Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff?

ill keep it short it was ma freshman year in high school went to a local house party and from there went to my 1st street race in a place called POINT SAL its by were i live from there i was hookd!! i needed a car and needed to feal fast as well as comfortable. my sophmore year i saw pursuit of function and boom thus came the jdm era for me. gots a job and it no time bought my first civic a 90 ef wagon si. kept it chilled with it sold it. got a 91 blue RS, DA but a fuking drunk driver got me good. so now in da present ive been a humble ep3 driver for about 2 years now and loving it dats how i got into this honda stuff
Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got into hondas waaaay back in the day.. about 6-8 years old (now 18).. thanks to my older brother and his 93' feiro Ls turbo with a ford probe turbo and gst intercooler from the JUNKYARD with Home Depot appliances and a FAT *** bottle in the trunk. dunked on some white powder coated 18's spider web rims. (dont know exactly what rims) with a bondo'd wing to the trunk, shaved door hadles, and appreal ad on's. (HAHAHA... style so wayyyyyy back in the day). and im tellin you.. DAMN THE THING WAS FAST!! **FLASH BACK: at the runs in mira mesa with four people in his car against a gutted crx. haha.. and now you guys can start thinking crazy.. hahahah**

daily driving a 93' gsr swapped Si. yeahhhhh!!!=]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
New User

i got into hondas when i was in high school...yet i didnt get my first honda til after i had graduated high school and went to basic training for the army and came back home to alabama...i bought a 97 honda civic...this car had been built to be a show car so most ppl looked at my like a was stupid when i pulled up into the parking lot riding in a pink honda with 18 inch chrome rims and the whole backseat turned into a speaker box with 4 alpine type r 12's but i didnt care...i had spent 6 month in a hell of having drill sgts screaming in my face so i was proud of it...i was offcially known as that girl that drove that pink honda...lol...i had the car for over a year and did some remodeling to it...as much as i loved the car the whole pink theme was kinda getting old because everybody started painting their cars pink and i dont like being like everyone else..i like being original and different. i eventually tried selling the car or trading it and i finally found a girl in south carolina that wanted to trade her 96 civic for mine...after looking at the car i decided to trade...so now im driving in a 96 civic which is almost finished being converted to an si...all i need is the engine and the rims. i really didnt take much pride in my pink honda but now that i have this car im going to take care of it..and see what i can make out of it....

that about sums up my story=]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hated Hondas and held them up to their typical stereotypes until I was 20, Then my friend Marc talked about getting an EG Hatch and I really got on him about it and how much a piece of crap it was going to be and blah blah Fartcan this Rice that, Basically just kept being a douche to him for wanting one. About a month later when he got it he stopped by my house with it and I was immediately changed, I had never seen a civic that wasn't riced out and horrible looking. This was just lowered on some Neuspeed coils, 1993 Red Si hatch with Stock 14" steelies and hubcaps...It looked good! Then I realized it wasn't the Cars I hated it was the owners who ruined them who I hated. I asked if I could drive his car and he reluctantly said "yes, but don't beat on it"...that moment I pulled out of my driveway changed my visions of Hondas forever. All it had was a D16Z6, DC Sports header, GUDE Cam, Flashed ECU for 8,000RPM and Valvetrain. The car was incredibly fun to drive and it fit perfect.

Six Months later I bought the exact same car as him, a Red 1993 Si Hatch...this one was Bone stock though.

That's how it all started, Now I'm Two K-swaps deep into two different Hatches and I'm a diehard Honda Purist. Haha.

-Froth
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How did i get into Honda stuff....hmmmm

I'm old....so back in 1989, i bought a brand new Honda Civic DX hatch right from the dealer. I was 16, and it was my 1st car. I loved that thing, and used and pushed it to it's limits on a constant basis. I sold it 4 years later. I remember thinking at the time about how hard i had driven it, and with the new buyer getting a complete inspection on it, including a compression test, the car came out 100% and still had perfect compression on it too will all 4 cylinders being dead even on an engine that had seen 60 thousand very hard miles.
I replaced it with an 89 CRX Si (only 4 years old at the time), i've been a Honda nerd ever since.
I have now owned 28 different Honda's and have 3 favorites i've held on to.

