Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 06:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

Title says it all. I'm curious about you guys and how you got into this mess that is Hondas. I'll go first:

I'm Tom and I'm 23 years old. I guess if I had to pick a moment when I knew I liked Hondas would be years ago when I was about 4. My real Dad had a 1983 Civic DX hatch and he flogged that car hard and I liked riding in it. That was the only car I knew.

After divorcing, my Mom got a 1985 Honda Civic DX hatch. I never saw my Dad again so this car was the only car I really knew once again. Metallic blue hatchback. Loved that car.

My Mom remarried and her new husband/my stepdad got a 1986 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si. This car was bad-*** in the day. Plush interior, moonroof, and more power than I was used to in a Honda. This car drove the point home even further that Hondas were cool as hell. I got in a few fistfights with kids in the neighborhood who thought their Dad's Mustangs were faster (even though they probably were, I had no idea at the time).

In 1989 my Mom got another Honda hatchback. This time it was a 1990 red STD hatch. 4-speed, vinyl interior, black bumpers. I loved that car too.

Here is THE moment when I was sure of the car I wanted:

November 1991. My Mom's getting a service done on her 1990 Civic and I'm walking around the dealership. I hit the main showroom and there it was - my dreamcar:

1992 Granada Black Pearl Civic Si hatchback.

I fell in love. I knew one day I'd have to have one. I had never seen a car that was shaped like that. Before I even knew how it drove I knew I wanted one. I had 3 more years before I could even drive though, so I knew I'd be waiting for a while.

In 1995 I turned 16 and rather than a dream-come-true deal that would have landed me with a nice 1995 Si hatch, my Mom gave me her 1990 STD hatch. She went car shopping one day and then she brought home a nice little car for herself:

1992 Granada Black Si hatch!

I couldn't believe it! She got the very car I longed for.

Damn.

I drove the 1990 hatch through highschool and I had some of the funnest times in that car. It ended up with 3% tinted windows, RS Akimoto Intake, and 2 15'' subs in the hatch! That's about as bad as I got with a car though.

I went to work at the local Honda dealer in the summer of 1996. I worked there in the detail dept. through my senior year on highschool. I was a magnet for knowledge there. I would grab up all the sales literature I could find and memroze it. I grabbed service manuals and commited specs to memory.

That's when I learned how crappy my 1990 STD hatch was. While looking at hp specs in the 1990 service manual, I saw my car's whopping 70hp.

I worked the detail dept. until I graduated high school on 1997, and for my graduation gift my Mom offered me something crazy.

She said she'd trade me her car for mine plus $5,000 so I took out a loan with her co-signing and it was done.

The day I got it I began to work on it. I got another RS Akimoto intake (because back then, where was AEM?) and found out how fun that car could be.

I sold Hondas the summer of 1997 and made enough money to pay for 1/2 of the car and still buy all the stupid crap that you buy when you're young.

I then went to work at an Acura dealer in parts in 1998. I then worked at another Honda dealer in parts in 1998 also.

I started school (college) and my money got tight.

1999 is when I stumbled upon the concept of a hybrid. I was looking up Honda crap on the internet for the first time and the Hybrid Honda site popped up. I remember seeing a car just like mine with the 170hp GS-R motor in it and I nearly died. Just when my money got tight with school I found out how to make the car bad-***. Not fair.

I didn't let the D16Z6 motor in my car hamper me though. I used to be a frequent street racer (:hammer and I wasn't beaten very often if at all. I chose my battles carefully. I raced EX coupes, Taurus SHOs, Mustang V6s, etc. and I loved it.

I got my 1992 Si hatch to run a 15.6 with just an intake and Centerforce clutch. The car wasn't even lowered and the only lightening I did was take out the spare. The car weighed 2269lbs. that night.

The new Si came out in 1999 and I never lost to a single one. That made me question if I should still get a swap or not, or just boost my SOHC motor.

