Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tein suspension. is it good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tein suspension. is it good?

i got quoted for the new tein suspension $1000, is that a good price? What does it usually run?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (EKCivicRacer)

i have them, they perform ok, but the god damn things are so ******* delicate. i have a list of don'ts a mile long.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (95CivicSi)

can you please let me know some of those, and how much did you pay for the suspension?did you install it yourself?if a shop did it how much did it cost?i am just getting some ideas right now cause my civic is completely stock and i want to do suspension first....thanks
Old 05-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off, installing suspension is easy. but if you got the cash, it is allot easier to have someone else do it. I got mine for $935 + shipping.

most of my information on this is heard from other people, nothing really in black and white. now i live in AZ, so rusting isn't a prob but i have read these things rust up fast. so i plan to just keep them sprayed with wd40 every month or so. i was also told they have a weak valving system in the strut that causes them to not have a very long life span. they are not marked, so unless you remember or write down what settings you have them on you can't tell where they are set. also a downside to that is, everytime you forget where you are you have to crank it to 16 and count back.

just the rusting and how delicate the valving is in them kinda makes me regret buying them knowing that in about a year (i drive ALLOT of miles) that these things are tost...esp a bummer knowing you blew a grand on them.

besides on that, they look like they are built very well, come with a dust boot, look all jay-de-emm and ****, and you can brag till you are blue in the face with them.

my next setup when these turn to jello will be Zeal B6s...heard they are thuff and take allot of ****.

[Modified by 95CivicSi, 9:34 PM 5/14/2002]
Old 05-14-2002, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off, installing suspension is easy. but if you got the cash, it is allot easier to have someone else do it. I got mine for $935 + shipping.

most of my information on this is heard from other people, nothing really in black and white. now i live in AZ, so rusting isn't a prob but i have read these things rust up fast. so i plan to just keep them sprayed with wd40 every month or so. i was also told they have a weak valving system in the strut that causes them to not have a very long life span. they are not marked, so unless you remember or write down what settings you have them on you can't tell where they are set. also a downside to that is, everytime you forget where you are you have to crank it to 16 and count back.

just the rusting and how delicate the valving is in them kinda makes me regret buying them knowing that in about a year (i drive ALLOT of miles) that these things are tost...esp a bummer knowing you blew a grand on them.

besides on that, they look like they are built very well, come with a dust boot, look all jay-de-emm and ****, and you can brag till you are blue in the face with them.

my next setup when these turn to jello will be Zeal B6s...heard they are thuff and take allot of ****.

ya, BRAG BRAG BRAG abiut your STUPID little rubber boots. next time you ask me to adjust them i am purposely going to lose them all.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when they do go, you can get them rebuilt by tein usa.

I got teins and i love them.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (RexB16)

i am talking about the boots that cover the shaft so dirt doesn't get into the seals, NOT the little rubber caps you dumbass mule.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am talking about the boots that cover the shaft so dirt doesn't get into the seals, NOT the little rubber caps you dumbass mule.
ok just for that you will also be recieving a smashed windsheild
Old 05-14-2002, 09:18 PM

can't we all get along?

I have teins. I have owned everythign from intrax and stock shox on a civic 1995, to eibach sportlines with tok blues.

It is so night and day, its an insult to even compare. It's like dating your fat neighbor then stepping up to a supermodel. The sex appeal and body ride just doesnt compare...THEY R SO TIIIIIGHT.

but seriously, no rubbing, no bottoming out, I have a 96 ek with a apex n1 exhaust that **** hangs real low and when i had my car slammed the exhaust scraped with friend in it, but on the highway and fast bumps the teins do all the work, My car is very neutral handling now with pirelli p7000.

okbyeseeyoubye
Old 05-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (pkek)

can't we all get along?

I have teins. I have owned everythign from intrax and stock shox on a civic 1995, to eibach sportlines with tok blues.