- 89 CRX Si
- 00 Civic EM1
- 02 RSX
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I may, with all due respect, YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO OLD FOR HONDAS!!! There's no such thing!

There, I feel better now. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its only been since 04 for me. i jumped in right when K started to get attention. but a friend of mine knew some junkie with a 95 Cx for 1500 kept the car till a few months ago
Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CviCEx2000
If I may, with all due respect, YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO OLD FOR HONDAS!!! There's no such thing!

nope honda's are good carz my girl hates all my recent honda i tell her i know that honda last and dont break down that often, and will run till wheels comeoff
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

being the youngest of most of my friends, i was the last to get a car, after seeing all the issues they were always having with their big "bad-***" domestics, i decided i never wanted that kind of headache. met some new people that were into imports, mostly hondas and acuras, saw how they could modify some much, and interchange... i was hooked 13 years ago.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 AM
New User

Icon6 Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff?

My story isnt especially crazy. I've always liked hondas in a commercial buyers p.o.v. I'd heard alot of good things about them and decided that I wanted my second car to be a honda. I ended up running across a '94 del sol. I love her to death.

I had to have the engine replaced at some point. Don't ask me what happend. I couldn't tell you ( mechanics never really gave me a good explaintion of what happend). But that cost me around $1400.

After that I really got into knowing what I was dealing with. You know maintinence and fixing whatever problem came up myself. I tend to be very DIY and I really feel like I can't trust to many of these mechanics to give a cute girl like me a the right info.

Plain and simple I'd rather f**k with it myself and gain the knowledge to take care of my car. Cuts down on the $$ for labor.

So far I've fixed minor suspension issues. But im looking for to getting into the nitty gritty, tightening my girl up and bragging about it. : )
Old 09-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im 27 now... I been in the scene since 16 when I got my first car... A POS Toyota Tercel... Moms refused to buy me a 5.0 Stang like I been beggin for... So that got me hooked into cars in general... I was a die hard Toyota guy... While my best friend was a die hard Honda guy...

Hit up the street races for the first time and was hooked... 300+ plus cars every week...
My other friend had a 96 DX that I use to adore and basically watched him mod his ****...

Never was the rich person... I never had a fast car... But for the next 5+ years... I worked hard to gain knowledge about imports and cars in general... Literally had EVERY SINGLE Honda Tuning, Turbo, Import Tuner, SCC magazine from 2000-2004... Had to stop keeping getting them cuz moms got tired of seeing all these car magazines around the house...

Fast forward to 2006... I got a 96 DX for a steal and decided this is the car im gonna make my name with... So finally got around to modding it and its GSR swapped with Boost on the horizon...

Definitely seen this Industry come along way...

Import Scene Prior to Fast and The Furious was on another level... Honestly wish some of you could see the difference... If you do already know...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CviCEx2000

my dads 45, owns a chevelle he drags and a huge domestic guy, but LOVES to wrk on my honda with me and see what we can get out of just 4 cylinders. its pretty sick
Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my name is Josh. I have a 60 mile commute to work (round trip). I use to drive a 2001 Suburban that got about 8 MPG. A guy I work with got me wanting a Honda so I started looking, found a 93 DX Hatch with a B18C5 thats been crazy built (skunk2 ST2 cams, Crower H-Beams, 84mm sleeved, and a wholeeee lot more.) So now I have a massive oil leak, looks like either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. I just cleaned it all up and changed the oil and drove it, now I'm just waiting for it to seep out so I can locate it. I also bought an OE oil pan gasket so im gonna change that anyways and I HOPE thats it.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

I don't really have an crazy reason why I got into Hondas. I had plenty of crappy beaters handed down to me but the first car that I ever bought was a 95 Camaro Z28 with a supercharger, this was in late 2000. Needless to say speeding tickets and high insurance forced me to sell. Since my mom didn't know ANYTHING about cars I talked her into letting me buy a 94 Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 V8. She though since the big blower thing was gone the car would be slower (yeah I was a little bastard). I was dying paying for the gas cause I worked at Wal-mart making something like $7 an hour when I was 17. Bad luck (street racing) caused me to wreck the thunderbird so I went without a car for like a year.

