Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Swap Tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Swap Tips

Ok, Putting a CX tranny into a 93 del sol si to temporarily replace a broken tranny until summer.

Start tmr morning and we're on a limited time schedule, So what i need to know are hints and tips for doing this successful the first time, i don't want any unfriendly surprises. So anything i should know before i venture into this. (Special tools? things i need the hanes manual likes to miss the little things) anything at all would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (PureBlood)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

Tools I used:

2 jackstands
1 Pro Lift Jack
Stock honda jack (for under oil pan and lifting car up)
Block of wood (between jack and oil pan when lowering engine)
Oil Drain Pan
Hammer
Garden Shovel (To Remove Axles)
Funnel w/ tube (to put MTF in)
Screwdrivers
10-19mm sockets w/ 3/8 wrench
8mm allenhead socket (this is only if you disassemble tranny)
Big *** breaker bar
Lots of Pepsi, doritos, and patience

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
Old 12-17-2003, 05:10 PM

you are the man, im gonna rebuild my z6 tranny when i get it out, you've given me a little more confidence, this is the one area of vehicles i hate to touch transmissions are evil, Ill pull apart a motor and re-ring it no issues, but i HATE trannies
Old 12-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (BauleyCivic)

You forgot the beer and weed for after its done and you have already taken it for a test ride around the "hood". Make sure you have baggies for ALL the bolts so you don't lose any. I didn't and I lost like 3 bolts that were quite important.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 6mm punch from a reputable manufacturer to remove the spring pin on the shift linkage. Trust me on this.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (Jim Truett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a 6mm punch from a reputable manufacturer to remove the spring pin on the shift linkage. Trust me on this.</TD></TR></TABLE>
OH hell yes....that is GREAT advice. It took me FOREVER to figure that one out.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (Jim Truett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a 6mm punch from a reputable manufacturer to remove the spring pin on the shift linkage. Trust me on this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont mean to jack the thread, but im replacing my tranny on friday as well, when u remove the spring pin, do u really need a new one like the haynes manual says, or is the stock one reuseable. and how many quarts of MTF do i need.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (GTlvr82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTlvr82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OH hell yes....that is GREAT advice. It took me FOREVER to figure that one out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, your fingers will thank you for it!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (tzonni)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tzonni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont mean to jack the thread, but im replacing my tranny on friday as well, when u remove the spring pin, do u really need a new one like the haynes manual says, or is the stock one reuseable. and how many quarts of MTF do i need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can re-use the pin. Just remember to put it's collar back on. If your tranny is totally dry, you will probably need a bit over 2 quarts. Buy four because you will want to change the fluid soon after installation, if your new tranny has been sitting around for a while.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:55 PM

cool. thansk man
Old 12-17-2003, 05:57 PM
tangb2023

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PureBlood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> this is the one area of vehicles i hate to touch transmissions are evil, Ill pull apart a motor and re-ring it no issues, but i HATE trannies</TD></TR></TABLE>

so why would u need tips..just to swap trannys..
somone break out the picture of the attention ***** doing kartwheels.

**** cracks me up.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (tzonni)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tzonni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont mean to jack the thread, but im replacing my tranny on friday as well, when u remove the spring pin, do u really need a new one like the haynes manual says, or is the stock one reuseable. and how many quarts of MTF do i need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its reusable. To get the spring pin out use one of the 6" bolts from the A/C compressor to pound it out.

You need 2 quarts of MTF. I recommend Redline MTL or GM Synchromesh Friction Modified.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tangb2023 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so why would u need tips..just to swap trannys..
somone break out the picture of the attention ***** doing kartwheels.

**** cracks me up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Transmissions are a pain in the ***...my friend who has built 2 LS/VTECs from the ground up screwed up his LS tranny trying to replace bearings. They are very difficult.

for being ignorant
Old 12-18-2003, 01:22 PM
tangb2023

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Transmissions are a pain in the ***...my friend who has built 2 LS/VTECs from the ground up screwed up his LS tranny trying to replace bearings. They are very difficult.

for being ignorant</TD></TR></TABLE>

If u read the post he was not talking about building the tranny fool he was just wanting to swap it out. for being dumb and cant read.. learn how to take a joke.. cause i read some of yours.. the **** u say
Old 12-19-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Tranny Swap Tips (tangb2023)

punching the pin outta the shift linkage, used a squarehead screw driver with a square that fit just inside the pin and the collar resting perfectly on the little bastard, had to haul the tranny out with the shift linkage still atteched wo we could get a good hammer on it.