I ended up getting a B18C1 swap from Import Auto Salvage in 1999 after finally getting funds. I paid a local shop $250 to do the swap because they wanted my D16Z6 swap. $250 was so little that it was probably better than trying to do it myself.

The 1992 Si hatch with the black wheels back in the day:

I had i/h/e and a nice clutch in that car and I got a 14.6 out of it. That's when all my pals got hatches and did swaps too. They got VX and DX hatches though, so fun runs on the street meant that they would edge me out. This got me wanting a CX one day. I knew one day I would hand-build a CX to my liking.

By this time my fiancee' was growing tired of her stock D16Z6 in her 1992 Si hatch (black also). We got a B16A2 from Import Auto Salvage and this time a friend and I swapped it in ourselves.

Our cars:

Car ran strong, and she was happy with it and still is.

I went to work at that shop that did my swap last year like September of 2000.

In March of 2001 a local guy with an ITR got it toalled and he sold the WHOLE car to me for just $4,000.00. I sold my GS-R swap that day and dropped in the ITR swap. I swapped it into my car and sold off the 5-lug and shell.

I drove the car like that for a few months and added an ATS 4.929 FD in it.

That car ran 13.9@100.97mph on street tires, full interior.

About 8 months ago a customer offered me $5,000 for my 1992 Si if I put it back to stock. I agreed and it was sold a few days later.

I found a 1992 CX hatch in Fort Lauderdale, FLA on Auto Trader and the guy only wanted $1,500 with a B16A in it. I called him and he said if I'd buy the stand-alone ECU for another $1,000 the car was mine.

I towed a trailer 750 miles from Atlanta and towed the car 750 miles back and began to tear the car apart. You guys probably know this story.

The car was transformed from a red 1992 CX to the silver hatch that I have today.

This hatch will be with me until I'm dead or need money for my family. I'm sure I'll buy more cars later in life, but this hatch will hopefully be in my garage for years and years.

That's about it I guess. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 07-04-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (B18C5-EH2)

my story isn't as dramatic as that....I really liked honda's because when they were at idle, you couldn't tell they were on. So I bought one...I would have bought a Hatch, but my G/F at the time talked me out of it...she said I would be gay to drive a hatch.

Old 07-04-2002, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (DragIIDigital)

I pretty much grew up with it with my brother. He had a sound vehicle and he bought a 95 GSR when they first came out. My first big event was 95' Battle of the the Imports in Palmdale, CA (LACR). Ever since then Ive been big into it.

Sometimes I wonder, "when will it ever end." It would be nice to get out of the scene totally but that would involve me getting new friends, picking up a new hobby, etc.

This is a BIG money pit.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (B18C5-EH2)

Well my story begins with the newer model Mercury Cougars...I just loved the way it looked! Of course I couldn't afford anything like that...I think I was around 16 at the time.

Then the new VW Jettas caught my eye..especially the VR6 model...who knew that such a small car could have such a sweet engine in it! Couldn't afford that though, either...

Then the summer between first and last years of college I got a job at Canadian tire....I bought my first Sport Compact Car on a lunch break once and was AMAZED at the cars in there...small yet powerful...underestimated for sure. I always liked being 'underestimated.' I saw an EBP Civic Si turbo and fell in love! BUT...couldn't afford that because I was still in school and had a crappy job. (This was the summer of 2000)

Then I graduated school and took a shining to the VW Golf 1.8T...add a chip and you can have about 200 hp at the flywheel! I found a 2000 model at the dealership but just couldn't afford it...even though i had a better job, i was paying off the used car my mom sold me (Grand Am). SO I thought..maybe next year!

Then they stopped putting the 1.8T engine in the Golf...now they only came in the GTI...which was about $4000 more..

