Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly..

<u>First I wrote this in August '03</u>

Hey people. This is a write up of my experience this last week(August 11-17) doing a complete d16z6 swap into my 93 Civic CX Hatch.

I figure we need some background information here.

May - Sept
I bought my car last summer(End of May '02) but had day surgery on my knee so I couldn't drive it for about 3 weeks. Then I go to get my stitches out and the cut rips open again and I can basically see my knee cap; another three weeks pass but I get impatient and start driving the car for the first time without bending my knee. Now think about driving a manual car with a straight leg.

Pics from the first day I got it.

Over the summer I build a custom fit sub box for 3 10" MTX subs out of fiberglass and paint some of the interior trim panels red to match the exterior.

I purchased clear corners along with Xenon back up light bulbs.
Being "Cool" I went to Crappy Tire and picked up some R Racing Mats and my girlfriend gets me the Seat Covers and steering wheel cover for my birthday at the end of August. Now despite what you think about the walmart stuff, the mats really brightened up the floor area of the car and the seat covers made those crappy CX Seats look way better than usual, only until you sat in them and found out what they are really like.

Sept - Oct
I arrive back at university to find out that my other roomate is for sure not coming back to school and we need another roomate to fill the 3 person lease. A guy shows up with a '94 Honda Accord EX-R and seems alright so we let em in.
A few days later he says " Andrew, I want a car with a bit of power and looks good." . So there we find a 93 Prelude SR in Burlington Ontario and his folks go pick it up for him seeing he had classes. The car arrives and he still wants more so her orders Altezzas. At the same time I said, what the hell, I'll order a set too. I install them for 3 weeks and take them off because it was getting cold and I didn't want to break or scratch them taking ice off the car with a scraper.

roomates lude

Nov - Dec
I go to visit my girlfriend and I end up buying a APC strobe light kit for my corner lenses but do not install them right away.
My brother gives me a APC front upper strut tower brace and its put away until the spring to install.

January - April
The only thing I do with the car for these 4 months is purchase a set of Toms Motorsports Coilovers for my car but don't install them right away seeings its -15 degrees outside and I have no garage or tools to work with being away from home.
I end up braking my inside lock mechanism on one super cold morning and I can't lock my door from the inside for 2 weeks.

May
I end up trading the coilovers for a set of indiglos supposedly for my car and some cash.
I get home to find out these guages were for an EK civic and not an EG like mine. I start trimming and I manage to get them to fit drilling one hole in the speedo overlay for the pin that the speedo needle rests on.
I end up finding a 3 3/8" Equus tachometer for dirt cheap and I install it the same evening as the indiglo guages. I install the APC Strobe light kit in this evening as well.

running some wires here

I graduate from university on May 03 2003 with a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Psychology and get some money.
Browsing http://www.lowmotion.org one day I see a set of mint 94 Teg seats forsale. Done and Done. I bought them right away.
I start saving everything for a set of rims but when I get home I find out they have been sold a few days before I was going to buy them with cash in my hand.
I get home and install my strut tower brace my brother gave me.

June - July
With the money I was going to use from the rims I start wanting more power and grow out of the looks of the car.
I compete in the first local Autocross competition in St. Johns in about 7 years. On my first run my car dies in the last turn before the stop box and I jump out searching for holes in the block. My only idea is that it hit a rev limiter in died or it sucked in air in the 1/8 full or so gas tank.

*note. spare tire and passenger seat were in only for travelling to and from event.

I remove the altezzas and hubcaps going for a back to stock look.
Browsing lowmotion once again I pick up a CAI from a Teg and a vibrant 2.5 in/out muffler. Its sent in the mail.
Browsing toronto civic club I stumble upon a d16z6 head in toronto for a pretty good price compared to other spots so I buy it and it is sent in the mail. I still need a p28 though.
Browsing honda-tech a few days later I find a p28 for a pretty good price compared to others in San Fransisco and I buy it. Its sent in the mail.
In mid July I recieve everything. I install the CAI and the muffler but the muffler only stays on for a week because of too much attention it brought being so damn loud. I clean the whole cylinder head and valve cover and paint both.

August
Now this was a month of suprises. At the beginning of the month I’m driving down a road near my house and I notice a Civic sticking out of a group of other cars next to a garage. “Downshift quickly and pull off to see it.
Upon closer inspection it was a 95 civic SI hatch that had been rolled a few days before by a kid who was late for a golf tee time (just plain fucktardish). I venture in to ask some questions about the car and what is going to happen to it.

After a few days the car ends up in my driveway and I begin to pick at it the minute it arrives in the driveway. The engine runs perfectly and I back it in my gravel driveway basically grading the driveway with the rear bumper the whole way in.

The following partitions are each day I worked on the car.

[img]

Day one ends on a positive note. The entire front is taken apart and the good compenents are kept while the rest are put in the back for the junkyard. I removed the z6 valve cover and degreased/cleaned/sanded/painted it red and clear coated it to add some color to the engine bay.