While shopping for a used car I came across a 91 Mitsubishi GSX. I was set on buying it cause I had most of the money saved but this little red hatchback caught my eye from the other side of the parking lot. It was a 92 CX with red exterior and black vinyl interior BONE STOCK!!!!! I didn't have enough money for it so my mom hooked me up with the rest of the cash so $3600 later I had a my first Honda. Bought it from Sun toyota in New Port Richey Florida.

LOL, I still remember struggling to get the bitch out of the parking lot cause it was my first 5spd. I got stuck at the bottom of a hill so the only way I got out was just dropping the clutch. Driving like that I needed tires within the first week lmao!!!!! It was 2002 so I did all the normal mods back then ( carbon fiber altezzas, fart can, tint, strobs) Couldn't afford much cause I was getting ripped off at Culinary school. After a few years I got out of there and started buying more parts, mostly jdm eg6 parts and multiple wheels. Drove it like that for awhile until the stock motor blew up and bought my first B16a2 and installed it at All Version Motoring in Orlando. Though that was the fastest car ever!!!!!! Got t-boned by a cadillac SUV in early 2007 but my first Honda served me well.

Needless to say many years have passed along with many Hondas. I currently own a 93 Civic DX converted RHD with a K20 and a 94 Del Sol vtec with a B16a3. Oh and I still have a 00 mustang to stick to my roots. Looking to pick up a 2001 ITR next cause that's just simply THE Honda to have.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my story was all of my friends had hondas and were driving by 2002...i always loved cars but didnt start driving till i was 18 due to fast forwarding the drivers ed tape while the teacher stepped out and someone snitched on me..well finally learned to drive my moms 96 ford taurus and got my license.. few weeks later i purchased a stock red 93 cx hatch...went to a local jdm engine shop and bought a jdm sohc vtec swap and when my boy found out hes like for that buy a jdm b16 longblock for the same price ..so i did and started modding cars ever since...ive had like 9 modded hondas since and theres no stopping now..like chef andre said my next car will be a ITR but i really want a 97 ITR and then an NSX... currently have a rhd eg6...
Old 12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My names Matt, I am 24. I don't really have a huge story on why I got into Hondas either. When I was a kid growing up my Dad had a 1982 Honda Civic Hatch 1.3L. At the time the only other car my parents had was my Moms car which was an UGLY as HELL Nissan Stanza Wagon. My Dad had bought his Civic new towards the end of 81. I was born in 85 and throughout growing up in the young years I just thought that Civic was cool as hell.

Somewhere probably around 2001 my Dad layed the Nissan to rest, it was constantly having mechanical problems and ended up blowing a Headgasket. He had bought a Carlot which he was running. He sold mostly Hondas/Acuras. He came across a nice 1998 Honda CR-V which he bought and also a 1994 Honda Civic DX Sedan to replace the Nissan and his high milelage 1982 Civic.

When I was around 17 he bought a 1999 Honda Civic SI for cheap and had it re-painted to re-sell. I thought that car was HOTNESS! I got to drive it once with him in passenger seat and I just fell in love with it. Unfornately I didn't have enough cash saved up from working at a grocery store making $6 an hour to get it. He drove it home at night to prevent it from being stolen..it sold quick.

At age 18 I went to work at my local Honda Dealership in parts. This is where the Honda bug bit me bad. One of my co-workers in parts had a 2000 Civic Si and I learned alot from him. I rode in that car alot and drove it once or twice and loved it. I became friends with alot of the service techs as well. One guy had a Hatch that he had just pulled an LS out of and put in a B20. I rode in that car and was amazed. It felt fast, at that time anyways..it was by far the fastest Honda I had ridden in.

I had cash saved up, I had all the guys in service, etc looking out for me a Civic. One day Russ from the detail bay walked up and said a Milano Red 93 EJ1 had come in the day before after I left and he had detailed it. I went an looked at it. Talked to a sales guy and went for a test drive. I loved it. 2 days later it was mine.

Couple months after that I bought that LS engine off Adam that had pulled it out of his Hatch. Plans were to buy all the parts and drop it in pretty quick. That turned out not happening.

