Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing belt/water pump service

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt/water pump service

I have a 2000 Homda Civic EX coupe with 182k miles and it's due for timing belt service. I have been juggling around with taking it to Honda dealer to get it serviced but I do not have much money to pay for it. Most shops require to pay all in front and I don't have a credit card. There's a small shop that's under Napa that is quoting $425 for the service but I'm concerned about the quality of the parts. I prefer genuine Honda parts. I'm afraid if it fails and the engine is gone. The last time I had the service was at 91k miles at a independent Honda repair shop.

Any thoughts and suggestions, let me know. :-)
Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt/water pump service

I have never bought or installed a Honda belt. I always purchase Dayco belts and hoses whenever possible. I was a stock holder of Dayco at one time and they make , or use to make, about 85 % of all OEM belts and hoses installed by all leading car manufactors. I am not aware of a better made product, but my experience is limited. If it gives you a greater peace of mind, less worry, by all means, go purchase the Honda parts and find a reputable installer. Of course the dealerships will only install genuine parts and I have heard quoates of 800 plus for the task.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Napa sells a decent kit.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bandit67
I have never bought or installed a Honda belt. I always purchase Dayco belts and hoses whenever possible. I was a stock holder of Dayco at one time and they make , or use to make, about 85 % of all OEM belts and hoses installed by all leading car manufactors. I am not aware of a better made product, but my experience is limited. If it gives you a greater peace of mind, less worry, by all means, go purchase the Honda parts and find a reputable installer. Of course the dealerships will only install genuine parts and I have heard quoates of 800 plus for the task.
What would I search for a reputable installer that can install the parts that I bring myself? I can't remember because most shops only install the parts that are from the shop itself. They don't accept outside parts.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Napa sells a decent kit.
The mechanic told me the timing belt kit lasts between 80,000 to 100,000 miles at the Napa contracted shop. I change it every 90k miles but the manual says 105k miles under normal operating conditions but in extreme conditions would be only 60k miles.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine with the Napa stuff just make sure you know what the expected life span is for the belt and be sure to change it out before that. Your alternative is to invest in some tools and do it yourself. The only physical hard part is removing the main pulley. And the parts aren't expensive if you order online, at Majestic Honda for example.

As for searching for a "reputable" installer, you're pretty much on your own. If it's a local garage or shop you can always try to yelp it.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by SequoiaHonda
The mechanic told me the timing belt kit lasts between 80,000 to 100,000 miles at the Napa contracted shop. I change it every 90k miles but the manual says 105k miles under normal operating conditions but in extreme conditions would be only 60k miles.
90-100k is my mark, I just fear sometimes mechanics don't tension it properly. Basically what they do is align cams and crank, belt on and tighten the belt, rotate crank to verify all timing marks and thats it. What they failed to realize is that you need to loosen the tension bolt, turn 3 teeth and then tighten the tension bolt. Now its tension properly.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
You'll be fine with the Napa stuff just make sure you know what the expected life span is for the belt and be sure to change it out before that. Your alternative is to invest in some tools and do it yourself. The only physical hard part is removing the main pulley. And the parts aren't expensive if you order online, at Majestic Honda for example.

As for searching for a "reputable" installer, you're pretty much on your own. If it's a local garage or shop you can always try to yelp it.
Originally Posted by tony_2018
90-100k is my mark, I just fear sometimes mechanics don't tension it properly. Basically what they do is align cams and crank, belt on and tighten the belt, rotate crank to verify all timing marks and thats it. What they failed to realize is that you need to loosen the tension bolt, turn 3 teeth and then tighten the tension bolt. Now its tension properly.
I fear that, too. I just need to be sure they install the parts property and last long time like the last mechanic did at 91k miles. I don't have the tools and experience to install it myself and would prefer have someone do it for me. I would hate to pay $1,500 for a collided Pistons and bent valves. Shops that work on foreign cars are hard to come by here, not many choices. It's easy to find when I used to live in Seattle area. It sucks in the Midwest.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by SequoiaHonda
I fear that, too. I just need to be sure they install the parts property and last long time like the last mechanic did at 91k miles. I don't have the tools and experience to install it myself and would prefer have someone do it for me. I would hate to pay $1,500 for a collided Pistons and bent valves. Shops that work on foreign cars are hard to come by here, not many choices. It's easy to find when I used to live in Seattle area. It sucks in the Midwest.
Thats why I always recommend finding a mechanic you can build a relationship with. I'm not saying get on there good side, but to find not only reputable but an honest and reliable mechanic.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol...I don't know if there's a "mechanic" out there bad enough to not tension the belt. You'd have to be a goddamn ******* to forget that step. Its very unlikely that someone will forget that.

