Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swaping out D series tranny in garage noob...???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Swaping out D series tranny in garage noob...???

hi i am wondering if it is hard to swap out my d series trans and install new clutch in a backyard home garage???

i did a clutch job at a friends shop before but was a Nissan 240 trans and it was easier.

but since i am doing a transverse mounted like on my Honda is it hard to do it in a garage at home???

what special tools do i need current i got one 4 jack stands, and one floor jack??? compressors and some impact tools.

whats the basic steps to Remove the whole trans/clutch and put in a better transmission/clutch back?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Swaping out D series tranny in garage noob...???

It is pretty simple. I suggest getting a haynes book or somthing just so you have someting to take a look at. But there really is noithing to it, just kind of time consuming.
No really special tool besides a 32mm socket, and a i belive and the sockets for the clutch, i think you need a 12 point? Sorry been a while sence i have done a clutch.

But bascily, pop the axles out. Buy removing the shock fork, poping lower ball joint, remove nut, and just a little prying and axles should come right out,

You will need a remove starter, and slave clynder. I reccomend changing the clutch fuild out at same time..
Unhook the tranny, then remove all the bolts, and wiggle that bitch right out.

See if you can get a tranny jack, they are a life saver. Everytime i have put trannys back in, it is a bitch to the imput shaft back in, And always takes alot of wiggle and possibly some kicking of back of tranny to help it move forward.

Really there is not much to this.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah thats true.. i had that problem when i changed my clutch on my hatch... i just took out the engine so its faster and theres more space and its wayyyy easier to put the tranny back on..
it was easier to drop in the engine swap then to change the clutch because its more work
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by burnykawizzle
i just took out the engine so its faster and theres more space and its wayyyy easier to put the tranny back on..
it was easier to drop in the engine swap then to change the clutch because its more work
I dunno, dropping the tranny does't take too long. A clutch job is gravy if you pull the engine but its not faster.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
It is pretty simple. I suggest getting a haynes book or somthing just so you have someting to take a look at. But there really is noithing to it, just kind of time consuming.
No really special tool besides a 32mm socket, and a i belive and the sockets for the clutch, i think you need a 12 point? Sorry been a while sence i have done a clutch.

But bascily, pop the axles out. Buy removing the shock fork, poping lower ball joint, remove nut, and just a little prying and axles should come right out,

You will need a remove starter, and slave clynder. I reccomend changing the clutch fuild out at same time..
Unhook the tranny, then remove all the bolts, and wiggle that bitch right out.

See if you can get a tranny jack, they are a life saver. Everytime i have put trannys back in, it is a bitch to the imput shaft back in, And always takes alot of wiggle and possibly some kicking of back of tranny to help it move forward.

Really there is not much to this.
is it necessary to remove the whole motor out?
will the engine stay in place if i remove the transmission out or do i need to hold it with something?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No, it is not neccessary to remove the engine at all.

The engine will stay some what in place, but due to the fact you are removig a mount that assits in holding the engine in place it's a good idea to place a peice of wood on a jack to support the oil pan

If you dont the engine will tilt slighty toward the passanger side.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
is it necessary to remove the whole motor out?
will the engine stay in place if i remove the transmission out or do i need to hold it with something?
you have to hold up the motor once you begin to unbolt the tranny fromt he engine or the tranny mounts to the chassis

hold it up by using a car jack with a block of wood on it, jack it up under the oil pan, it'll stay

i did the auto to manual swap to my car in my garage,

do to the light, and starting in the afternoon at times, i couldnt work thru the night so the whole project took about 4 days

not having car lift sucks too but you'll get it done
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly it was faster for me to just take out the engine because i have more space and its more comfortable to change the parts and put the tranny back in... i have a lumbar condition that its a bia if im hunch for too long my back starts to lock up and i get major pain... my preference is just to take out the whole engine since i have a lift and i dont have to push the tranny thru the wheel housing so its easier for me to work