Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throwout bearing going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwout bearing going out?

I have 98 Civic Ex with 145K miles (manual) and it's been starting to make a whirring noise when I engage the clutch at low gears (1st and 2nd mostly). It also continues to make this noise if I stay in 1st or 2nd. It isn't a high pitched noise and it isn't all that loud but it is quite noticeable. It is also not consistent. For example, when I started my car up cold and drove to work in the morning, I did not notice the whirring noise at all.

I took the car to Firestone for other reasons (drifting) and asked them about the whirring noise. They think it is a throwout bearing going bad and that I should see a transmission shop. If it is the throwout bearing going bad, should I just get the entire clutch replaced? And how much should I expect this to cost? Thanks,

Jesse
Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Throwout bearing going out?

has the clutch been replaced before? personaly i would replace the clutch, it would really suck to pull tranny out fix the throwout bearing and then a month later clutch goes.

will you be doing the work your slef or a shop?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since u are going in it i would do the clutch, pilot bearing and the throwout bearing at the minimum. I would personally get the flywheel resurfaced or replaced and also change the pressure plate. does the noise go away when u push the clutch pedal down?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx
has the clutch been replaced before? personaly i would replace the clutch, it would really suck to pull tranny out fix the throwout bearing and then a month later clutch goes.

will you be doing the work your slef or a shop?
I don't know if the clutch has ever been replaced before. I bought the car a few months ago when it already had 144K miles on it and not a whole lot of service history. I don't feel confident enough doing clutch/transmission work on my car, that I rely heavily on to work, at the moment (I'd like to learn though).

@jcdimvic Yeah there doesn't seem to be any noise in neutral or when the clutch pedal is pressed down all the way. It's just in low gears that I hear this whirring noise. It sounds a bit like a tin can rattling except muffled.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're issue is not the throwout bearing as the noise seems to occur when there is no pressure on the tob. The only time that there is pressure on the tob is when the clutch is disengaged. If the clutch is engaged and there is a whirring noise it is most likely the input shaft bearing, it's pretty common amongst older d and b series transmissions, but mainly d series.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sohc eg
You're issue is not the throwout bearing as the noise seems to occur when there is no pressure on the tob. The only time that there is pressure on the tob is when the clutch is disengaged. If the clutch is engaged and there is a whirring noise it is most likely the input shaft bearing, it's pretty common amongst older d and b series transmissions, but mainly d series.
right. if this is the source of the noise it will continue to get louder and more frequent. in neutral, clutch engaged, car parked- noise. in first, second and maybe third- noise. if the car is moving, in gear or not, clutch in or not-noise.

i can confirm it sounds like a rattling tin can...

the bad news... it's a big job as labor rates go. $20 bearing from Honda, ($6 bearing if you found it somewhere else...) and probably 8 hours labor (by the book). the total bill could be close to $1,000.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sohc eg
^^what he said
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ISB
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
right. if this is the source of the noise it will continue to get louder and more frequent. in neutral, clutch engaged, car parked- noise. in first, second and maybe third- noise. if the car is moving, in gear or not, clutch in or not-noise.
This describes my noise perfectly. Same issues as above, but if the car is sitting in neutral at a dead stop, and I press the clutch in, the noise goes away. It's getting worse and sounds horrible, so I plan on fixing it this weekend.

When you say "input shaft bearing", are you talking about disassembling the transmission, or just replacing the Pilot bearing?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh how i love this website...so many people with so much knowledge, i say DIY...i dont have alot of tools myself to do a whole build just yet, but i would say, DIY so you can learn more about your car = )
Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a line on a Y8 trans at the moment. As long as he doesn't want too much for it, I'm just going to swap it out.

Edit: how much are these thing worth? Don't want to get ripped off...

Last edited by 96romaEK; 03-23-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for answer
Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my TOB is going aswell, the guy who had it before me put a 6 puck clutch in and he ruined 3rd and 4th, so Im in the scopes for a better tranny and im going to go with a more stock clutch and a light flywheel. my brother and i will be doing the old switch-a-roo! GOOD LUCK with urs tho
Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Trial User

I had a question regarding water damage and my throw out bearing...I just had my engine replaced due to water damage and when I got it back my clutch is now making a sighing noise and they say it is my TO bearing! It was fine before, do you think that water could have caused this too? Def gonna need some ammo for my insurance to cover it! Thanks!