Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Throttle Body HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body HELP!

I'm in desperate help. I have state reff tomorrow and I needed to change the throttle body. Well I just recently changed it and now when I start the car the car idles at 3k. What the heck is going on?? Could it be the tps?? I need to fix this by tonight cause I have an appointment tomorrow morning
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle Body HELP! (TheTealHatch)

anyone?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

b<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheTealHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm in desperate help. I have state reff tomorrow and I needed to change the throttle body. Well I just recently changed it and now when I start the car the car idles at 3k. What the heck is going on?? Could it be the tps?? I need to fix this by tonight cause I have an appointment tomorrow morning</TD></TR></TABLE>
Kinda tough question. But... you changed only the throttle body. So the TPS is suspect, but there are 2 other things. There is an idle screw in the top intake portion of the throttle body. Check your repair/maintenance references. Also cut off the power to the ECM then reconnect, then start and run the engine so that the ECM will reset. Hopefully all will be well. What does your OBD throw for codes?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Body HELP! (Mangotreemechanic)

You have a vacuum leak or another name is too much air getting past the throttle plate or through one of those holes in front of the throttle plate or the FITV if you have one at the other end of the intake manifold.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throttle Body HELP! (Duane_in_Japan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a vacuum leak or another name is too much air getting past the throttle plate or through one of those holes in front of the throttle plate or the FITV if you have one at the other end of the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My friend also said I had a vacuum leak. And it might be that but Im not 100% sure that it is. I hear some weird leaking noise like air coming from the throttle body and the idle will be at 3k then the car will start to stumble and die.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also when I put on the throttle body and I didnt put any gasket sealant or gasket it seem to be fine but it had that air leaking but i couldnt figure out what it was. I then added the ultra red rubber sealant and it started to make that huge idle problem and the air noise got louder
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a mechanics stethoscope from Sears and pull off the metal tip and diaphram and use the empty hose to listen for a vacuum leak.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a vacuum leak or another name is too much air getting past the throttle plate or through one of those holes in front of the throttle plate or the FITV if you have one at the other end of the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I found out what it was. Its those two holes in the throttle body. When I cover up one closest from the outside. The idle stays fine, but once I let it go it jumps up again. How could I fix that?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where does that hole go to, the IACV or the FITV, or what on your year and model. Thats the problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

throttle body is off a 94 integra ls. The motor is a d16z6 in a 94 civic cx. The hole is plugged in by the iacv. And the top hole by the map sensor is plugged into the fuel evaporative control
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NO, I thought that you meant the two holes inside the throttle body before the throttle plate.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that too<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO, I thought that you meant the two holes inside the throttle body before the throttle plate.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, if you are putting your finger over the hole on the inside and the engine calms down then the component that the hole goes to is bad, the upper hole is the IACV and the lower hole should be the FITV but different years and engines have different set ups but both of those components are on the outside of the TB.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so im guessing the tps sensor is bad cause im not really understanding what your saying that the hole is bad?