It is so night and day, its an insult to even compare. It's like dating your fat neighbor then stepping up to a supermodel. The sex appeal and body ride just doesnt compare...THEY R SO TIIIIIGHT.

but seriously, no rubbing, no bottoming out, I have a 96 ek with a apex n1 exhaust that **** hangs real low and when i had my car slammed the exhaust scraped with friend in it, but on the highway and fast bumps the teins do all the work, My car is very neutral handling now with pirelli p7000.

okbyeseeyoubye
in case you HAVEN"T figured it out, we are joking.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we know eachother. rexb16 ownes the ugliest car ever made by man. its my job to give him a hard time about it.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:31 PM

like duh its not liek we r up in space calling down to you on earth matilda
Old 05-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we know eachother. rexb16 ownes the ugliest car ever made by man. its my job to give him a hard time about it.
eat DIE
Old 05-14-2002, 10:05 PM

spraying the crap out of them with wd-40 will solve any rust issues in the future or no? just bought the SS's for v6 accord, thought i chose the right suspension, guess not if they're gonna be gone in a year with these crappy roads and crappy winters in NJ
Old 05-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the idea is, if you keep oil on them and stop the outside air and moisture from touching the metal it *should* prevent the rust. wd40 is one solution, but i am sure any light oil will work.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Tein NA's. The best purchase i have ever made. They are Night and Day like someone said earlier. Highly recommened. I have had no problems what so ever w/ them. I have no idea what the other dood was talking about. And yes they are completely rebuildable. Get them and enjoy
Old 05-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rexb16 ownes the ugliest car ever made by man. its my job to give him a hard time about it.
I thought no front bumper was the new look
Old 05-15-2002, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have owned 2 different sets and one set for well over 2 years with not one valving problem. Never heard this before this thread.

Koni's setting are not marked, Zeal settings are not marked, Mugen settings are not marked.

Don't crank it up to 16 cause you have 24 total clicks. you crank is DWON to 1 and up from there. Counter clockwise gets you to full soft and you go UP from there. TEIN's can be rebuilt to allow for 24 settings but in stock form only the first 16 do anything.

TEIN's are great suspension setup and for the cost you won't find anything better. SS's for the civic are really affordable now. Rusting is not all that big of an issue as like I mentioned I had a set for 2 years with nothing like that. I am in Tennessee so I don't see much snow and only small amounts of salt but I do see my share or rain and humidity.

Just my observations.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (Asahi)

this is also the first time I've heard about weak valving in Teins. Never seen any probs w/ that. As for rust, if you live in a wet, cold, or salty area, spraying some wd40 or anti-seize will keep rust off (as already mentioned). Also, most ppl think all Tein's have this issue, but it's only their lower line (SS, HA). Their higher lines (RA/RE/RS/N1) are all made of full aluminum and have no rust issues. FYI, Zeal B and B2 are also made of mild steel, just like Tein SS and HA, so they'll have the same issues.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the way Teins perform also you could get them with out p/bolt
mounts for $900.00
Old 05-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (Spoon1)

love the way Teins perform also you could get them with out p/bolt
mounts for $900.00
p/bolt?

$900 what model and where?
Old 05-15-2002, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much does it cost to have them rebuilt?
Old 05-15-2002, 06:19 PM

As for the rust, go to a marine shop(boats, engines, etc) and buy a spray called T9.
Use it once a year on anything and it will not rust. It's kinda expensive ($10-$15 a can) but well worth it. I live and drive on the beach so I know it works.

As far as the best prices, I called just about every dealer on teins list and found the best prices in austin, texas. There were a couple shops that were going sell me the RE's for $1400 + ship. I don't know about the ss/ha but since everyone else wanted at least $1800 for the REs, the ss has to be pretty cheap.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:22 PM

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (usuck)

a little off topic but what does everyone think about the tanabe sustec pro's?
Old 05-15-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tein suspension. is it good? (PrOjEkT-CiViC)

i emailed them about the rebuilds:

Date: 5/15/02 5:18PM
Subject: Re: rebuild

Brian,

For basic overhual of the SS Damper will run you $75 per damper. If
you want the basic overhaul plus revalving of the dampers, it will cost you
$100 per damper.
Staff @ TEIN U.S.A. INC.
http://www.tein.com
Tel: 562-633-7387
Fax: 562-633-7291