I then quit Honda when I was 20 and went to work at the Charlotte Airport. My car a month later or so was stolen from the parking lot and stripped. I was devastated. I rebuilt it and put it all back together. Then finally in April of 2008 dropped in the LS engine, I had planned to only drive it for a few months N/A and then boost it. Things with money got tight and then I got layed off so the Turbo has kept going farther and farther on the backburner.

Well, I guess thats it.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was probably about 4-5 years ago. im about 16 or 17 at the time, i really didnt know much about cars and all i knew is i wanted the little honda hatchback not the one with the wierd half *** hatch but the round A** at the time i didnt know chassis code so i just knew it as that, now i know it as my EG. my dad gave me a ford for my first car and i hated it. I then dated a filipino girl whos brothers both had sick hondas a DB8 and an EG one on ssr mk3 and one on rc starks both dumped just clean. i then was just like wowwwww i have seen the light i now know what i want. i learned little by little by then then i learned about this website and have been stuck ever since.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My story with Honda's goes back to when I was in high school. My mom drives an 85 honda civic hatch back Dx, and she has had that car for the past 15 years. It was not until high school that I defined the type of car that I wanted to have, and I fell in love with the Honda Civic DX Hatchback as well. I am on my second EF and plan to keep it for a long time.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i decided to bring this back from a couple month death.... got into hondas probly 2years ago. i drove a 1968 camaro that me and my dad restored from the ground up all through high school and o'course there where a few hondas, nissans and mustangs that would want to try me everyday when we left. i raced plenty of hondas from sohc to h22 swapped eg hatchs (never lost a race i might add to any around here when i was driving the cam) but what go me into it is the guy with the h22 hatch told me that i could beat him with a v8 car BUT could never do it with a 4 cyc. So im the type of guy if you say i cant do it i will try my hardest to prove you wrong!!! after 2 years of being into hondas iv had to si and dx ef hatchs, 2 integra ls/gsr, and a 98 coupe i have done a wire tuck and compltly rebuilt a 93 ex coupe for my girl, and have a ls/vtec for my teg i drive dailey. and my next project will be my 98 coupe already have the h2b kit and 99-00 front end swap im goin full build on this one while i drive my ls daily. so we will see how long the honda thing last but i have fell in love with hondas and i think im in for the long haul.

sorry its so long just been alot in the past 2 years
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Trial User

