Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

strange noise from engine compartment on high speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise from engine compartment on high speed

I bought Civic99Lx auto transmision and it has 106K on it.. When I drive in freeway I hear some strange noise above 65 miles/h. when I bring my speed to below 65 the sound disappers. Sometimes when drive even above 80 miles/h I dont get the sound. so the sound is purely intermittent (most of the times I get the sound).
It sounds like booooo.... It does NOT vary in pitch/frequency with a change in engine speed(above 65). It doesn't sound as shrill as a slipping belt, if I had to guess it sounds more like a vacuum problem...

I took to Firestone to check this, the mechanic checked the car and said everything perfect with engine may be some hole in exhauster or pipes. I took to a muffler store and they verifed and said alll the syetems are fine, they pointed the CV joint is torn in my left side and throwing the greese on run. i read in some forums that If the greese is less in the cvjoint it may make noise. so I replaced new drive shaft from pepboys ($277) and they said now the problem should be resolved. When i took to freeway again, i get the noise, I went mad.. I took it again to pepboys took the mehanic to take the car to freeway and he noticed the sound and he said he is hearing this sound first time in his life (strange!!!!).. Finally they said it might be the issue with the transmission.. I am going mad.. can anyone help me..
Thank you..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the shield from the exhaust manifold and check the manifold casting for cracks between cylinders, blown exhaust gasket etc, maybe the first coupling gasket to the mufler. honda's are famous for this.
Ensure the shield itself isnt vibrating as this causes your kind of noise.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
New User

Thanks for the reply..
I tested driving uphill and it doesn't make noise even I rush the engine to 4000 rpm.. i get noise only when it goes above 60 miles/h.. so I doubt its not the problem with exhaust.... its something else.. any other guess...

Thanks
Krishna
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
New User

I took my car to Honda dealer today and they say it may be the problem with front windshield... each mechanic finds different problems..
Firestore - Problem with Exhaust
Mufler store - problem with Axel
Pepboys - Problem with Transmission (After replacing Axel...)
Honda service - Problem with windshield....
Whoom to trust now.. i dont think its the Windshield.. the noise is very disturbing in freeways couldnt enjoy my drive!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try this.

1. Accelerate to the desired speed, at which you hear the noise, at normal throttle.
2. Shift into neutral
3. Steer back and forth (within your lane of course) and see if the pitch changes or the noise goes away as you go from side to side.

If the pitch changes, it is one/both of your wheel bearings, which require a decent amount of mechanical experience to replace.

*EDIT: Pepboys told you it was a transmission problem only because they could not diagnose it and wanted it off their hands. Trust me, I work at a mechanics shop, too.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could very well be a wind noise. did they say it may be the windshield... I hope you didn't have to pay $80+ to tell you "may be".
Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 PM
New User

Thanks for the replys..
This is what the Honda dealer has mentioned in the report
"Recommend resealing front windshield molding 1st and recheck".. Anyway I will first test as Chris mentioned..
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thats pretty lame, 80% of wind noises can be found by using blue tape and using your brain