Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block?

haha just wondering if anyone has done what IM THINKING? hot tanking their block in a bucket with boil water .......... well this work? thats what i call a ghetto hot tank ....
Old 06-13-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (Mr si99)

Buy some cans of engine cleaner and take it to car wash and use the wand to power wash it clean..
Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think they usually boil it in hot oil till every thing comes off. but i guess u can get some good *** degreasing at home depot, soak it & scrub away...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (B18BlackEK)

YOU CAN NOT HOT TANK ALUMINUM
you will not get it back

hot tanks use soda ash. it will dissolve aluminum. cold tanking uses carb cleaner and works well. then it takes a spin in a parts washer.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YOU CAN NOT HOT TANK ALUMINUM
you will not get it back

hot tanks use soda ash. it will dissolve aluminum. cold tanking uses carb cleaner and works well. then it takes a spin in a parts washer.</TD></TR></TABLE>
seriously cause i got my block hot tanked.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (e jay one)

True.. hot tanking aluminum is not good idea.. just use pressure washer and good solvent
Old 06-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (JDMOrangeFever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMOrangeFever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True.. hot tanking aluminum is not good idea.. just use pressure washer and good solvent</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't agree with this at all. The "hot tank" I used is the newer style. Only gets 130 degrees. Hate to point this out, but the enigne itself see's 160+ when operating. The "hot tank" isn't going to ruin your aluminum at these temps. It takes a much higher point to hose it... I would estimate easily over 200.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 PM

good thread! people give some ideas....im doing my own build soon and need to know how to do that because my motor has 115000 on it
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (JDMOrangeFever)

ITS NOT THE TEMPS THAT KILL THE ALUM. ENGINE!!!!! its the soda ash = ]
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
amy

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (deadlock32)

put it in the dishwasher

i've actually heard of people doing this, not sure how effective and i'm sure you have to take out the shelves and such
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Electrician

Get some good solvents and degreasers and a pressure washer or a steam cleaner that doesn't get that high of a temperature.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (deadlock32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadlock32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITS NOT THE TEMPS THAT KILL THE ALUM. ENGINE!!!!! its the soda ash = ]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the tank I used, like I said, was a newer chemical tank. I do not believe it contained any soda ash.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good thread! people give some ideas....im doing my own build soon and need to know how to do that because my motor has 115000 on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

does it really matter how many mileage your motor has? since I always thought putting new piston in would eliminate most of the mileage if not all. Im new to motor really new just bought my b18b block two days ago and dont even know what mileage it has on it but the motor year is 97-98. Also got arias turbo piston for it too (new in box). So my question is does new piston = new motor or just partial new motor or just regular old motor..... (remember im new to motor).
Old 06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr si99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it really matter how many mileage your motor has? since I always thought putting new piston in would eliminate most of the mileage if not all. Im new to motor really new just bought my b18b block two days ago and dont even know what mileage it has on it but the motor year is 97-98. Also got arias turbo piston for it too (new in box). So my question is does new piston = new motor or just partial new motor or just regular old motor..... (remember im new to motor).</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all... its a engine.. Motors are ran off electricity.. your windshield wipers are ran off motors though! :D
Old 06-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we WD-40 tanked my an F22 head.......by that i mean a lot of spraying and scrubbing with a toothbrush.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Economic Upturn, WUT

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
seriously cause i got my block hot tanked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Aluminum is a weak metal bro. Can't stand alot of heat and will warp easily. Cmon now!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

jus go to a local machine shop to get hot tanked ! i did and my block has no problems and it only cost me like $40 !!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 AM

hot tanks use a mixture of water and caustic soda (lye) heated to about 190 degrees... they work fine for ferrous (iron and steel) but NOT aluminum

if you take it anywhere make sure you ask them, if you use caustic soda with aluminum it will dissolve the aluminum...
Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (amy del sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amy del sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put it in the dishwasher

i've actually heard of people doing this, not sure how effective and i'm sure you have to take out the shelves and such</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha thats great lol
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 AM
H-T White Ops

Ask Jeff at importbuilders about what he does.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

heejh guys,

hot tanking your alu block will give you a black block in return.

for the guys that have 'hot tanked' their alu blocks. it was'nt a hot tank, i believe it's called a 'jetwasher'

check this thread : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199053

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My machinist called it jet-washing .. hot-tanking uses acids that would eat away at aluminum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and this : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=256442

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A true hot tank cannot be done to aluminum. a steam tank with degreaser is what most shops use nowadays. Most shops refer to a steam tank as a hot tank now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there's a little confusion about the term hot tank. a true hot tank will destroy your engine, eats trough alu. a so called jet washer, steam tank or cold tank will be oke. sometimes they call these hot tanks. but you better ask them, making a mistake in this is not likely to make you happy
Old 06-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: (wolve)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ahrpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Aluminum is a weak metal bro. Can't stand alot of heat and will warp easily. Cmon now!</TD></TR></TABLE>
honed and hot tanked cmon now! ok i dont work at a machine shop or know what goes on after i drop my parts off but i payed for a hone and hot tank and it looks good to me
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Simple Green works very well too.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (amy del sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amy del sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put it in the dishwasher

i've actually heard of people doing this, not sure how effective and i'm sure you have to take out the shelves and such</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-15-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block? (racing_beat)

Ever see somebody deep fry a turkey?

Anybody think the same method but metal instead of meat would work?

Quick Reply: Is there a effective ghetto way to hot tank your block?