Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 tranny problem

hi guys I have a HUGE problem my car will not move. I am not sure what my problem is I was coming home from my cousins house, and I was slowing down at a red light it turned green. so I light the clutch out to take off again and I heard a noise like something fell of my car or something. when i pressed my gas all my car did was rev rev and rev. I tried all the gears and nothing not even stall it just reved up. I am not sure what is wrong did my clutch go out, or did my linkages messed up or what any ideas before i spend money on a bunch of stuff i don't need. In my honest opinion I think my tranny went out before my second gear would pop out every now and then . I had to hold it in so it wouldn't do that. any input would be fantastic thank you
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tranny problem

dont know about the gear poping out but i was leaving a gas station and my axle poped out all the motor will do is rev, if you dont have a lsd tranny then its not gonna go anywhere, try look ing at the axle to see if its poped out and theirs something else that could be wrong about the tranny as well but i cant think right now because im watching dane cook so good luck lol
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

check if there is any oil leaking out had the same probly blew the casing and the tranny seazed up also what ^ said check if the axel popped out
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were in too low of a gear (like first) and going 40,50 when you let the clutch pedal out, you could have blown up your clutch disc. I agree with both above. Check for any fluid leaking from trans, if so then check for either axle having come out of the trans. If an axle popped out then you will (should unless you didn't fill it up all the way) lose fluid until it gets below the bottom of the axle seal. If no axles popped out of the trans and you have a leak from the trans, then yeah start looking for the crack or hole because it probably grenaded inside.
A trans can pop out of gear for a few reasons: bad dog teeth on gear, bad synchronizer sleeve, bad/bent shift fork, weak/broken detent spring, bad detent on shift fork rod, binding linkage, bad gear bearing causing more than one gear to be engaged (entirely or partially) at the same time, I've even seen where a bad input shaft bearing caused 2nd gear then reverse and then another gear to pop out.
Start with the easy checks before condemning the trans.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok lol no i wasn't going 40-50 and threw it to second. i was going about 20-25 and put it in second and went about my business. but i will check out my axles but in case i do have to change the tranny. all i have to do it unbolt the tranny and stuff and put in the new one right? i don't have to do anything with the clutch right ?? i have down automatic trannys just not manual trannys.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i checked and the speedometer doesn't move when i put it in gear. it feels like i am not even putting it in gear like its not even going in so any ideas??
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, get under your car and check for anything broke or loose then tell us if you cant find anything. check if you shift linkage is still connected and fine, remove the starter and inspect the clutch while someone turns the crank, remove the dust cover for the flywheel to see if theres any chunks of clutch or metal in there, make sure your axels are in all the way (no gap in between the trans and axle), if you have a swap and it is your axle it might be the one on the intermediate shaft not being in all the way (happened to me), check for leaks or broken parts bro. you have to get dirty for any of us to help you any furthur because were not there to see for ourselves. let us know what you find, thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, you can drain some fluid from the tranny and see if there are any metal chunks or shavings. i hope you have a magnetic drain plug cause all you have to do is check that but if you dont, buy a magnetic retriever tool and while the oil is draining out, shove it in the draining hole and check for shavings then.