Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stripped studs??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped studs??

Hello, I am trying to loosen my wheel before I jack it up and install a camber kit, the camber is really negative. I cannot even budge one or two of the lugs and they are not airgunned on there. I can move two but I cant break them loose. I can just turn them around and around. Eventually I guess they will come off. So my questions are, how can I find it if its stripped? Should I just take off a lug and look? How much would it be to replace the studs, or get a shop to do it? And will I have lost my lug nuts because of it?

It's a 99 em1..thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stripped studs??

If they're spinning, but the lugs are not moving, it sounds like the splines might be stripped on the hub.

If so, good luck. I had it happen to me once, and was able to cut the lugnut off with a dremel without trashing my wheel too much. After you do that, the only correct way to fix it would be to replace the hub/bearing assembly. If the splines are stripped in the hub, another stud will not hold in the hole. An alternative to that if you have the resources (what I did) was to weld the new stud to the hub. It's been fine for 3 years, but if it ever breaks again, I'll probably have to replace the whole hub.

Furthermore: on the fronts, if you take it to a shop, 90% chance they're going to tell you that you have to replace the hub/bearing anyway, if you're replacing studs. This is because on the fronts, you can't get the studs out with the hubs in, and removing the hub supposedly trashes the bearing. Again, I've removed hubs from bearings and put them back and drove for years with no problems. But the Honda manual says that if you separate the hubs from the bearings, you should replace the bearings.

If you're taking it to a shop, I'd expect $150 per front corner, on the low end. $300 high end... depends on how hard it is for them to get your wheel off, and whether or not they trash your wheel enough to make you have to get a new one.

On the rears, changing studs is very easy, but if you have stripped splines on the hub, I think you're in the same boat as far as having to replace the bearings... not sure though. It's definitely cheaper and easier to just weld the studs back in if you have that option... not technically correct, but it works fine.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks. I just took off one lug. It took some hard work but after about five revolutions it was easier, and then a few more until i could twist it off. I took a look at it. It looks egh okay. It doesn't seem to be who stripped but Idk if I am someone to determine that. It took less effort to tighten back on but its on there now. I'm not trying any more to see if they're stripped because i need to drive it. I guess I'm going to go to Tire Kingdom tomorrow in the morning and ask them to take off the lugs and see if anything is stripped. What else should I do?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, what are the chances of their being stripped studs if ALL the lug nuts are nearly impossible? Wouldn't it be more likely that just one is unfortunate?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpppp
Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

if you're getting them off, the splines on the studs are not stripped... you just may have had the lugs slightly crossthreaded, or stretched the threads a bit.

This is why I always use antiseize on lug studs, and put them on with a torque wrench to no more than 85 ftlbs. I've had problems with them in the past, and they're too much of a PITA to change on Civics. I would recommend that to anyone in the future.

Are you using stock lugs? I've had problems with cheap aftermarket lugs doing what you're describing.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The lugs I was using were "5ZIGEN PRO RACER LUG NUTS". I went to a shop and they got them shaven off, thus preserving the studs. I then bought some of these generic steel lugs they had as a set for 50 bucks and have them on all the wheels. I suppose it will do for now. The lugs were too soft of a metal I guess. I plan on using anti-seize from now on when I get nicer lug nuts. Which brand makes strong ones? Extended preferably
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend McGard Toughnuts. They are stainless steel and WILL NOT RUST. Last time I check with ARE (American Racing Equipment) they went for about $2 ea.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

whats wrong with oem?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw, anti-seize on lug nuts or lug studs is a bad idea.