That's when I said...Screw this new car crap! I'll look for a used 92-95 Civic Si! Then I found Honda-tech and got persuaded to look for a lighter model car. Well after months of searching I happened upon a 96 CX that needed new paint in areas, an upper ball joint here...a thingy there. BUT it also had a d16z6 engine/tranny, integra 4 wheel disc brakes with cross-drilled/slotted rotors up front, EX/Si guage cluster, Eibach Sportline springs and a short shifter. So I picked that up and I haven't looked back! I am quite happy with the car (i've added Koni Reds, Ingalls camber kit, Toyo Proxes FZ4s, 16" Konig Blatants), and will be even happier when I can afford a new engine!

[Modified by DevinW, 12:21 PM 7/4/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (DragIIDigital)

i've just always liked them for some reason. ever since i moved back to the states from germany in 1990 i wanted a 89-91 si hatch. i just thought they were so neat and i've never like big cars. heck in 92 i was pissed cause they changed the hatch design to the two piece hatch. for one reason or another i've never bought a hatch. always 2drs or 4drs. but one day i'll get around to it and i will keep the car stock
Old 07-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got into Honda's kinda different...

Back in 1999 I wasn't into cars AT ALL. I went to school at University of Illinois and basically came home after a semester because I'm a ****-up and I don't like studying. So I sat around at home for like a couple months and I got hard into looking for a car. I'm a big knowledge ***** when it comes to stuff.

Well, I stumbled onto Hybrid-Honda and it was ON from there.

Basically, I had what I wanted to do before I even bought the car. This was good, because that's the reason I bought a CX Hatch instead of a punk-*** Coupe. I wanted to Swap from the get-go.

The little bitch-*** D15B finally let go last year around June, so I swapped in a B18B, because I didnt have a ton of available funds. Swap took a while to do myself in my garage, because the place I got my motor from eally gave me the ******* screw.

Time-Warp to now, and a little bundle of Honda knowledge and I'm building a B20-VTEC for the same car...which I don't think I will ever sell...It's perfect, well It will be soon...

Suprdave
Old 07-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (broke1)

My GF bought a 96 DX like 3 years ago. At that time, I thought it was the worst decision in the world. I got to drive it home because she couldn't drive a manual. It was a fun little car so I decided that I wanted to get rid of my hyundai scoupe turbo and buy a new car. In January of 2000, I bought my 96 EX for $10K. I did the usual 17" wheels, suspension, etc. It was slow so I decided to try and sell it. At this time, I bought a 92 CX hatchback rust bucket with a swap in mind. I regret it now. I am selling it to get a 2nd gen Crx or a 4th gen hatch and swap a b16a. Well, I didn't end up selling my EX (see sig). I will probably always have a honda for at least one of my cars for life.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:38 AM

Had three cars in my lifetime:
1967 Ford Fairlane 289 v8
1979 Ford Mustang 3.3 inline 6
1992 Honda Civic CX

I drive cars until they are no longer serviceable. Worn out, used up, and no longer fixable.

The 1967 Ford Fairlane we let go in 1985. I was 16 at the time. My father had owned the car since 1969 when a little old lady couldn't make the payments. Super car, super motor (for an American V8, anyway). When we let it go, it had 105,000 miles on it, and the rear suspension was broken. We sold it to a guy for $800 who could repair the rear end himself with custom welding (the parts were no longer available).

Bought a 1979 Mustang then. Let it go in 1992 when the floorpan completely rusted out after 110,000 miles. It was like the Flintstones. I could have pedaled the car with my feet. The drivers seat tilted over at about a ten degree angle due to the hole in the floor. It was neat, watching the pavement go by at 65 mph.

I had seen good prices on 1991 Honda Civic hatchbacks on the dealer lots toward the end of 1991. And so we went looking. Objective was a back stock Harvard Blue Metallic 1991 Civic. February is too late to look for last years cheap model. So I had to research other cars. I was in medical school. I needed cheap, cheap to insure, and good gas mileage. Came down to three finalists:

1992 Dodge Neon
1992 Toyota Tercel
1992 Honda Civic CX

We chose the 1992 Honda Civic CX due to Honda's repeat customer index at the time. The Honda Accord was the #1 seller in the country, and 30% of the buyers were trading up from an older Honda. I had never test driven any of the cars. This wasn't important. Price and gas mileage were king.

