Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant.....

Ok so on my last mini-me setup (d15b2/d16y8) the motor just ate up coolant constantly. When i had that motor i just figured it was probably a head gasket or something like that. Now on my newly built (d15b7/d16z6) setup it is doing the samething. I am just about positive its not a head gaseket problem.

So my question is...Where is my coolant going? Doesnt appear to be coming out the exhaust ( no white smoke....only blue ). There is no oil in the coolant, not that the coolant stays in long enough for an accurate reading of that, but has anyone else had a coolant problem with their mini-me???

~Steve
Old 11-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant..... (rallycivic)

There are no visible coolant leaks, and there is none coming from the exhaust...but your coolant level keeps going down...

You got me!

Are you 100% sure you put all of the coolant lines back on the head in the right place, and that its not leaking from the head gasket or the radiator?
Old 11-22-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant..... (BauleyCivic)

I had this prtoblem once. I convinced myslef it wasn't the head gasket because I just changed it. It was in fact the head gasket. The block was warped which was causing coolant to leak into cylinder 4. I had the head resurfaced and used copper spray with ARP head studs torqued to spec so that was why I ruled the head gasket out. Doh~!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant..... (rallycivic)

i had a older accord that kept loosing coolant..dearler and jiffy could nt find anyting wrong..they preasure d test d the motor while hot and no leak could be found anywhere..eventually i took the car to a radiator shop and they preasure test d it again and couldnt get any steam to appear...

eventually as they pump d the preasure the leak appear d..it not uncommon that small leaks may occure and ull lose small amount s of coolant over a period of days and not all at once...thats my guess is ur problem..a very small leak in a hose

u could take the car to a radiator shop or just replace ur upper and lower hose s ..that i think will solve ur problem
Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant..... (deepnite)

my problem is i dont see any residue on my new setup. i saw a bit of residue by the reserve tank on my old y8/b2 setup but nothing on this one. I have to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses still. I wont ahve the mini-me for long. BUt i am going to try and fix this problem. 2 more weeks of the mini-me and i am going back to the full z6. IMO i will never run a mini-me again.

~Steve
Old 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM

i have a 97 coupe with d16y8 and i had the same problem... afther 2 months of refilling the coolant my fan stoped working..... so i asked some people from hondatech.com and it was my coolant temp sensor.... i got it form honda for $42 and now it works fine!!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:24 AM

do the pressure test of the coolant system and see if the pressure drop.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Mini-me problem - Why do I have to keep refilling coolant..... (2lua)

stumped still but i think it might be leaking into the combustion chambers somehow...oh well buying the parts tor ebuild my z6 block this week.....anyone have a light street cam and cam gear for a z6??