Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there a difference between aftermarket gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a difference between aftermarket gauges?

I ask because I just started shopping for an oil pressure and boost gauge and the prices between different models is insane. The only difference between the high price stuff and the low price stuff seems to be that the low price stuff is ugly as hell.

Is there a way to cheaply convert the look of those ugly gauges to something else? Is the dial/hashmarks/numbering something that's unmoveable or is it like a laminate that's just thrown over a backlight.

Pardon my extreme ignorance, I've never shopped for gauges before and I've never opened one up to be able to answer my own questions.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a difference between aftermarket gauges? (FuNkDrSpOt)

The biggest price difference between gauges are what type it is Mechanical or Electric. Mechanical gauges will be less expensive but require running lines into the cabin of the car ie oil or coolant that can leak into your car if they come apart or what not. Any good gauge will cost about $100 - $300. Greddy, Defi, Autometer, Apexi are all good gauges. Look into those.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a difference between aftermarket gauges? (JDM_teh_WIN!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The biggest price difference between gauges are what type it is Mechanical or Electric. Mechanical gauges will be less expensive but require running lines into the cabin of the car ie oil or coolant that can leak into your car if they come apart or what not. Any good gauge will cost about $100 - $300. Greddy, Defi, Autometer, Apexi are all good gauges. Look into those.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I'm confused about is Autometer has gauges as low as $30 but they look like ***. Defi has some great looking gauges but I don't want to spend $400 on gauges, if i was going to spend that much on gauges I'd go with Autometer Nexus.

I've found some gauges I can live with at about $60 a gauge but I was just wondering why there's such a disparity in price. They're autogauge. The cheapest, best looking unit i could find that was smoked face ( I'm trying to be stealth for people who like to look in cars to try to find stuff to steal while I'm parked on campus )

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Autoga...wItem
Old 11-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never realy heard of them. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a difference between aftermarket gauges? (JDM_teh_WIN!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never realy heard of them. You get what you pay for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i know the saying but in society today there's a lot of high priced crap too. There's $80 of difference between my Iverson shoes and Jordans but there's not $1 of difference in the quality. I'm just trying to make sure that the only difference is in the namebrand.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I hear you, but the good companys put a lot of R&D into there products. Making them better. Anyone can slap together some parts and sell it as a quality product. Im just saying if you want to keep tabs on your engine you might as well spend money on something that will last a while. There are also some other gauges that you could look into like APC or something.