Bought my Frost White 1992 Civic CX at Bill Gatton Honda (Bristol, TN) with 16 miles on it WITHOUT EVER SITTING IN THE CAR on Friday, March 13, 1992 for $8250. They gave me $1,000 for my Mustang, which we traded for an air conditioner. We paid cash.

Drove the car from 1992-1996 without any modification. As the years went by, I loved the car more and more. 70hp was difficult to stand though. In 1996 I put an intake on it (K&N Filtercharger) - I got better performance AND better gas mileage (I averaged 42-45 mpg at the time). Then I put "Shark Eyes" on it. My cousin helped me rebuild the CV joints with new boots.

I gained technical experience working with my cousin on his Shelby Cobra. I got better and better at mechanical skills. Then I moved to my new job. Lots of hills here. A 70hp motor with 100,000 miles ocassionally required first gear and turning off the air conditioner for acceptable speed here.

I had been watching the "Hybrid" webpage for some time. Learned all sorts of stuff. Decided on a plan:

1. Upgrade interior
2. Upgrade brakes
3. Upgrade motor
4. Upgrade suspension

I've done multiple rice upgrades on the interior (and no, I don't give a crap what you think). I did the Type-R brake upgrade myself with parts from Wrenchead.com in March 2000. Grinding those damn backing plates with a grinding wheel was one of the worst jobs I've done on my Honda. I bought a 1995 Acura Integra GSR motor with 57,000 on it from Woodfins.com for $3800, and paid $1000 for installation, wiring, and a custom made exhaust in 2000. I upgraded the suspension and brakes more after that. (I'll never do another polyurethane bushing set). In a quest for more reliable power, a Jackson Racing Supercharger went on in late 2001.

I CANNOT let this car go except under the most extreme set of circumstances. There are too many bloodspots, sweatstains, and tearstains on various portions of the supercharger, suspension, dash, and driveaxles. Where I stop, and the car begins is difficult to see. The car has been with me through the most traumatic and happy times of my life, and has never to date failed to come through. It'll be with me until its dead, gone, and burned to the ground.

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 4:43 PM 7/4/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 07:38 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (Suprdave)

I hated how gigantic domestic motors had such low output where as smaller jap engines seemed more potent. I got into cars and racing by playing Need for Speed back in the day and Gran Tourismo. And I was always intrigued as to how there was more than just discplacement that resulted in a motors output. My family was always a jap car family so I naturally leaned in that direction. Now im a full blown Honda nut but any jap car is

Old 07-04-2002, 07:44 AM

I got my first honda 3 years ago when I finally got my license. With all my points on my license from racing my ATI supercharged 95 Trans Am my insurance was $680 a month on it. So I got a 95 gsr with 33,000 miles on it. I did alot of research and dedcided not to mod it at all because I figured it was a waste (6whp from a $350 header woohoo). After having it for about 5 mos I had to do something. I ended up lowering it, aem cai, field vtec, and a little dyno time. These mods brought my 1/4 time from 15.5 to a best of 14.7. Then my Teg got vandalized and was totalled. So I found my 93 si on the net and drove 480miles to go get it. I build a b18c1 with 12:5:1 comp pistons, rods, its intake cam, jun flywheel and cm clutch. This was the first motor I've ever put together myself and put it in at my friends house. This setup ran a 13.6. After 2 mos it wasn't fast enough so I bought a nitrous kit from a guy in town. I was going to run a 50 shot. After having him install it since I didn't know anything about nitrous I went to the track. The car came out of teh hole hard and blew around the 200' mark. The next day when I pull the jets out and call nos I had a very very lean 130 shot. To no suprise 3 cylinder walls were cracked. I bought a used gsr block with about 110,000 mile just to drive on. I built 2 motors before 1 ever ended up in my car. I would sell them before they were ever installed. But with the $$$ I made I bought a drag 2 kit and installed it. I drove from Memphis to Dallas to have JoTech tune my car. The car over boosted and put down 346 whp for .1 sec before cracking a ring land. After some talking and argueing with Kenny Tran my buddy and I are allowed to use there shop to work on my car and we have my roommate fedex us another stock piston. I now have another block in my car and waiting on a sleeved block. I now work at a shop here in town and my setup is always changing. But as of now its running 12.5 breaking axles left and right. Looks like my story has gotten kinda long and typing this has made me think of how much money I have really spent. DAMN.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (hybrid901)

