Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension help - rattling/knocking sounds when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help - rattling/knocking sounds when going over bumps

Hey guys.

I recently Purchased a 99 ek sedan.. its the JDM LEV model with a d15 engine. but recently i've been hearing alot of rattling/knocking sounds when ever i go over bumps.. just wanna kno what can be done to solve that.. would it be new bushings steering ends what? need some help here.. I've also been thinking about replacing all the bushings with Energy suspension bushings.. a friend told me not to because the ride would be come extremely stiff.. Need some insight please
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension help - rattling/knocking sounds when going over bumps

the knocking sounds are most likely caused by the bushings. go to autozone and buy them they're like $11 each with lifetime warranty
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the noise coming from all over or can you pinpoint it to a general area ( i.e. front right, fl, rr or rl)?? Sounds to me what your describing would be a trailing arm bushing
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liberty.R
Hey guys.

I recently Purchased a 99 ek sedan.. its the JDM LEV model with a d15 engine. but recently i've been hearing alot of rattling/knocking sounds when ever i go over bumps.. just wanna kno what can be done to solve that.. would it be new bushings steering ends what? need some help here.. I've also been thinking about replacing all the bushings with Energy suspension bushings.. a friend told me not to because the ride would be come extremely stiff.. Need some insight please
when I lowered my car and upgraded all the suspension components my sway bar end links would clunk on every bump.

Do what was said above and pinpoint where it's coming from. Also jack one corner at a time and try to wiggle the tire left/right and up/down. The wheel should stay in place and there should be no play.

Check up front:
wheel play(a problem could be with wheel hub/bearings, upper/lower ball joints, steering tie rods)
-lower control arm bushings that connect to the knuckle, strut, and chassis
-sway bar end link bushings

check rear:
-lower control arm bushings to chassis, strut, and trailing arm
-upper control arm bushings from chassis to trailing arm

As for your friend saying polyurethane bushings make your ride stiff, he's not clear on anything.

Polyurethane bushings allow parts to freely rotate without binding. Stock rubber bushings basically warp and are a lot more prone to cracking/degrading.

Lowering the car and adding a rear sway bar will make the car stiff. Uprading control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, adding torque mount inserts(those little spider legged looking bushings on each side of the bottom of the engine) will not make your car stiff.

And if you have a manual transmission, upgrading the shifter bushings with energy suspension will get rid of any play you have now, easily one of the better and cheaper upgrades to do to your car.

And I would advice against changing the two big trailing arm bushings in the back. Polyurethane versions are solid while the stock bushings allow the trailing arm to move in all directions. If you replace those specific bushings with polyurethane the bolt/sleeve insert will bind on the inside of the polyurethane any time the car is turning. And the faster you turn the more it will bind, basically wearing the bushing out prematurely. Instead of having a perfect circle where it's mounted, the inside would turn into an oval.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The knocking is definitely coming from teh front end of the car. gona try and get it up on a lift this weekend to see what bushings are gone bad. so you're saying: Poly Bushings > Rubber Bushings?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Poly bushings WILL casue the car to become stiffer, but it's not that bad.
They are harder then the stock rubber bushings, and will allow less deflection then the stock bushings.

Go under the car and look at the bushings, look for any tears, cracks, etc.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Liberty.R
The knocking is definitely coming from teh front end of the car. gona try and get it up on a lift this weekend to see what bushings are gone bad. so you're saying: Poly Bushings > Rubber Bushings?
Poly bushings are fine, so is rubber.

Poly is a bit more of a pain in the *** because the bushings need to be kept clean, and lubed or they will squeak and fail in short order. Rubber bushings are a install and forget it deal.
They don't need to be cleaned, or lubed. BUT, you do have "clock" them.

That is when ever you remove/change a suspension part you need to jack the car up until it lifts off the stands and torque the bolts, or set the car or something so it can sit at ride height to torque them. This will keep the bushings from tearing. You don't have to do that will poly.

I currently have a few ES bushings in my car, and they are fine.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

InTheZonAC

I recently installed polys in my rear trailing arms. How long a life do you think I will have with them if you say they wear out prematurely?
Old 05-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Trial User

Having just purchased a CRV with the above front end knocking, my theory was right with the tightening.It has not been 100% fixed but a bit of tightening will keep it to bay for a short period. Now decided to get the system overhauled...a lot of rough tracks in my world.