I got into Hondas because my boyfriend did. I started out with a 84 buick regal when I was 16 and I LOVED that car. I think I went through 3 trannys in that beast. By the time I sold it I was getting 10 miles to the gallon and since I was only working weekends it was killing my money situation. My boyfriend bought a 200sx for his first car and he loved it! He kinda beat the **** out of the clutch since it was his first manual, but that car was pretty bad ***. I think he got three speeding tickets with that car because he re-ended a sunfire on his way to vocational. Around the same time I graduated my grandma passed away and I had the opportunity to buy her mercury mystique. This little 4-cylinder had a little more ***** than my regal so I thought I was flying high. My boyfriend bought me some 15" American racing rims and I put a fart cannon on it. For awhile he was driving around an enormous van, but he bought a 1990 civic from his uncle. This car was bone stock and he put 2 jl 12w3's in the hatch and omg... my ears would ring for hours after getting out of that little car. I never really was a fan of his hatch but he LOVED it. After he started making a little more money, instead of taking care of his civic he went out and bought an 02 cavalier Z24. The only thing he didnt like about that car was the fact that it was automatic. It definately beat the **** out of my mercury lol. He only had that for about 6 months until it was totalled. Next car he bought was an 89 mr2. Man did I love riding in that! We sure turned a lot of heads. Not sure how long he had that but since it sat so low to the damn ground he couldnt drive it in the winter. I think he drove his 90 civic that winter. After winter he drove his mr2 for a short period of time before he realized it needed some work. The waterpump was going out and he really didnt want to drop the motor (considering it was in the back of the car I dont blame him). Around this time my dad was wonder why the heck my boyfriend kept picking me up in different cars everyother day. I guess I should inform you that my dad is a big domestic guy. He owns a 76 trans am, and a 71 chevy pick up. His daily driver is a 08 f250 diesel. Needless to say he's the one who bought me my first car (the regal) and never really liked the import seen. After my boyfriend realized his mr2 was going to be a money pit he posted it up on craigslist for trade options. Some guy offered him a 91 hatch dx with a new paint job and a few upgrades. Halos, exhaust, and aftermarket steering wheel. Little did he know that it had a piece of ***t swap. Who swaps a D16Y5? Anyway he had that for a bit but he really didnt enjoy it.... so he sold that shortly after he got it too. The paint was terrible (completely botched maaco special I think) and the honda rust was starting at the wheel wells. He found a car... 94 del sol and fell in love. This was around the time he really started to do some research. Of course this whole time I'm just listening to all his stories and learning as he is. He somehow scraped up enough money to buy this del sol... (and even though he paid too much) he drove it home soon after. It sat over the winter again, while he bought a beater for the winter (94 taurus). The entire winter he planned and worked on what he wanted to make of this car. First he swapped an rebuild a d16a1 (I think) in it... then decided that wasnt good enough so he bought a b16 and now he putting every dime he has into making it exactly what he wants. New leather gsr seats, rear disc conversion, new brake booster master cyclinder, short shifter, AEM V2 cold air intake, wire tuck (excluding brake lines), swapped clusters, all around type R speakers. Believe me there is way more that I just cant think of but either way thats what he has been working on... or should I saw WE have been working on. My dad LOVES working on this car with him too. I cant tell you how awesome it is to see them stand over the car and talk about how cool is gonna be and how fun it is to see how much it has come in the past year. My dad is doing all of the body work (which is what I am going to school for) while my boyfriend (and his friends) are rebuilding everything else. Oh did I mention that because of my boyfriend I bought a honda too. Like I might have mentioned earlier I never really was into the hatches, so I started looking at 96-00 coupes. Fell in love with the ex (power everything, I mean come on!) That was until I saw the Si.... Once I realized I could actually get a loan for a car, I had one in 2 days. My boyfriend and I drove to Illinois and bought my first car that I was actually proud of. The sad thing is since I didnt know how to drive a manual he had to test drive it... then drive it home for me. Sad thing is paying 5000 dollars for a car that you have only sat in . Good thing is that it was a great car, and I feel bad *** driving in it lol. So far I havent done much to it. I have a few things planned but I know planning is completely different than having. Got my carbon fiber hood, and put some black 17's on. ( I know 17's are heavy, but Im going for more show than speed) Not to mention these kinda feel into my lap for cheap and black on red looks sick! So I guess thats my story, a couple of our buddies bought some civic so we cruise around looking like goof ***** lol but we dont care. I cant wait til my boyfriends car is done!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ HOLY CRAP!!!!

On a side note: It's funny to see how many "heavy hitters" replied on page one. Pretty much everyone has moved on since then.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my story on how i got into honda's is that at first i wasn't much of a honda type guy i always wanted a mitsubishi eclipse... but my dad got a 91 prelude si for me... and ever since then that was all i knew is honda's! lol after my prelude failed me i bought a crx... then shortly after that i got it taken away for street racing! lol but then after that i got a 93 ej1 and that got stolen =[ now im currently driving a 94 ej1 and lovin every moment =]
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick and easy.

my first driven was a 91 tercel. fun but its tercel.

first two owned cars were jettas. dumb friend crashed one over a curb and wrecked it. tranny blew on the second one.

after that i went in search of hondas/ acuras. ive always liked em just there weren't many out this way. was driving around lookin at crxs and a few hatches drove past an old and still rusted del sol bout two years ago or so. loved it ever since.

got even more into them as i went through school for mechanics and worked on it. then swapped out the old d15 for the b16a thats it got now. and its now my DD/project car.

probably be driving em for the rest of my life if not this one.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first driven was a 95 accord wagon.. first car i learned to drive manual and first car i installed a stereo system in lol. from there i kept searching for hondas and i came across an integra which i bought but it was automatic. Ever since then all my friends kept buying hondas and i hated the automatic so i bought my 98 ex coupe, since then me and my cuzzins an friends have been buying parts and kept building cars and because of that we just love hondas.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL, I was going to reply to this thread. Then I realized it was from 2002. Then I realized I already replied to it... in 2002.

Wow, Can't believe it's been 8 years since I joined. And I still have my '92 Si.

Quick Reply: Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff