Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF??

ok so yeah ... I searched ... didnt get much there ... Ok ... i just did an alignment after replacing my pass side innner tie rod. Camber is way off.. and cannot be adjusted until i get my kit ... Problem is ... Car is pulling Very hard to the Left under hard accel... and under soft accel still pulls to the Left ... just not as hard ... I have to turn the wheel to the right to continue straight...

When i decel or let go of the gas pedal ... The car will jerk back to the right and i have to compensate by turning the wheel back to straight ...

I have checked brake calipers, They seem to be fine ... My driver axle is going bad ... but i highly doubt that is it ... I am noticing a slight *clunk* from the driver side wheel ... when i move the wheel side to side ... with the car off ... or if i move the steering wheel i can hear it as well ...

Not sure how much more info i can give ... someone please help if you can... Much appreciated ... Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF?? (LSegHatchy)

Replace that axle i think i had a similar problem like that a while back and it was the axle...
Old 02-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF?? (LSegHatchy)

Could also be suspension bushings. If you have a enough torn/worn bushings on one side but the other side is fine, then during acceleration/deceleration the one side will change it's geometry while the other side will stay relatively neutral.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF?? (MonkeyBoy66

its called torque steer i dont think replacing the axle will do anything because i replaced one of my axles and it dosnt pull to one side it may have something to do with alignment but you said you just got that done it may be something to do with the camber being off i wouldnt worry about it untill you fix that then if it still does it then you have a problem the torque steer would be worse if the car already pulls to one side because of the camber
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF?? (MonkeyBoy66

All bushings are new on the suspension ... Welp most of them except upper balljoint ... Cuz that is part of the camber kit i ordered... So i saw no point in ordering one of those ... I know its not torque steer ... i know what torque steer is ... This is not torque seteer .. but thanks for the advice ... Ne one else got ne ideas ... please spit them out i would love to hear them

Old 02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

how are the motor mounts?? mine does tha same thing but thats because i know my lower left motor mount is bad (which new ones should be here soon) i'd check those
Old 02-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bump, i have a similar experience
Old 02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoej8)

motor mounts are great condition ... No problems there ... just got done replacing all those
Old 02-28-2006, 06:51 PM

do you have an lsd? can you wobble either wheel when you are holding the top and the bottom of the tire when the car is in the air?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevinarich)

No ... there is absolutely no play with the wheel from top to bottom ... But i pulled off the wheel today and realized when they did my alignment they failed to tighten the jam nut on the back of the outer tie rod end

So yeah ... Im going to check it out today ... I realized there is a decent amount of play in my sterring wheel before my wheels actually respond ... Im wondering if maybe my Steering rack is dead or not ... A friend said i should check the "u-joint" that is on the steering shaft column ... and also right where it meets the steering rack itself ... that there may be something messed up there ... when you move the steering wheel side to side there is like a metal *Clunk*... So im not quite sure ... Ne one know ne thing ... please help Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSegHatchy)

i was also reading about a steering rack adjustment ... Does ne one have any good info on that ???
Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 AM
tpr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the other tierod end and the mounting bolts for the steering rack.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering pulls to left under accel... let off gas and jerks back to the right WTF?? (tpr)

Someone has to know something ?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had a camber kit on my EK and before it would pull hard to the left. All my mounts, bushings, and susp was ok, but it was WAY out of alignment before the kit install. I even have mismatch tires on the front end and it is straight as an arrow now. I think you just have a serious alignment issue. Get those adj balljoints on there/align it, then check again.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: (o2flow.net)

off the top of my head, bad axle bearings, something broken in the differential, broken or worn motor mount. Sounds like a bad motor mount, or something was misaligned or installed wrong.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm.... pulling when driving (not ******* the **** out of it). most common things are stated except for one. which i have stated in many "pulling and vibration" post. TIRES. see tires develop a patch in the steel belts. this condition is called a "radial pull" swap some tires around, go side to side if you dont have directional tires. if the pull goes away or changes directions you found the problem. i would start with that. the harder you accelerate will amplify any "radial pull" because is puts more force on the steel belts inside the tire. hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you rotate or replace your tires after the tie-rod replacement. The camber and bad tie-rod may have worn the tires out funny and your noticing it now that the front is correct. Wouldn't hurt to put a couple of different wheels/tires on the front (other than the ones on it right now, tires that you know are matched) to see if it pulls straight then. I had a 92 Si that did that when I bought it. The tires were worn badly from hard driving and bad camber/alignment. I put new tires on the front....straight as an arrow.

Also, might want to see if your suspension is balanced right. (if your have any sort of ride-height adjustable suspension) Your springs may have settled causing the balance (Front-Right to Rear-Left OR Front-Left to Rear-Right) to favor one side or the other. this could cause a "pull" and wear your tires out accordingly.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it really sounds like bad motor or tranny mounts but tires would cause a problem too ,also make sure you check that steering shaft like your friend said. but can't really diagnose a car without looking at it. good luck man
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didn't read it, but that's probably an axle problem, they always tug
Old 03-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

for future referance, dont post in a thread that you havent read. an axle wont cause a pulling. a vibration yes, but never a pull.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

Welp i found something out today ... I went completely over the entire susp. From top to bottom and the steering ... Come to find out my passenger side Inner lower control arm bushing ... Welp its gone ... The whole wheel has free play and movement in it ... And i suspected that the arm was bent ne ways so imma go ahead and replace that ... ... ... Deos ne one here think that could be causing this ... When i say free play i mean movement due to the bad bushing ...

Ne one ???
Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the bushing being bad can cause all your problems. swap it out and i bet it takes care of it, rotate the tires anyways, and i would get an alignment in the near future.