I started back in 1987 when my friend's dad bought a plain CR-X. We would take it for drives and the thing just stuck to the road! Before I owned a 75 Ford Granada 4.5 straight 6, and a 79 Ford T-bird with a 302 V8. Since that drive I wanted a Honda.

My first Honda was a new Barbados Yellow 89 CR-X Si, huge change from the full size Ford T-bird. I loved that car, I bought a Mugen rear spoiler for it and that was pretty much it. I had it for two years and then bought a new 91 Integra GS (sales guy told me we weren't gonna get the VTEC engine...which we did in 92 ) I drove that car until 99 when I bought my Civic Si. I have also owned an 87 CR-X Si (sweet car) and a 91 Accord EX wagon, and now a 92 Civic CX, which I found in a budget lot for $800.

[Modified by TodaSi, 12:17 PM 7/4/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (TodaSi)

I never really wanted a Honda. I was always into trucks..well, lowered trucks. About two years ago, I gave my Ranger to my mom, so i was out a vehicle. We went looking around...couldn't really find any trucks that I wanted. My mom said she knew someone at a Honda dealership that would probably be able to hook me up.

So I went down picked out a silver hatch (really wanted white ). From there I was hooked. I wanted to get a body kit and some 17's y0! It was gonna be sick. I had known about swaps, but no enough to be into them. Found the hybrid board. That's what changed it.

And it's history from there.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (fowler)

I wanted to go fast, and i liked the way civic's look. So I bought a civic, and within' a year did a swap, and then just kept doing more and more.

I couldn't afford to pay for install on all the things under my bed, so I did it myself.

Now I try to do everything on my own. I've learned so much from my civic. I can't let it go.

Just like the guy above me said.

Cant' tell where the civic ends, and I begin on that car.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (TodaSi)

i was really into yodas first you know 70's corrolas with 13b's in them... in 89 my mom got an accord, that car was bad *** i thought it looked kool as hell but still loved toyotas and then in 95 my friend got a 94 civic hb, not the fastest but fun and comphy(sp) i still miss that car...i got my first honda in 97 a brand new civic lx, picked up a import mag and it was down hill from there...and finnaly in 2001 i got my cx hatch and in 02 droped in my b18c1...god i love this car!
Old 07-04-2002, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (Muckman)

I hated how gigantic domestic motors had such low output where as smaller jap engines seemed more potent. I got into cars and racing by playing Need for Speed back in the day and Gran Tourismo. And I was always intrigued as to how there was more than just discplacement that resulted in a motors output. My family was always a jap car family so I naturally leaned in that direction. Now im a full blown Honda nut but any jap car is
basically the same for me too, My family only drove Honda's so natural I got one.

Thier like crack and now I'm addicted
Old 07-04-2002, 09:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (Mrfirefox)

i got into sport compacts back when i was 15 or so, following my ollder 17yr old friends who already had their liscences and thier moms cars.

we started goin to the local street races, and such and of course hondas were the most popular. i liked what my friends liked, and soon i became my own man. lol.

so after 3-4 years of just reading about them, goin on the net, and driving around in my friend's cx hatch, si hatch, crx si, and a handful of integras, i decided its about time to buy myself a car. this was last year.

and i knew right away i wanted an ek, and to drop a b18c1 courtesy of Import Auto Salvage. so about last winter, i had evetything planned out and all the money to fund my first, and project car.

well turns out, there were a recent ring of gsr/civic thefts around my neighborhoodm, including my friend's car. so that turned me off, and i felt that i didnt want to deal with the hassle of not sleepin well at night, since i had to park my car on the street.

so....my other group of friends, including my brother are all VW heads. i always liked the gti, so i decided, the vw community is pretty close knit, and i dont hear about theft too much, so i got a 97 gti vr6 about 2 months ago.

i still would like to have the civic, but i think im goin to wait on that for a little while and have fun with my euro beats in the mean time.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (DragonCTR69)

First off I just want to say that this is one of the best topics ever.

