Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stupid but Simple Q: EK Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid but Simple Q: EK Headers

Ok, If you didn't already know I got a 96 LX (sedan ) and I'm a teen so I'm too broke to afford a swap right now but I would still like to build my engine.

If I got some headers for 96+ EX, would I be fine if I bought someone's EX stock piping (sedan) and put it on with the headers? or do I need to buy a new cat? Basically, if I got the whole ex exhaust system, would I still have to get a new cat for it all to fit? or would leaving the stock cat with it just hurt my plans? Basically I'm under the impression if I got headers and the ex piping that I wouldn't need to modify anything, just put it all on. I have the ability and access to do this all myself, just wanted to know these things.

Also, after that if it works, I should just be able to buy EX cat-back and just bolt up right???

Thanks everyone, when you're on a small budget it's a little hard... I don't want to save until I can afford a swap because I'm not gonna stick with this car for much more than 2 years and I'll be broke as **** for those two years, so yeah...

Thanks

[Modified by iviZeRoCooLivi, 1:57 PM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stupid but Simple Q: EK Headers (iviZeRoCooLivi)

Do it! It's good and you'll like it. I replaced the header bracket underneath the car to an EX one. Your LX one probably wont work. Look at it, you'll understand what I mean.

I bought an EX cat I need to have welded in line.
I have no cat currently. It all bolts right up!
Old 09-22-2002, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Stupid but Simple Q: EK Headers (00-ITR-373)

Basically, will an ex header work with my lx cat and ex piping? I've heard from ppl here that if you put headers on an lx you need to modify your exhaust because it relocates the cat (because they're in different places on EX and LX or other models) So would it work if I got ex piping or an ex exhaust and put it up to my lx cat and up to the ex headers (if I got that ex bracket)?

I would look at it but I dont have an ex to compare
Old 09-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I have a hatch so I didn't have the option of buying an ex exhaust. But I think if you buy an EX exhaust and an EX header, you'll have a gap where the cat is supposed to be. So you'd need a cat right after the header when you do the install (from an EX, or highflow or something).
If you just get an LX exhaust, it will bolt directly to the EX header w/ no gaps.
In this case, to get the cat in, an exhaust shop will have to cut a section of pipe out, and weld the EX cat onto the exhaust. Then you have the flange on the front end of the cat that you bolt up the the header.
Did this make sense? If not, ask more questions.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:39 PM

well, here maybe this will help us out I have stock everything on my car (would be first mod...) so I have the stock lx exhaust. You're tellin me that the ex header would bolt up to an lx exhaust? Would the cat be in there???

Maybe I should just buy ex headers, ex cat, and a good ex cat-back system (for sedan... do they made ex sedan exhausts???) for like $750 right? Maybe I should just get a cai and call it even... lol
Old 09-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're tellin me that the ex header would bolt up to an lx exhaust? Would the cat be in there???
Yes. Where your header stops, the exhaust starts.
The exhaust starts at the same point for EX and LX.
But your cat is in the header as you know. The EX header mates up Exactly to the same spot as the LX header does, the only differenct is the EX is expecting to mate up to a cat, not an exhaust pipe, but it works anyway.

Yes, if you just buy an EX header, it will bolt right up, you just will not have a cat, and have to tie up your second 02 sensor as the new header has only one bung for the first 02 sensor, not 2.

The second hole or bung, will be in the EX cat if you get one of those.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:52 PM

Ok we're making sense now If I get an ex cat (from a sedan or anything, shouldn't matter right?) I would have to get my piping cut because the ex header meets up with the legnth of my lx piping? Am I understanding now?
Old 09-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Exactly. And I'm pretty sure you could also just get an EX exhaust, EX cat and there would be no welding etc. Just bolt up and go.

Old 09-22-2002, 02:03 PM

Where are you at and how long have you been running around without a cat? I would prolly just get everything all at once but thats a big hit on the wallet... anywhere from $750-$1200 depending on what I get or where I get it from. for that kind of money I could just put it towards my car and trade it for like a 96 hb or a 5th gen... lol