Buy your own parts from bernardiparts.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com if you want genuine Honda parts.

$425 for parts and labor sounds very cheap. I'm not saying they won't do a good job...but I'd be a bit more inquisitive. T belts aren't difficult. But they do require someone to be very methodical and attentive.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price would be inline with non-delaer cost here. Thats really close to what the PO of my 99 accord paid.

Be clear on what they will be doing. Should be New belt, new water pump, new tensioner, new cam and crank seals.

IIRC a Honda OEM Belt is Gates. I've bought the complete Gates kits for Pilots, CRVs and Civics and never had an issue.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:29 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

BTW: OEM Honda timing belts are almost all made by Unitta. Unitta is the Gates brand in Asia. You can buy Gates brand belts typically for a lot less here in the States than OEM Honda. Especially if you buy timing belt kit. The Gates timing belt kits also include OEM rollers (usually made by Koyo or NSK). The Gates kit is definitely the way to go.

The only item in the gates kit that is questionable is the water pump. I would skip the gates pump if you can (made in china) and go for the OEM water pumps. They are almost exclusively made by Yamada, of which you cannot purchase in a non-Honda box. I have a Gates pump on my wife's Pilot and it's working just fine.

RockAuto or ebay usually have the best prices on the Gates timing belt kits (with or without water pump). You will get a better deal if you bring your own parts to the mechanic.

Gates timing kit + OEM water pump. Least expensive & highest quality way to go.

Honda P72 OEM belt (integra GSR & Type R) says Unitta right on it:

Gates/Unitta international logo.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gates makes the belts for honda. Does that mean that gates aftermarket belts are the SAME as the dealer spec? Nope.

Not that they've been problematic, but the Honda parts are likely of better quality.

The gates water pumps, however,can be a bit cheesy.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM
#1 Super Guy

Originally Posted by B serious
Gates makes the belts for honda. Does that mean that gates aftermarket belts are the SAME as the dealer spec? Nope.

Not that they've been problematic, but the Honda parts are likely of better quality.

The gates water pumps, however,can be a bit cheesy.
Straight from page 3 of their Timing Belt Replacement Interval Guide...

http://www.gates.com/~/media/Files/G...ementGuide.pdf

Originally Posted by Gates Timing Belt Brochure

Timing Belts
Gates timing belts are OE-equivalent or better in service life and performance.
• Aramid reinforced nylon jackets and back side jackets for longer wear.
• High grade HNBR rubber for superior heat and contamination resistance.
• Premium high strength tensile members.
Unlike some competitors,Gates does not substitute inferior belt constructions for premium
constructions specified by the OEM on any application.

• Most extensive coverage in the industry. Import or Domestic.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will do it:
Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Aisin TKH-005 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

Then buy accessory belts , camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, valve cover seal & spark plug seals (if needed) locally or also on amazon .. free shipping
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see the impeller side of that water pump. I wouldn't trust it. Also, the Gates kit they ship now also comes with an inferior impeller on the pump. Definitely stick with OEM for the pump. Belt, Gates is fine. Tensioner, also stick with OEM, or another supplier that you know will be NTN/Koyo.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 AM
Fish Twig

NAR is right. There is a thread on here where someone compared the water pumps on all parts, even gates two separate pumps. You wanna get the oem yamada pump because of impeller.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM
#1 Super Guy

Originally Posted by NotARacist
...Tensioner, also stick with OEM, or another supplier that you know will be NTN/Koyo.
Honda shows the OEM suplier on their parts pages (like OEMAcuraParts.com). My B & C-series motors used Koyo and my D-series use NSK.

I'm sure NTN is a good alternative since Honda uses them for their performance-car wheel bearings (DC2).
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a gates kit on my 98 lx. Works good and came with a koyo tensioner and appeared to be a good quality water pump. Doesn't sound like OP is building a race car so I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Pretty sure the kit I got was like $75 on amazon and about the same on rock auto.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have gotten the timing belt, water pump, tension bearing, spring and other parts done last month for $585 including one front engine mount was worn out. It's working good so far.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

did you get oem pump/ gates belts?
for 500 installed with oem parts I provided, I wouldn't even bother doing it myself, id let the shop do it. Here in NY- ive never seen anyone pay under 800 for the job
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's oem timing belt and tenisor bearing and spring but water pump, have no idea what brand. I will ask them. I'm in a small town in Iowa, that's why it's cheap. In California, you won't find any installed for under $700-800.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The private Honda Acura shop a block from my place whom is Honda Factory Trained does it for under 500. He rarely does the tensioner as he says they are rarely bad. Probably swaps the spring though and always OEM water pump and belt. And he throws in a valve adjustment at the same time.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 981
Size:  56.9 KB