Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I DONT GET IT~~~!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I DONT GET IT~~~!!!

ihave a stock 99 ek motor, and its a d16, why do people build on that engine, whats so good about it?...i have a friend that has full piping, headers, intake and an exhaust and it only hits 16's, and its sounds like its going to blow up...so i dont get it? is it a really good engine?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (Son99ek)

search, its not that its a really good motor but, its cheap and can make more, some dude just ran 12's with a SOHC VTEC, bolt on's and 70 shot with slicks. Bisi ran a SOHC NON vtec motor and it was really fast 11 or low 12 NA. again this was a race car and i don't think you could run it on the streets but it has potential.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to the track last night, and there was an eg hatch with a d16 spraying a 70 shot, and he was running 12.3! He had a few other mods, but the internals were all stock. The way I see it, if you can get that kind of power out of one of those little things, why spend the money on a b16 or a b18? If he blows his motor, he could get a new one for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:50 AM

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (civic_freak)

there's an SOHC non-vtec in utah running very low 12's. i personally think all motor SOHC's are a joke, i've never seen one put out more than 130whp. but if you throw a turbo or nitrous on one, you can have a pretty mean little engine.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:07 AM

So, in turn whats better? motor swap or build on this engine?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Son99ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, in turn whats better? motor swap or build on this engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it all depends on what you actually do.

sohc does have potential, and can be a quite potent powerplant,

but you have to know what your doing.
Just putting the boltons on a sohc EK is practically pointless..
the power/weight ratio just isnt there.

doing sohc on a smaller lighter car does have posibilities,
because the motors/upgrades are super cheap, and it takes less power to
get a lighter car going faster. But you want the lightest you can get.
for example,
a 92-95 base model hatch(dx/vx/cx) with a sohc vtec swapped in(out of an ex or si), and just standard boltons, and weight reduction, can easily run mid/low 15's.

NOW as for your car, and your question
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, in turn whats better? motor swap or build on this engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

turbo it, or swap,
I would not suggest building on your current engine with normal mods(i/h/e).
maybe if you went all out and build up the internals, you might not have to build the block, but lower the compression, get a really nice cam, good boltons and you could have a pretty quick setup for not too much money.

if you want to go really fast though, definetely turbo is the way to go.
And if you spend equal $$ on a swap compared to turbo, the turbo setup would be faster on your current motor.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Re: (Tad)

it all about weight as was said before, u don't mention if your car is a hatch, coupe, or sedan. if u do a quick search for spades post on sohc upgrades there is quite a bit of info about the d-series. alot of people are building the d-series now to be different and also because there are a few budget build up recipe's for the motor. there are quite a few people on the board who have pretty good sohc setups.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, in turn whats better? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Motor swap.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search, its not that its a really good motor but, its cheap and can make more, some dude just ran 12's with a SOHC VTEC, bolt on's and 70 shot with slicks. Bisi ran a SOHC NON vtec motor and it was really fast 11 or low 12 NA. again this was a race car and i don't think you could run it on the streets but it has potential.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bisi is in high 9s i think now. sohc non-vtec . I'll say that people shouldn't expect to run this though, he's kinda unique in his setup.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:22 AM

D-series motors are crap, i'll buy yours for $20. The d16 is just like a b16 with 30 less HP.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (Matt B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Matt B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D-series motors are crap, i'll buy yours for $20. The d16 is just like a b16 with 30 less HP. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually No.

D16 vs. B16...whats that? The D16 actually MAKES POWER over the B16 from 4000-6000 RPM?!?!?!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Matt B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D-series motors are crap, i'll buy yours for $20. The d16 is just like a b16 with 30 less HP. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Of every one of your posts I've ever seen, I'm just going to say you're an ignorant fool.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The b16 is also 2-3 times the price of a d16.

It really matters what you wanna do, if you have the knowledge and you can do work yourself then you can build up your d into a beast, swaps are usually for people that have alot of money because they get the swap then build the motor or dont know how to actually build up their current motor right. So they just get a swap then throw on some bolt ons.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (JRI94)

TAD broke it down real good. My friend is running 184.5 HP with a Turbo D16Y8, with stock internals at 7 pounds of boost. to me that pretty fast.

SOHC OWNS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

there are decent with a turbo.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the Civic was never really designed as a RACE CAR so the D series engines are more of an economical engine. not really designed to race or rev high. but sense they can be found for pennies why not run them hard till they die and then replace them. swaps are good for daily drivers and people who hate doing regular matanance on their cars. if u want to go fast and just drive then swap. If u don't mind poping the hood 2wice a week and keeping an eye on your engine and car, and like to get your hands drity then go with a turbo D16 u will go as fast for the same price of less, but will spend much more time under the hood.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_freak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to the track last night, and there was an eg hatch with a d16 spraying a 70 shot, and he was running 12.3! He had a few other mods, but the internals were all stock. The way I see it, if you can get that kind of power out of one of those little things, why spend the money on a b16 or a b18? If he blows his motor, he could get a new one for a couple hundred bucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well if u can get that kinda power out of a SOHC non VTEC, imagine a DOHC VTEC... don't limit yourself.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_freak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to the track last night, and there was an eg hatch with a d16 spraying a 70 shot, and he was running 12.3! He had a few other mods, but the internals were all stock. The way I see it, if you can get that kind of power out of one of those little things, why spend the money on a b16 or a b18? If he blows his motor, he could get a new one for a couple hundred bucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The way I see it is that the guy with nitrous will always have to worry about refilling his bottle and can only shoot the NOS on straightaways and if he does choose to go turbo then he'll end up spending a couple thousand and get the same horsepower level's as a B16A or B18C, but not as reliable. If he decides to turn up the juice then he'll have to reinforce the whole motor to withstand the added power. If he keeps buying the D series motor after they all blow up then he really needs someone else to tune the car for hom and it does add up. Anyhow just my 2cents.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (Spartanic)

I can't believe I'm participating in ANOTHER D vs. B thread here, but oh well. For what I spent on my turbo setup (about the price of a B16A2 swap), I am running high 13s in an EK hatch. With that B16 swap I would barely be breaking mid 14s if I was lucky. The D turbo will be more than enough for most people (unless you are a big time track *****) but will require more maintenance and know how than just slapping in a new motor and calling it a day. In turn, the D will have less expandibility potential and unless you dump a bunch of money into the transmission, a less effective transmission.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

I don't think I'd trade my SOHC VTEC Turbo for a DOHC VTEC swap. I love boost and whats more important is that I only needed to put 2500 under the hood to make it faster than a DOHC VTEC swap or just as quick. I have seen some b18c1 hatches go 14.0 with basic bolt ons. Also, bisi went mid to low 10s with a destroked d15 carborated. He now is running an f22 setup which is still sohc but with alot more displacement.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (BauleyCivic)

I was kidding about the d-series being crap.
I run a turbo d-series and wouldn't trade it for a b-series swap ever.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

- a little over the edge, no??

in the end, you get what you pay for. If you wanna keep up with the really fast cars.. the d-series is not the way to go. I'm sorry if i offend anyone, but there are no SOHC powered cars in my area that are worth talking about.

It's true that you can easily hit 13's with a SOHC-turbo or nos... but you don't have to push a b-series motor nearly as hard to go a little slower.

hehe.. HT should have an auto-delete for b vs d debates... they always get out of hand.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're the man
Old 02-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're the man </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha... "pissing people off"
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: I DONT GET IT~~~!!! (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're the man </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was kidding about the d-series being crap.
I run a turbo d-series and wouldn't trade it for a b-series swap ever.

Quick Reply: I DONT GET IT~~~!!!