Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

S4C Transmission Stuck in 5th after Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Icon5 S4C Transmission Stuck in 5th after Rebuild

1999 EM1 with the factory transmission. I did a LS-VTEC conversion, and decided to put new bearings and carbon synchros in the transmission while I had it out, which I regret now. I put it all back together, the engine started, but if I let the clutch out (on jack stands) the wheels spin, at a speed that corresponds to fifth gear. The transmission would shift into all the other gears on the bench and in the car, although 5th felt a little vague and not clicking like the others, so I had some doubts. With the engine running it will not go into reverse even with the clutch in. With the engine running it will go into the other forward gears, but the transmission will not turn and the engine stalls when the clutch is eased out. Obviously, I didn't get it back together correctly. If anyone has any insight into these transmissions as to specifically what I might have done, or if there is something else wrong, I would appreciate it. I was 90% sure I had it right.

I have the manual and tried to follow it. It didn't seem like there were options. I found a pretty good youtube and I redid the main shaft to be sure, so I am most confident in the main shaft, even though that is where the 5th-R shifter is. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: S4C Transmission Stuck in 5th after Rebuild

Just buy a rebuilt transmission.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

double check your work and check the FSM again. best that can be said.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

It's likely you failed to line up the shift forks with the interlock or shift change holder.
Originally Posted by muellersfan
Just buy a rebuilt transmission.
Bad advice, these transmissions are very easy to rebuild.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I will look for that, although it seems to go into reverse.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
Bad advice, these transmissions are very easy to rebuild.
Haha...ask the OP how easy it was to screw up a rebuild. Gotta know your audience.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by NukeNinja
1999 EM1 with the factory transmission. I did a LS-VTEC conversion, and decided to put new bearings and carbon synchros in the transmission while I had it out, which I regret now. I put it all back together, the engine started, but if I let the clutch out (on jack stands) the wheels spin, at a speed that corresponds to fifth gear. The transmission would shift into all the other gears on the bench and in the car, although 5th felt a little vague and not clicking like the others, so I had some doubts. With the engine running it will not go into reverse even with the clutch in. With the engine running it will go into the other forward gears, but the transmission will not turn and the engine stalls when the clutch is eased out. Obviously, I didn't get it back together correctly. If anyone has any insight into these transmissions as to specifically what I might have done, or if there is something else wrong, I would appreciate it. I was 90% sure I had it right.

I have the manual and tried to follow it. It didn't seem like there were options. I found a pretty good youtube and I redid the main shaft to be sure, so I am most confident in the main shaft, even though that is where the 5th-R shifter is. Thanks in advance!
OOORRRHHH BUT

Thanks, I will look for that, although it seems to go into reverse.
HMM..:thinkingemoji:

Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Some people should not work on transmissions.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people should not work on transmissions.

Have you ever? It's very easy for a gear to engage when trying to line up all 3 shift forks with the interlock while also trying to get them in their respective holes in the case along with the mainshaft and counter shaft all at the same time.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Fish Twig

Have you ever? It's very easy for a gear to engage when trying to line up all 3 shift forks with the interlock while also trying to get them in their respective holes in the case along with the mainshaft and counter shaft all at the same time.
Which is why I said

double check your work and check the FSM again. best that can be said.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OOORRRHHH BUT

So, yeah, to clarify, without the engine running it will shift into reverse with a nice metallic click. With the engine running, it just grinds. Which makes me believe the shifter is moving the shift fork.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate all the comments.

I have already sunk $550 in parts into this transmission, so I don't really want to just buy a rebuilt. But that is still on the table if necessary.

These transmissions are difficult to assemble, but not that complicated in principle.

The manual is a bit vague. Its exploded diagrams do not show components in order of assembly. And some drawings do not show parts in sufficient detail to determine their orientation.

But what really makes Honda transmissions difficult is that the transmission is completely unrestrained until you glue the case together. Also, the intermediate shaft is not in position until the case is glued together and you pry it up. So there is no way to tell if you are correct or not until you are done. There is no way to test anything. And you really don't know if it's right until you install the axles, connect the shift linkage, fill it with fluid, and spin the input shaft. Which is where I am at. My plan is to “double check my work and check the FSM again”… with an emphasis on the interface between the shifter and the 5-R shift fork.

So thanks for the input. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

When you open it back up, make sure you haven't left the 5th gear synchro spring out of the transmission. As others have said, it may be the interlock / change holder, also.

