Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

super wiring mystery! see if you can solve it

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default super wiring mystery! see if you can solve it

i had my car on jack stands for 1 a little over a month doing some suspension overhaul etc.
when i got everything finished i set it on the ground and went to start it.
after about 5 revolutions i get a code 15. the car had show a few signs of the igniter being bad before, so i went ahead and bought a brand new OEM igniter. i installed it and the car still didn't start so i got out the manual and went though the procedures listed in section 23-108+
this is a TEC Distributer
i perform the checks and everything checks out fine. Voltages are correct, i had continuity where i was supposed to and none where it was not supposed to be. i then replaced the ECU with another to see if that was the problem. i still get a code 15 and no start. i then checked all the fuses and grounds, they check out as well. i started looking on here for any info i could find on code 15s and no starts. i found this site - http://techauto.bravehost.com/- (link is down at this time) and i did the tests listed there. according to the test light tests the coil was bad. i replaced the coil and tested it again, new coil is fine.
i had a friend come over and his car is the same year/model as mine so i put my entire dizzy, plugs and all, onto his car and it started without a hick-up. i can't figure it out!
i have since gone back over the steps described in section 23-108+ and i get the follwing:
12vdc @ yellow/black wire @ main plug
.9 to 1vdc @ the white/blue wire - strange, next step according to the manual is to test the coil, coil tests fine, i have since picked up 2 more coils, they test fine. 2nd step is to test the white/blue wire itself, i have 2, both test fine. (remember it started my friends car without a problem here)
Continuity on yellow/green from ICM to ECU
No Continuity on yellow/green from ICM to body ground
Continuity between the Blue wire @ ICM and the Tachometer test plug.
No Continuity between Blue wire and body ground

The coil's Primary winding Ohms out to be 1ohm between terminals A and B (above max spec of .77 but its damn hot out here today, readings will vary according to temp.)
the coil's Secondary winding Ohms out at 16KOhm, also within spec.

and before you ask, yes i have fuel to the cylinders, the Injectors are firing but i still have no spark!
if anyone knows whats up or has advice please let me know. i am at my wits end!!