowel that shows in non lsd transmissions simply because its been awhile and had forgot what the shaft hole looked like.

I went ahead and installed a new axle into the passenger side and it didnt seem to seat as close to the trans as the last one did. It sets about a 16th of an inch away from the case. I cant even remember if that's normal...I seem to remember it butting up to the case but maybe it didnt?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I last did axles, they weren't flush with the spindles until I put the impact gun on them. So far so good. Also, being low on tranny fluid WILL cause your car to pop/slip out of 5th gear. Did you tab in the axle nut, I'm assuming not.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EKJOE
I cant get my camera to take a close up if my life depended on it. Can you see how the very end teeth are flattened? Above the clip.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/SDC16023.jpg
Your camera's autofocus is focusing on the ground. Lay the axle on a table (or something equivalent) so that the background is a few feet away. Then put your camera on macro mode (aka THE FLOWER)

If you care to take it a few steps further, turn off the flash, and lay the camera on a bean bag (or tripod) and turn the timer on on the camera. By doing so you can get a long exposure and a close up on the object. The timer lets you take your hands off the camera to make the shot without vibrating the camera.

I made these shots with a really cheap digital camera

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...uaife_play.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ig_bearing.jpg

Why did i just step into a transmission thread and talk about photography?

Last edited by Bense; 07-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: Trans Question; Does this look normal?

Did you tab in the axle nut, I'm assuming not.

Yes the axle nut was tabbed, Im not sure I understand where your coming from. You know the axle poped out of the trans side right?

You think it had something specifically to do with 5th gear and being low on fluid? I should specify the car never came out of 5th gear, The axle poped out of the trans while I was in 5th gear. Hondata still read I was in 5th gear and when I would switch gears (which obviously didnt make the car move because my axle wasent attached) Hondata read all gear changes.

I hit the axle nut with the impact when I reassembled everything and it did not suck in anymore...Which worries me. I made auto zone pull out 4 sets of axles until they found the right length....Which turned out to be 96 GSR axles.

Im running a B16 trans out of a 99 si in a 97 EK hatch BTW. I have no clue what the axles that were in there were off of, but they worked for a long time. The were originally attached to a B18B with S80 trans....Which means more than likely, GSR shafts. Im having a bitch of a time getting the drivers side to seat to the intermediate shaft also....Weeeeee.

Thanks for the photo lesson dude! Nice pics!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just sayin, I had the pass. side pop on me after hundreds of miles on my swapped z6... I would definitely check out what size shaft works with your tranny. It could really help.
Good Luck mang
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if im not mistaken the way hondata calculates gear is based on engine speed and vehicle speed. Thats one of the reasons it needs to know gear ratios. Theres nothing "telling it" what gear its in.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm. I know its not the VSS telling hondata what gear im in because It works when im sitting still. But your right that there's nothing dedicated to telling hondata what gear the car is in. Its interesting, I wonder where it gets the information from?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you tab in the axle nut, I'm assuming not.

Yes the axle nut was tabbed, Im not sure I understand where your coming from. You know the axle poped out of the trans side right?

You think it had something specifically to do with 5th gear and being low on fluid? I should specify the car never came out of 5th gear, The axle poped out of the trans while I was in 5th gear. Hondata still read I was in 5th gear and when I would switch gears (which obviously didnt make the car move because my axle wasent attached) Hondata read all gear changes.

I hit the axle nut with the impact when I reassembled everything and it did not suck in anymore...Which worries me. I made auto zone pull out 4 sets of axles until they found the right length....Which turned out to be 96 GSR axles.

Im running a B16 trans out of a 99 si in a 97 EK hatch BTW. I have no clue what the axles that were in there were off of, but they worked for a long time. The were originally attached to a B18B with S80 trans....Which means more than likely, GSR shafts. Im having a bitch of a time getting the drivers side to seat to the intermediate shaft also....Weeeeee.
Sorry, guess I misunderstood your problem. I took the following quote as the problem being your car popped out of 5th gear as you were driving and that the axle issue followed.
I was driving down the free way yesterday in 5th gear and all the sudden it was like the trans just slipped into neutral. There was no noise or anything out of the ordinary, It just wouldnt move in any gear.
Anyhow, did the axle splines line up inside the differential and pop in, or just slide in? As far as the drivers side lining up, I ended up using a very little bit of oil on the axle and the halfshaft so that was little resistance, and it slid in and locked like butter. Good luck, hopefully its something simple that we are all overlooking, as that seems to be the case with 99% of Honda caused headaches.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to autozone for lifetime warranty axles woot wooot
Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old thread hope this helps out the next viewer like it did for me, I went to Honda Dealership got the IM shaft Seal which cost about $20... my IM shaft was just sliding into the drivers side of the transmission & i didnt realize that it was supposed to "snap" into the tranny like the passanger side axle. So if you unbolt the IM shaft (3) 12mm bolts & axle, & u can slide it in & out freely then you need a new seal because once i changed the seal on the tranny i noticed the "snap" in & no more leaks... do not drive the car leaking tranny fluid 5th gear popping out is the early sign of tranny damage from low oil.. the seal only cost $20 & its 1hr or so labor depending on your axle removal/install skill level.