Stupid question, but are you sure your clutch is adjusted properly? Some of the symptoms sound like this could be happening.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you ever?
Of course

It's very easy for a gear to engage when trying to line up all 3 shift forks with the interlock while also trying to get them in their respective holes in the case along with the mainshaft and counter shaft all at the same time.
It may be easy for you and me, but does that mean that everyone should and does have the same aptitude? Of course not. Recommending the OP to buy a rebuilt transmission might in the end save him time, money, and frustration. Or do you think everyone should keep beating their head on the wall without considering other viable options?

Similarly, do you think everyone should attempt to rebuild their block? Think about it.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Fish Twig

which, again, I stated he needs to take it apart. its a pain but guess what, you just gotta do what you have to. There's no shifting combination that is gonna get you to free up that reverse
Old 12-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which, again, I stated he needs to take it apart. its a pain but guess what, you just gotta do what you have to. There's no shifting combination that is gonna get you to free up that reverse
Unless you are willing to drive to the OP's location and tutor him on rebuilding a manual transmission, then you may be just leading him to make a bad situation worse.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Fish Twig

thats the only way I see how to confirm what went wrong inside the transmission unless there's some magical camera that can weave its way around gears going through the vss or fill hole.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the only way I see how to confirm what went wrong inside the transmission unless there's some magical camera that can weave its way around gears going through the vss or fill hole.
Is this thread about you or the OP?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I There is no way to test anything. And you really don't know if it's right until you install the axles, connect the shift linkage, fill it with fluid, and spin the input shaft.
This is where you're completely wrong. You bench shift the trans after closing the case and the snap ring seats. Then you pretend your hand is the engine and make sure it spins freely in all gears.

Use the guide in the transmission forum.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is where you're completely wrong. You bench shift the trans after closing the case and the snap ring seats. Then you pretend your hand is the engine and make sure it spins freely in all gears.

Use the guide in the transmission forum.
Didn't think to turn the shaft in each gear. That would have caught it probably.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The 800 pound gorilla in the room: Changing anything that changes the installation height of the main shaft requires checking/re-shimming the main shaft end play distance. Verifying this is a very specialized process and requires unique equipment to properly test and set. Most DIY'ers skip past this part in the FSM and quietly cross their fingers and hope everything works great after re-assembling the transmission. Some people just get lucky and the parts changed simply fall within the acceptable range of end play clearance. Then they say that working on manual transmissions is easy. In this case, it appears that if the OP did everything right inside, he just wasn't lucky. Now I am not ruling out the possibility of another issue, but if after opening up the trans and seeing no "smoking gun" as to what you have already done... you must consider what I have outlined.

The items that would require this test and re-shimming would be any of the following: The mainshaft itself, clutch housing main shaft bearing, trans case main shaft bearing, 3/4 spacer collar, 5/R spacer collar, 3/4 hub or 5/R hub.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The 800 pound gorilla in the room: Changing anything that changes the installation height of the main shaft requires checking/re-shimming the main shaft end play distance.
This is true but my money is on 5th gear being engaged when he closed the case.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Fish Twig

Is this thread about you or the OP?
its a suggestion
Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The 800 pound gorilla in the room: Changing anything that changes the installation height of the main shaft requires checking/re-shimming the main shaft end play distance. Verifying this is a very specialized process and requires unique equipment to properly test and set. Most DIY'ers skip past this part in the FSM and quietly cross their fingers and hope everything works great after re-assembling the transmission. Some people just get lucky and the parts changed simply fall within the acceptable range of end play clearance. Then they say that working on manual transmissions is easy. In this case, it appears that if the OP did everything right inside, he just wasn't lucky. Now I am not ruling out the possibility of another issue, but if after opening up the trans and seeing no "smoking gun" as to what you have already done... you must consider what I have outlined.

The items that would require this test and re-shimming would be any of the following: The mainshaft itself, clutch housing main shaft bearing, trans case main shaft bearing, 3/4 spacer collar, 5/R spacer collar, 3/4 hub or 5/R hub.
I did actually think of this. In my case, I changed only the bearings which should be within a few ten thousandths of one another. So I blew it off. But I will keep this in mind, especially if there is no smoking gun.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I did actually think of this. In my case, I changed only the bearings which should be within a few ten thousandths of one another. So I blew it off. But I will keep this in mind, especially if there is no smoking gun.
You can get a so-so straight edge and set of feeler gauges for around $30. Those will allow you to check the stack-up to calculate your thrust shim thicknesses for the mainshaft and the differential. The tools to check the thrust clearance are the pricey ones. If it makes you feel any better, I've rebuilt a few Honda transmissions (bearings, seals, synchros) and not had to change shims before. But...you should still check.

Quick Reply: S4C Transmission Stuck in 5th after Rebuild