OK, here goes. I have always liked cars but I have never really known that much about them until a couple years ago. I got a job at Chick-fil-A and I met a freind of mine. He was really into cars so he made me become enthused as well. He had a 94 Celica. At the time I had a 92 Civic LX 4 door. I got rid of the LX and bought a 93 BMW 325i. When I first bought this car I loved it. I made the car become really quick with the additions of intake, exhaust, computer chip, and NAWS. My friend would just go out on Sundays and take a road map with us to find all the nearest curvy roads. This was some of the best fun that I have ever had in my whole life. Looking back on it, I am surprised that one of us did not end up dead due to these adventures. Then him and I became involved in Autocross. That was great! My car handled so well, it was amazing and it seemed like the limits were endless. After that he quit working at Chick-fil-A so we did not hang out that much anymore but that did not hinder my love for cars. He met some new guys that were into Hondas and introduced me to them. I then realized that Hondas were inexpensive and you could make them really fast. I got rid of my 325i and got a 93 Civic CX hatch!!! This is my new project. It will be an all motor car that hopefully will run low 12s or maybe even high 11s by the time it is finished. Right now it is in the shop and most of the big stuff should be done in less than a month. I am so excited!!! I really want to get this beast on the road, but until then I will just have to wait. I guess that is my story. It is not the greatest but that is how I got into Hondas.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine started in 1995. i bought my first "nice" car...a 92 integra rs. i loved that car. too many speeding tickets caused me to sell it (i couldn't stop driving ike an ******* in it). then i bought a 97 4-runner, i liked the 4-runner, but it was missing something...? so i sold it, bought a 93 integra 4 door and used the extra money to buy wheels, exhaust, suspension etc. loved the car but it was too heavy. so then my friend told me he was selling his 93 cx hatchback with a jdm gsr and lots of goodies...what the **** was i supposed to do. sold the teg, bought the hatch
i've always liked hondas....me and hondas just "click".
Old 07-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (chainsaw)

it had to have started with my dad being so into cars. he had a civic hatch when i was little. i dont know the year i was too young. but ever since i could remember i was always helping my dad out with his cars and learing everything i could from him. when i got my license that told my dad he had to get a car for me. so wat he did was let me drive his fixed up toyota truck. i drove that for a few months till i wrecked it. i felt real bad knowing he puts alot of work into everyone of his vehicles. he has had so many i cant even count.

even though that happened he still felt he had to help me out with gettin a car. so one day out of the blue he said "lets go look for a car". we went off. lookin all day long. test driving all the different types of cars. we ended up driving a 97 ex last. i was so happy with the ride i told my dad i wanted it. so that day about 530 pm we drove out of the lot with a 97 honda civic which has been my pride since. he didnt know much about civic but wat i was taught by my dad i somewat applied it to the civic.

[Modified by dirtySOHC's, 6:53 PM 7/4/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (dirtySOHC's)

fowler and tom got me to watch fast and the furious..
the rest is history
Old 07-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (Sucka Free)

For me, it was 1993, wasn't into cars or racing at all. My best friends brother was shopping for some car called an Acura Integra, that's all he talked about, Integra this, Integra that, what the hell is an Integra?! So he finally got it, a red 1991 GS, and showed up at my after school job, and I thought it was nice, but no big deal. Then he came to pick us up from school one day, after he dropped it (cut 4.5 coils!), it was dumped, and I was like Damn! that looks nice! He was a big time street racer by this time, which I thought was stupid, he was running Lightspeed header, HKS exhaust and intake w/a straight pipe. One night he let my friend drive it, so we went cruising down the street and he opened it up, and I liked it! Then he let me drive it, now to this point, the only car I ever drove was my 87 Sentra, so when I drove this car, I fell in love with it, had to have a Honda. Bouncy as hell, but it was fast (at the time), and I was hooked from then on.