Day two comes and we have scaffolding instead of an engine hoist because I couldn't find one to get a lend of. It worked perfect.
We took out the d16z6 out of the SI and laid it on blocks to wait for a new home in the CX's engine bay. Then we took the d15b7 out of my car and hoisted it into the SI's engine bay.

funky setup huh?

jackin up the engine

WTF

Thats it for this nite. We concluded with putting the d15b7 into the SI chassis and we plan to let the whole car go to the junkyard with it in there.

WHOA ITS ALIVE! Today was an awesome day. It started off looking bad. The car initially started with a lumpy idle and would die if I didn't have the charger on the battery. To make matters worse the lights in the guage cluster were pulsing so I figured it was a voltage regulator or something shot. To fix it I replaced the alternator with the d15b7 one and I changed one of the sensors back to the d15b7 one and the car was purring like a kitten.

We took the car for a drive with the shifter on backwards(still worked fine just first gear was up by the ash tray) and it was amazing.

We don't have the two wires hooked up for vtec yet but it will hopefully done this evening or tomorrow morning.

having a mechanic with experience around helps out

SI's cluster installed

Doin the P28

The Day ended with running the wires for vtec. With the SOHC z6 engine you can barely feel the changeover. As well you have to really drive the car hard to engage it which I'm not interested in doing everytime I drive it around town.

It does turn out my CEL is on, therefor not letting VTEC engage. I'll get to this sometime.

Today was non-productive for the whole car swap thing going on here. I was away for the day but managed to tidy back up the ECU in the floor and started putting stuff back together inside.

Today was an alright day. We installed the rear wiper and ran the wires for the switch. I'll hook the power up to it in the next few days.

The day started off slow seeing I got up late, but I set out to install the SI sway bar onto my car. The installation of the parts was a direct swap (LCA's, mounting hardware and bar).
It was a bit of a pain to have to disconnect the shift linkages and unbolt the exhaust for what seems to be the 5th or 6th time during the last week.

Installing the SI door panels

Like to give my dad credit where its due. Couldn't have done it without em.

Here is an Update for ya. THis was taken February 20th, 2004. Boredom, and it didn't exactly come out as planned. My roomate taking the picture thought I was a nutcase (The one with the lude)

Modified by Terrabomb at 11:36 PM 2/20/2004

Modified by Terrabomb at 4:15 AM 2/21/2004
Old 02-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (Terrabomb)

thanks man. It was a lucky find. All Canadian Funds btw.

T
Old 02-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice post...
Old 02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (Terrabomb)

that was a ******* great post man, im up to find/wiring my spool valve lol
damn y8 parts are hard as ***** to find around here. congrates
Old 02-20-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (EvilPinkEye)

Thanks Guys,

its ridiculous to think of the amount of time, money and effort you put into your car when you actually write it down. Madness. I'm sure there are plenty here with alot more stuff modified in their cars than mine, but still its a start.

I'm looking for a y8 intake manifold and maybe a b18a throttle body too actually. I've read on a here a few times it makes very small but measureable differences so I'm gonna try that first.

It is still the dead of winter here now but as for this summer, I have to repaint the car and get body work done so I'm going to have it repainted a dark wine red with replica mugen lip, replica type-r tail and maybe some EK sideskirts. Oh yea, authentic vision amber corners and removing the rest of the tint as well.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice story. Keep it up
Old 02-20-2004, 04:12 PM

got rice?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: (Bunz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bunz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got rice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but he has an Si parts car.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If the Si rear disks aren't damaged, I'd swap those next.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (Blazin Si)

I had fun reading that. I like stories You silly canadians have the weirdest model designation stickers
Old 02-21-2004, 06:08 PM

thanks for the replies guys. The process was great fun. I'm in the process of deciding whether to go all motor or boost now before summer:D

T
Old 02-21-2004, 06:31 PM

Great write up on the little motor that could...

Good Luck with it.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (RangerDan)

nice transition.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (J.R.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J.R. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice transition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i read that whole story...

awesome
Old 02-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Story of my Hatch/ D15b7 to d16z6 / Pictures / Info / ..bored silly.. (kKdARIAN)

good write up nice de-ricing
Old 02-21-2004, 09:55 PM

yea great luck, wish i could say the same i recentley crashed my car, looking for an EG
Old 02-22-2004, 01:10 AM

Nice story....hope I have the time to type my own story some time of my car fixing experiences.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:52 AM

nice story man.

good post!

Old 02-22-2004, 02:32 AM

love the story man, and nice pics
Old 02-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read with breakfast nice work bro
Old 02-22-2004, 02:24 PM
mike93eh

at first i thought this was a guide how-to rice out your car...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

^^me too, haha but I like the outcome, Congrats, I have almost the same thing right now, getting painted s2k NFR. Question, did you start wanting that back to stock look after finding honda-tech? have fun...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: (b18c1civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c1civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^me too, haha but I like the outcome, Congrats, I have almost the same thing right now, getting painted s2k NFR. Question, did you start wanting that back to stock look after finding honda-tech? have fun... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man you couldn't be more on the spot with that on. Once the H-T bug bit me I was lookin for stock look, all money dumped under the hood. Thanks for the comments guys. I'm posting new pics of the engine bay in winter mode in a few days.. horribly dirty:D

T