Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suggestions for my y8 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for my y8 turbo build

Hey HT,
I decided instead of swapping to a b16a, to keep and boost my y8. i have a dx coupe I swapped the y8 head on and it left me wanting more. im planning on turbo, I just bought the y8 block and tranny and am planning on building it up during the winter. my goal is 300whp on pump gas, havent decided on a turbo yet, this is my first build and there are many things i have left to learn. so far for the block im planning on purchasing:

vitara pistons
eagle h beam rods with arp's

is that an ideal setup for the block to reach 300? i will get the head pnp and will fully build that also, just focusing on block for now.
now ive read of a bunch of people with vitaras that have a slap noise to it. Is that common? I really would like my motor to sound decent if im going to dump money into it... I hate odd noises

also, any other piston/rod combo i should look into? i obviously want to save as much money since this will be my dd, but I want to make sure I dont cheap out on quality. I heard i beams were ideal, but im having a tough time findind any. thanks for helping the new guy, ive lurked on this site for months for build ideas and it hasnt dissapointed.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions for my y8 turbo build

Slapping noises are generally caused by incorrect P2W clearances. H beams should be fine for the power you're looking at, just check with the manufacturer to make sure they're rated to a bare minimum of 75 hp per rod, preferably 100.

Personally, I'm a fan of CP pistons for any power level, and Carillo rods for your goals. IIRC, the rods are on par price wise with the Eagles, but the CP pistons are noticeably more expensive.

As for turbo choice, learn how to read flow charts, and start reading them. All of the decent turbo manufacturers provide them on their website. I'm personally a fan of the TD04H-19T - it's what I've been using for a while now, has great fast spool, and has plenty of head room to reach 250whp, and possibly 300.

If you're going to read this next bit, read it carefully and make sure you understand it. Don't be afraid to run an eBay China-charger, but do NOT run it straight out of the box. Send it off to Blaast Performance (yes, I spelled it correctly) and have them do a rebuild with legit parts. The housings are generally ok - it's the internals that will take a **** on you and risk destroying your motor. You haven't seen pain until you've seen an impeller shaft try to go through a valve. The only decent thing about a China charger is the housing, and the only redeeming factor is the price. I have more than a few friends who have "fake legit" Turbonetics turbos that are eBay housings with Turbonetics internals.

If you're going to buy a used turbo, make sure it has ZERO shaft play, and make sure the PO didn't do a DIY rebuild on it. Turbos spin at upwards of 20,000 RPM. They have to be precisely balanced, or they'll grenade themselves. Once again, if it has any shaft play, or if the previous owner did a DIY rebuild, send it off to Blaast and have them rebuild it the right way.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with the build mate, I'm currently doing the same. Massive props to jbpnoman for his insight, knowledge and advice, very much appreciated :-)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Slapping noises are generally caused by incorrect P2W clearances. H beams should be fine for the power you're looking at, just check with the manufacturer to make sure they're rated to a bare minimum of 75 hp per rod, preferably 100.

Personally, I'm a fan of CP pistons for any power level, and Carillo rods for your goals. IIRC, the rods are on par price wise with the Eagles, but the CP pistons are noticeably more expensive.

As for turbo choice, learn how to read flow charts, and start reading them. All of the decent turbo manufacturers provide them on their website. I'm personally a fan of the TD04H-19T - it's what I've been using for a while now, has great fast spool, and has plenty of head room to reach 250whp, and possibly 300.

If you're going to read this next bit, read it carefully and make sure you understand it. Don't be afraid to run an eBay China-charger, but do NOT run it straight out of the box. Send it off to Blaast Performance (yes, I spelled it correctly) and have them do a rebuild with legit parts. The housings are generally ok - it's the internals that will take a **** on you and risk destroying your motor. You haven't seen pain until you've seen an impeller shaft try to go through a valve. The only decent thing about a China charger is the housing, and the only redeeming factor is the price. I have more than a few friends who have "fake legit" Turbonetics turbos that are eBay housings with Turbonetics internals.

If you're going to buy a used turbo, make sure it has ZERO shaft play, and make sure the PO didn't do a DIY rebuild on it. Turbos spin at upwards of 20,000 RPM. They have to be precisely balanced, or they'll grenade themselves. Once again, if it has any shaft play, or if the previous owner did a DIY rebuild, send it off to Blaast and have them rebuild it the right way.
Wow, exactly the feedback I was looking for. Great info, had no idea any company remanufactured cheapo turbos with garrett internals, thanks! That saves me a decent amount of money I can put elsewhere. Ill definitely be purchasing a new turbo kit, you cant put a price on the peace of mind.

The concern Ive had with the vitaras is clearance, Ive been told they sit lower in the block and suffer in performance because of that, not sure how true that is. Do you think the CP pistons are worth the price difference, or is it more of a brand thing?