One night, for some reason, that guy said he'd take me and his brother to the street races, so we could see what it was all about. At this time he was with a Team called Independent Racing, and they were well know for being one of the fastest, along with Hypersport Racing, both in San Diego. I had no idea that many imports existed, they were everywhere, all of them slammed with loud exhaust systems, it was crazy. After the first 5 or 6 runs (alot back then), I was hooked.

Later on, that red LS found it's way to EUROX or Euro classics in San Diego, a very low profile shop with owner Hideo Tamitaka doing some crazy motor work his customers. Everything he used was Japanese, and he taught us alot about Japanese products from his homeland. He decided to go all out and had a complete head done with HUGE cams, computer, the works, and it was fast. By this time, my best friend picked up a white 93 LS, and I was saving for a hatch. After a little time with the all motor set up, the red LS tried squeezing for awhile (with high compression ), but decided it was time to take it a step further, and started his turbo project. The old head and cams went to his friends 92 LS automatic, and it was fast, smoking many manual cars, bad! By then I got a teal 91 hatch, lowered, and my friends white LS started it's motor work, complete head package and big cams, just like his brother.

With the 91, I just wanted to make it look good, wanted some wheels, and a body kit, had to have a fuba and set of Piaa's lol). But one night at the races, there were a few cars from up North, probably LA, and they wanted to run San Diego's quickest. I saw the cars when they arrived, I was like WTF? that CRX looks like a piece of sh@$! the rims are black, there's no caps on them, it's barely lowered! doesen't even have an exhaust system. Alot of people were talking sh@$, but they seemed quiet, and outgunned, very low profile. Took it to the street track, and I had never seen a Honda go that fast! I was in utter shock, I couldn't understand how it could be so fast and look so crappy. Turns the cars were owned by some very well known import racers, that are very popular to this day (won't mention any names), and they were all about speed. A few were turbo w/black painted intercoolers, and there was one that was all motor, carburated, and loud as can be. That was it, I wanted to concentrate on speed more than anything else, that came first, looks were later.

After that red LS was turbo for awhile, he grew out of the scene, one of the pioneers in San Diego, he was bored with it, and never came back to it. My best friend sold the white LS and got an MR2, little performance, little looks, but he was fading out to. In fact all of my friends were growing tired of it, but I still loved it, more than anything. Sold the 91 hatch, picked up a 91 CRX. It was ok, bolt ons, big cam, lightweight, but one night at the runs, I got smoked by a black CRX with stock muffler! Couldn't beleive it, swore he wasn't squeezing. For some reason, when it hit the higher RPM's, it got louder all of a sudden (VTEC), but I didn't know why. Starting researching, and found that the pro import racers, the fast ones, were putting Integra motors in their cars. I had to have it. Friend of a friend named Hai was running a little hole in the wall shop in San Diego called Performance Shop, he was the man that could do the swap w/out anybody knowing. After 3 weeks not only did he do the swap, but he figured out a way to do it w/out cutting/welding new mounts, which was a first in San Diego. No one knew about it, or my car and it's B16, so my car became well known at the street races. Never talked to anyone out there, just wanted to run, didn't want any drama. Did very well for a long time, for some reason joined a team, Fusion racing. Met some great people, and made lifelong friends, but being on a team wasn't for me, so I quit, and went back to being solo. By this time, everyone had swaps and Diego was getting faster. So I had to do something new. Decided to stroke my B16, so my friend who was doing side jobs at his maintenance shop built it for me, CHEAP. having 189 whp and 137lbs of torque at that time was crazy. I was undefeated against everthing I went up against, except my friend Dales 100 shot GSR hatch w/LSD, he got me, but hey, there's always someone faster right? After that motor expired, I stepped away from the scene to catch my breath, and decide what to do next. By this time I had a lot of fix it tickets, and 2 speed contest tickets , but that's what you get, I knew it, and accepted it.

