Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt tension

Ok, I replaced my timing belt as well as the tensioner and water pump roughly 2 weeks ago on my y7. I left my top timing belt cover off mostly just because I like the look of the exposed cam gear. My concern is that I've noticed a bit more play in my timing belt than when I initially installed it. Do new timing belts stretch as they wear in and do they need to be retightened after a period of time? I broke my original belt when trying to remove my harmonic balancer, so I had nothing to compare the tension when I replaced it. I did however, watch a few videos to get an idea of how tight the belt should be and set my new one accordingly. The kit I bought was not an expensive kit by any means, I paid $35 buck for the belt, be water pump, tensioner and all the corresponding seals on Ebay. Should I be concerned? I certainly don't want to wind up jumping a tooth on my cam gear. Also, is there an accurate way to measure timing belt tension other than just pushing it back and forth and feeling of it without removing the bottom timing cover? All input is appreciated, thanks guys!!!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt tension

Also, the kit came with 2 seals that I have no clue where they belong, I will get pics of them up in the next day or so. They are rubber and one has a spring in the seal. Both are roughly 2" in diameter.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Sounds like the front main seal (the one with the spring inside the seal) and the cam seal.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a very specific procedure to set the tension, literally there is only one correct way to do it. It is in the FSM not a youtube video.

You can reset the tension with the crank pulley and lower cover on since there is a hole in the lower cover to reach the tensioner bolt.

You should have an upper cover on. If anything falls into the belt compartment it will tear up the belt and could lead to valve damage.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

By very specific, you mean turning the crank counter clockwise so the little spring can take up the slack on the belt, and torquing to spec the tensioner.

They make clear timing covers if you're just absolutely gay for seeing the cam gear

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

suppose to tension the belt after verifying timing marks on both the cam and crank. 2 seals = cam and crank/oil pump.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just paint the old belt to the cam and crank and transfer the marking to my new belt. None of this guessing nonsense :p

Fyi I also always use the cheapest name brand belt. I think I got a continental kit with gmb pump for $65, but ive also used a dayco kit aswell

Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
By very specific, you mean turning the crank clockwise so the little spring can take up the slack on the belt, and torquing to spec the tensioner.

They make clear timing covers if you're just absolutely gay for seeing the cam gear
That engine is rotated COUNTER CLOCKWISE....
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell
Ok, I replaced my timing belt as well as the tensioner and water pump roughly 2 weeks ago on my y7. I left my top timing belt cover off mostly just because I like the look of the exposed cam gear. My concern is that I've noticed a bit more play in my timing belt than when I initially installed it. Do new timing belts stretch as they wear in and do they need to be retightened after a period of time? I broke my original belt when trying to remove my harmonic balancer, so I had nothing to compare the tension when I replaced it. I did however, watch a few videos to get an idea of how tight the belt should be and set my new one accordingly. The kit I bought was not an expensive kit by any means, I paid $35 buck for the belt, be water pump, tensioner and all the corresponding seals on Ebay. Should I be concerned? I certainly don't want to wind up jumping a tooth on my cam gear. Also, is there an accurate way to measure timing belt tension other than just pushing it back and forth and feeling of it without removing the bottom timing cover? All input is appreciated, thanks guys!!!
When checking the timing you turn the crank COUNTERCLOCKWISE not clockwise as that will likely cause it to jump.
As for the procedure to set the belt. Always turn the crank counterclockwise. One you turn it a couple revolutions and verify the belt is in time you turn it counterclockwise until the belt is taunt. Tighten the adjuster bolt. Tighten the crank bolt. Apply sealant on each corner of the covers and install. The belt should not need to be adjusted again.
BTW You'll want to use the covers as it has been pointed out the problem if something get in there. I seal these as well to keep dust out.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grcauto
That engine is rotated COUNTER CLOCKWISE....

Oops! Good catch!

Here is a very detailed write up to make up for my mistake

https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/thre...7-d16y8.17671/
Old 02-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=chrysler kid;51850224]Oops! Good catch!

It's one of those odd *****. After jumping time on a couple helps me to remember.