Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (clutch) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (clutch) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently changed my timing belt, ctr cams, cam seals, and a friend installed my new clutch and flywheel for me. All this was done at the same time.

Now, the problem... The first drive I had in the car was downright scary. The thing barely accelerates and stalls really bad when I let off the clutch. I have seen nothing that makes me believe this is a clutch issue - when I let off the clutch and try to rev the engine it is very, VERY sluggish. It makes me afraid to even rev beyond 4k. I assume this is a fuel or spark issue, but maybe something else (vaccum this or hydraulic that) was not connected back properly. The guy that worked on my car is an SAE certified mech. who used to work for Honda, but he is really short on time as far as helping me with this new problem. Oh, and yes, we are pretty certain that the timing is right on. (At least the cam timing)

One other thing; I noticed some kind of fluid leaking from underneath the car. It was clear and had no smell. I assumed water? I doubt that the two problems are unrelated.

Any help is welcomed. Plllleeease help my civic.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (clutch) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wilky)

It's timing...I almost guarantee your off a tooth with the T-belt...

After reading again...if your positive the cam timing is correct...are you positive the gears are adjusted correctly?

I'd still put money on the timing being off though. Did you make sure the crank and cams were at TDC when you put the belt on? Were the cam gears initally at 0 when you put the belt on. You did, of course, readjust your valve lash didn't you?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:12 AM
SFC

I concur, gotta be timing. recheck it again, twice. Also as for the liquid under your car... did you turn on the A/C? You do know that will drip water under your car right?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (axhandler)

axhandler is right, from what you are saying, my friend had almost the same problem(it stalls at 3500rpm) your not TDC, maybe you did it with cam gear loose and it moved or it wasn't TDC when you put the belt on? Go back and redo it any ways and if its not then you can move on. When I am working on a car I always double check and if it has a problem go back and redo it to specs. Check valve to because you put ctr cams in. Good Luck

The water maybe a/c.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (Jonestown)

Sounds like you're off a tooth with the timing to me too.. My car did the same thing when I was off by a tooth. Any CEL's? If so it could be that you unplugged a sensor and forgot to plug it back in. That can cause bogging, but would also throw a CEL.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (axhandler)

Thanks all for your responses. It will be rechecked this afternoon. How unsafe is it to drive right now? Obviously, it is parked until I can get it fixed. Could I have damaged anything? Bent valves?
Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Terrible Bog on 99 Si after cams/gears and major service (Wilky)

I doubt anything will be damaged. I'm not sure just how agressive those cams are, but if you are 1 tooth off you should still be okay. I wouldn't drive it personally as it's a major pita, but if you have to, I think it'll be okay.