I picked up a 93 Si hatch, an was just going to be slow this time, and enjoy my car the way it was. It was my friend H-T user "Gokooljapan" that hooked me up with a lot of JDM accessories, which weren't popular or known at the time. headlights, corners, Spoon mirrors, gauge cluster, etc. He kinda turned me on to buying these Japanese parts that fit and worked so well, and at the same time looked different than everyone else. Little while later, it caught on, and we don't look different anymore. Clones everywhere in our town. But that's to be expected. Got a motor, but this time I did it legit, smogged and registered w/the Referree of California, carb numbers on everything (almost everything, what they can't see won't hurt em ), and I'm just enjoying my car. That's my Honda life story, sorry it's so long, but this was the best topic I've seen yet, good idea B18C5.

[Modified by rodrez, 7:16 PM 7/4/2002]

[Modified by rodrez, 7:24 PM 7/4/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 10:25 AM
New User

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (rodrez)

Ever since I was 10 years old I have always wanted an import car. When I was 12, and the Integra Type R first came out in '97, I knew that was the car for me. Since then, I had gone through the years wanting one, and I knew if I thought hard enough I might get it. After it came out in '98, the local Acura dealership told me that Honda was not going to making any more, and that it was a limited edition. I was heartbroken. But in 2000, when Honda produced the Phoenix Yellow and Flamenco Black Pearl Type Rs, I wanted the Yellow one so bad. In April of 2001, I came home from school one day, as usual, driving my dad's 1985 Toyota Corolla, the "O.G. Drifter" and when I opened the garage door, Phoenix Yellow Type R #01-0408 was sitting there. Dreams come true.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was 1996 and I came home from school for Easter vacation my cousin came to pick me up in his 88' Dx hatch. I was always a big fan of the VW GTI but when I road in this car it was like love at first ride. The only mod that he had was a strait pipe exaust with no cat and one of those bull **** Pacesetter resinated tips, the car was loud as hell but it moved. I knew right after that first drive that that was the car that I wanted to get. I wasn't able to get one right away so I settled for an "89 Accord coupe Lxi. I had that thing for like a month and wrapped if around a pole, and about two months after that I got my first hatchie '88 silver Dx. I loved that car I wasn't really able to afford any mods so I went the same route as my cousin, srait pipe exuast w/ out a cat. I had that for about two years and then got a white 1990 Dx hatch With i/h/e. had that for only six monts because some ******* punk *** theif stole it from in front of my appartment. And now I have a red 1992 Cx with a d16z6 With i/h/e this is my baby. Next summer goin b18c5, well thats my story.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (rodrez)

good ****. yah good topic tom!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff? (1 FAST R)

Well with me it started back in High school. Back then I was really in to hot rods and trucks. Peobably cause my dad had a 77 silverado ( still does). My dad had 67 mustang that was in ok shape. When I got my licence my dad and I worked on the mustang every weekend for a year and that was my first car. I loved that car but it wasn't reliable. When I got into college I need a car I can drive anywhere and not worry about not comming home. Well I quit baseball got a job saved up some money and was looking to buy a car. My dad wanted me to get a Toyota trecell because it was a toyota. I was about to get one, but my friend just bought a 96 civic DX so he came up to pick me up to go for a ride. Thats when I fell inlove with Hondas. The DX was silver, droped, DC exhaust and was rolling on 95 GSRs. So the next week I went to the dealer and bought my first nice car. A 97 Civic EX. I loved that car it took to everywhere. I didn't do much to it just nuespeed springs, Intake and exhaust ( hey I was a College kid). Last year I totalled that car (long story). After I saw the reck and realized that I survived I knew I was going to get a nother civic. So now I have a 2000 Si.

Quick Reply: Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff