Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it?

I have a 92 CX (no original tach) and I swapped in a 92 LX cluster minus the speedo. I searched and found out my engine redlines at 6500, but the tach says 6000. I know tachs can become inaccurate over the years and I'm wondering if buying a new tach from Honda will fix it? Is the problem with my tach being old or because of the cluster swap?

Also when I have the CX cluster (111,000) in 2nd gear tops out at "65 mph." The LX cluster (208,000) says "70 mph" at the top of 2nd... More proof that old gauges need to be replaced?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it? (fizix_skate)

bump i want to know too before I swap mine
Old 08-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If nobody knows, I'll probably just get it and post how it goes. I already have to buy over $500 in OEM parts...
Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it? (fizix_skate)

yea tach is never accurate. well thats what everyone tells me. i have a tachometer(one of those expensive ones too) before i had my si cluster and now i got my si cluster and the tachometer, and the tachometer is never accurate compared to the cluster. the cluster is always right
Old 08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The tach I'm talking about is in my cluster. And it's inaccurate. Soooooo... cluster is not always right.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fizix_skate)

are you sure the needles in this tach have not been removed and replaced wrong? take the plastic face off, take the needle off the tach and borrow a tach, attach it, wait until idle settles and re-attach the needle to where the other tach is reading. same thing for the speedo, but go the same speed as someone in a parkinglot and attach.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it? (ph0shizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ph0shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea tach is never accurate. well thats what everyone tells me. i have a tachometer(one of those expensive ones too) before i had my si cluster and now i got my si cluster and the tachometer, and the tachometer is never accurate compared to the cluster. the cluster is always right </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're going to give him bad advice, please don't give him any advice at all.

Your aftermarket tach (considering it's not a cheap POS) is more accurate than your cluster tach is anyday. On any guage cluster. The cluster ISN'T right, the stock clusters are always off by 500RPMs or so and everybody knows it. Why do you think it's never exactly at your VTEC crossover on your tach when you hit VTEC? Your aftermarket tach (considering it's a name brand tach and it's hooked up right) is as accurate as you're going to get w/ this car. So in lue of your last statement, reverse it, so it comes out as "cluster is never accurate compared to your tach. the tach is always right "

AT OP:
This doesn't really seem that important, but never-the-less I'm going to try my best to help you anyways. Make sure your input is correct, I'm sure if it says 2nd tops out at 70, they were using a digital tach and put it to a certain RPM's on that. If you're off by 500RPM on your stock tach (which is off to begin with), it could mean the 5mph difference. Also, double check that redline. I guarantee you though when honda tested this on a dyno they weren't using a stock guage cluster, but more of a hooked up RTM (real time management) system like hondata (not endorsing or saying they used hondata, just saying it's the same basis) that probably went to a laptop including a digital tach that read directly off the lead. I highly doubt they took it out on the street and pushed it hard in 2nd gear and then radioed back "yea, just put down 70, think it was around 68 or 69."

Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure the needles in this tach have not been removed and replaced wrong? take the plastic face off, take the needle off the tach and borrow a tach, attach it, wait until idle settles and re-attach the needle to where the other tach is reading. same thing for the speedo, but go the same speed as someone in a parkinglot and attach.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The last time I removed a needle (96 Accord), it snapped and broke. The EG's needles are removable? I don't really want to do the job half-assed; I'm going to race this car on a track. If I get a new tach from Honda, will it be more accurate?

Syndacate, when you said all tach's are off up to 500 rpms... did you mean even brand new tachs?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Tach is off. Will a new OEM tach fix it? (Syndacate)

ohh my bad. maybe thats why. sorry for the mis-info , its just thats what i have been told.