Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sunroof binds against roof on 95 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof binds against roof on 95 Civic EX

Using the sunroof tool, the sunroof opens with minor difficulty, until it starts tilting, at which point it binds into the roof and stops moving. The track doesn't look well lubricated, but I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have similar problems? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks friends.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Sunroof binds against roof on 95 Civic EX

Seen this before and I replaced the sunroof assembly. It was pretty fucked.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Seen this before and I replaced the sunroof assembly. It was pretty fucked.
Geez. Do you mean like, taking off the roof lining and stuff? I have no idea what it looks like underneath, what would that be like?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Correct. IIRC, the threaded cables that operated the movement of the sunroof were stripped. A new sunroof assembly was cheap at the junkyard. Maybe $30. Your existing roof glass can be reused but consider having a replacement on hand just in case. Spare parts are not a bad thing. (Note also that there were small changes to the design of the glass in 92 vs 93-95 ... all are fwd and backward compatible.)

The service manual (google it to find it) has all the instructions step-by-step that you need to follow. It is your bible. Study it.

You will need the correct Allen bit to move the roof glass manually and possibly also to remove the glass. Practice on your own vehicle before you go to the junkyard so you have all the right tools....

Be CAREFUL. 30-year-old plastic bits have a tendency to break. Follow my DIY links to find a list of junkyard tools to bring with you.

Here is a useful post: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...oblem-3118716/

And here is another which I encountered after installing the replacement sunroof assembly: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50971208
Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct. IIRC, the threaded cables that operated the movement of the sunroof were stripped. A new sunroof assembly was cheap at the junkyard. Maybe $30. Your existing roof glass can be reused but consider having a replacement on hand just in case. Spare parts are not a bad thing. (Note also that there were small changes to the design of the glass in 92 vs 93-95 ... all are fwd and backward compatible.)

The service manual (google it to find it) has all the instructions step-by-step that you need to follow. It is your bible. Study it.

You will need the correct Allen bit to move the roof glass manually and possibly also to remove the glass. Practice on your own vehicle before you go to the junkyard so you have all the right tools....

Be CAREFUL. 30-year-old plastic bits have a tendency to break. Follow my DIY links to find a list of junkyard tools to bring with you.

Here is a useful post: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...oblem-3118716/

And here is another which I encountered after installing the replacement sunroof assembly: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50971208
Thanks a lot, man. Quick question- what type of service manual do you recommend? My Haynes manual has nothing about the sunroof.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Haynes covers the basics, if that. Search for the Helms manual. It is incredibly detailed and is my saviour when it comes to repairs.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Not that hard...just time consuming.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haynes covers the basics, if that. Search for the Helms manual. It is incredibly detailed and is my saviour when it comes to repairs.
Sweet. I found it and printed it out at UPS (I like it in print and it was 1200 pages). Another question for you: the manual covers EG and EK, though I don't think it covers EJ1, which is my chassis. Will this matter, or will they be okay? I'm thinking worst case I can just print the different EJ1 parts and put them in place of the EG/EK ones. What do you think?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Manual does NOT cover the 96-00 Civic generation. Technically correct that it does not cover the EJ1 since the downloaded manual is for a 1992 Civic and the Coupes came out in 1993.... But there is so much similarity between the chassis types of the same generation that in many cases it is not a problem. Your sunroof shares the same design as the Hatchback. Sedan sunroof is quite different.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty, just took out the moonroof today, the problem was exactly what you said: stripped cables. So, my options are to find one in the junkyard, or buy one from the stealership (if they still have them, that is). Which option do you think is better, or is there one I've overlooked? And thanks for all the help, man.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to attach these:
Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon Petersen
Forgot to attach these:
Old 05-27-2018, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Salvage yards national site: car-part.com/
Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 PM

Junkyard. Doubt it exists brand new.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Junkyard. Doubt it exists brand new.
Combine our names and it becomes: Megaloschlong..lol
Moby Dick would be envious..hehe
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Combine our names and it becomes: Megaloschlong..lol
Moby Dick would be envious..hehe
That is quality!
Old 06-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found one at a local junk yard, fit it into my car, works a lot better than the original. Some things I found interesting: the orange stuff wrapping the threaded cables is made of plastic, and when I blasted the exposed cable with brake clean to get the old grease off, and the orange plastic started to fray so I stopped; for some reason, neither my overhead light not the trunk light work. Probably some wiring that must have come loose or something when putting back the headliner; the moonroof works pretty great, except usually, the first time I open it, it needs a little push up on the rear end of it to get going, but after that, it can go out all the way and in all the way without any help. I'm thinking the tracks just need some more lubrication, or it could be a glass height issue, either way not too bad. Thanks for the help, man. It was spot on.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Found one at a local junk yard, fit it into my car, works a lot better than the original. Some things I found interesting: the orange stuff wrapping the threaded cables is made of plastic, and when I blasted the exposed cable with brake clean to get the old grease off, and the orange plastic started to fray so I stopped; for some reason, neither my overhead light not the trunk light work. Probably some wiring that must have come loose or something when putting back the headliner; the moonroof works pretty great, except usually, the first time I open it, it needs a little push up on the rear end of it to get going, but after that, it can go out all the way and in all the way without any help. I'm thinking the tracks just need some more lubrication, or it could be a glass height issue, either way not too bad. Thanks for the help, man. It was spot on.
I have to push up on the back of my roof panel as well to get it to open. I was going to try cleaning and lubing the tracks, + checking the alignment of the panel with the roof.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM

AWESOME! Glad to help.

If it's getting stuck, it's a glass adjustment + lubrication issue. I use white lithium grease to get things going after adjusting.

Both the trunk lamp and the overhead light run off the same wire at the fuse box. It could be that you've blown a fuse.