Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swap distributor internals..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap distributor internals..

i tried searching but i couldn't find exactly what i needed..

my b16 distributor is boggin on me when i slam on the gas ( at least i think its the dizzy..changed fuel regulator did tune up .. goes away for a while and comes back ) i have a 1.5 sohc non vtec distributor that i wanna take apart...could i just swap tne internals?? has anyone tried this before?
Old 01-01-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: swap distributor internals.. (antivic)

I had some problem last year when coming home from school, the berrings in my distributor got messed up, causing my cap to melt off while driving. I was in the lest lane, going at a reasonable clip when all of a sudden things wend dead. I had no more ignition.

anyway, I tried a new cap, but that didn't work 'cause the bearings were the same. I took it to the family mechanic, and he went to work ordering a new distributor. I guess the place that he ordered from wasn't capable of getting the right part after two tries, so he just gutted the two distributors and replaced the bad stuff with the good stuff. It works on my car, which is a d16z6.

The really funny thing was that the family mechanic thought I didn't have the right engine in my car. He figured that the parts place was supplying the right stuff, but the engine wasn't the right one for the civic I was driving. I figured that unless the previous owner cut out that little flat spot with the engraved engine markings on it, and replaced it with D16... then my engine was the real engine for this car. The parts place just doesn't know what's going on.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swap distributor internals.. (Solice)

hmmm u say u used d16 internals on another d16?? i need to put d15 internals ina b16... -x
Old 01-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else
??
Old 01-02-2005, 08:36 AM

The internals that went onto my car could have been anything. The parts place couldn't get the right distributor for my car. The guy who did the work said that neither of the two distributors fit where it was supposed to go on my car, so he gutted the second new one, replaced what he needed to replace, and left it at that. Looking at the way nothing on the new distributors lined up with my engine, he parts he got from the shop might not have even been from a Honda motor. So he fit the distributor parts from Distributor X onto my d16, not just a d16 to d16.

The parts place wasn't capable of getting the part we needed. That's why he thought my engine wasn't the original engine. He thought that the parts place, which deals primarily with American muscle, couldn't have possible screwed up the order.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be able to swap the internal parts over to your b16 dizzy. I have used some d16 dizzy parts on my gsr. I know the ICM and ignition coil are the same. The donor just needs to be from a vtec application. I would take out what you need from the donor and see if it matches up with the b16 stuff, and then go from there.