Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

...Tranny issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Tranny issues :(

Ok, so I am completely willing to admit that I am a noob when it comes to transmissions, specifically working on them, so to cover my rear end I had it worked on. I could have sworn that it was the throw out bearing making the noise, when the clutch pedal is all the way out it rattles like a marble in a tin can. So, after already spending roughly 600 they tell me that the sound is still there. I had the problem appraised and it is looking like 900 in labor alone. Oh yeah, and the guy said it was the input bearing, I believe. I haven't really searched quite yet but I am willing to hear all plausible advice, buy a new one, refurbished one, just have the work done or possibly find another shop at a cheaper price.

Almost forgot, I have a 96 Civic Ex with a 98 GSR swap, so a y80 transmission.

I wouldn't be surprised if I have made some errorous statements but we all have our days...or weeks. Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Re: ...Tranny issues :( (infinitypro12)

if the sound continues instead of happening and going away when the clutch is pressed its the pilot bushing. this is the bushing that supports the input shaft tip. this bushing is located at the rear end of the center of the cranksaft, its pressed into the crankshaft.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Re: ...Tranny issues :( (fastrc2)

bump
Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[/QUOTE]if the sound continues instead of happening and going away when the clutch is pressed its the pilot bushing. this is the bushing that supports the input shaft tip. this bushing is located at the rear end of the center of the cranksaft, its pressed into the crankshaft.[/QUOTE]

The sound does go away when the pedal is depressed. Is this just an annoyance or a serious problem starting. i.e. Do I need to get this taken care of immediately or eventually. I imagine the answer is depends... Anyone else have some input on the whole situation.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Re: ...Tranny issues :( (infinitypro12)

if it goes away, it can be either the throwout or the input bearing. actually, if it does not occur when in neutral clutch pedal released [pedal up] the input bearing is spinning at that time, if it only happenes when you push the pedal and then fades away right abotu the time when you can puch it into first it is the throwout. its the kinda thing you can let go for a little whiel, generally long enough to sensibly set aside the money to get it done. overall i would reccomend getting it done. if the sound gets worse.... definatly. while in there may as well replace the clutch. if not, at least the minimum of the throwout. but make sure they do the step that most shops overlook, regreasing the ball pivots for the throwout fork, and the splines on the input shaft. this will avoid wear patetrs that cause a funny feeling clutch pedal and annoying creaks.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it goes away, it can be either the throwout or the input bearing. actually, if it does not occur when in neutral clutch pedal released [pedal up] the input bearing is spinning at that time, if it only happenes when you push the pedal and then fades away right abotu the time when you can puch it into first it is the throwout. its the kinda thing you can let go for a little whiel, generally long enough to sensibly set aside the money to get it done. overall i would reccomend getting it done. if the sound gets worse.... definatly. while in there may as well replace the clutch. if not, at least the minimum of the throwout. but make sure they do the step that most shops overlook, regreasing the ball pivots for the throwout fork, and the splines on the input shaft. this will avoid wear patetrs that cause a funny feeling clutch pedal and annoying creaks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I am thinking that it is the input bearing because I just had a clutch kit installed. I thought it was the TO bearing and from what I read it was better to do a clutch install. The sound didn't go away but my pedal and shifts are buttery smooth now. Well, I am going to have to contact some shops and just have the work done because it is about the same if I bought a new or used tranny, and I will also know what is done to it ha ha. Yeah, I made a mistake and I am paying for it.