Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Timing belt came loose during driving, car wont start after adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt came loose during driving, car wont start after adjusting

Recently while driving, my timing belt slackened up and i could tell cuz the belt was slapping around and i looked at it doing that, and left me stranded. i managed to get the car home to check it out, sure enough the belt got really loose, so i made the necessary adjustments, re-tensioned, checked timing and whatnot, but the car just wont start. even before this i noticed every time id start my car it was pretty noisy and rough, made a scratching noise. im assuming its the starter itself, but not really sure though. anyway, i try cranking but it wont start anymore and idk what else to check. been looking at my haynes and trying to isolate as many things to find out what it else but im stumped. please help i need my car as im starting school soon. ill try to put up a sound clip so you guys can hear what im talking about
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt came loose during driving, car wont start after adjusting

h0w did y9ou check timing without it started, do you have the crank at tdc for cyl 1 and the cams in the proper postion? did you bend any valves or have head damage.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt came loose during driving, car wont start after adjusting

Originally Posted by type_r_ek
h0w did y9ou check timing without it started, do you have the crank at tdc for cyl 1 and the cams in the proper postion? did you bend any valves or have head damage.
well before the car did this, i checked timing about a month ago during maintenance, thats how i did it.
anyway, no valves are bent and there's no sign of head damage.
i checked the dizzy, and starter, both were fine, but i noticed that i had some oil on my spark plugs on 3 and 4 cylinders. i cleaned them and put everything back together. tried to start again, but no dice. the car seems to struggle to start, and there was some smoke coming out from the intake manifold, plus a little hum/ring around the throttle body. dont know what that is. im going to keep researching for the mean time and hopefully someone here can help me out.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpin in case anyone can help me out on here
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by [713]
bumpin in case anyone can help me out on here

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like there's a 99% chance you bent some valves and messed up your head when you were cranking on it.

Your best bet is to pull off the head and check it out.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like there's a 99% chance you bent some valves and messed up your head when you were cranking on it.

Your best bet is to pull off the head and check it out.
damn i was just thinkin the same thing actually...
oh well, i planned on swappin out the motor anyway since this ones been pushin 200k miles. ill check em out thanks