Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem

Ok I can not figure out what is wrong or what to even check. When i try and start my car it wont start. Turn the key and i can hear the relay inside click asked someone to listen to see if the starter is clicking but it does not. I can run a power wire to the starter where the signal from the ign. goes and it will start and work fine. so i can drive my car. Well the worst thing is it only does this sometimes. I think that no power is getting sent to the starter to tell it to turn on. I have checked all the connections i can think of. Maybe ign. maybe starter. maybe short. fuse is good. and so i one under the hood. Anyone ever have this prob? or know what i should do to try and find out what it is. Dont just wanna start rplacing things b/c it cost too much. so trying to find probl first.

Suck happens most when im in a hurry or am with my girlfriend.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Starting Problem (GreenEX)

Wow thanks for all the GREAT info. haha guess no one has any ideas
Old 12-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I can not figure out what is wrong or what to even check. When i try and start my car it wont start. Turn the key and i can hear the relay inside click asked someone to listen to see if the starter is clicking but it does not. I can run a power wire to the starter where the signal from the ign. goes and it will start and work fine. so i can drive my car. Well the worst thing is it only does this sometimes. I think that no power is getting sent to the starter to tell it to turn on. I have checked all the connections i can think of. Maybe ign. maybe starter. maybe short. fuse is good. and so i one under the hood. Anyone ever have this prob? or know what i should do to try and find out what it is. Dont just wanna start rplacing things b/c it cost too much. so trying to find probl first.

Suck happens most when im in a hurry or am with my girlfriend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have the same kinda problem... how do you run a power wire to the starter? I see a small black wire, a big plastic plug type wire and another wire underneath attached with a bolt... which is which?

https://honda-tech.com/zeromodi...82893
Old 12-04-2005, 12:51 PM

haha w/ur gf. yea i remember when i used to drive a 94 accord and i'd park it up a hill and it wouldnt start because the engine was flooded due to a faulty MAP sensor or something like that. then i'd put it into neutral n let it roll down the hill and pop it into gear. man that was crazy. well yea lol. this morning my EG wouldnt start either. it had power. i could see the dome lights and the fuel pump definately started. i turned the key and it went CLICK CLICK. took the battery out n jumped it for about 15min then put it back in and started fine. what puzzles me is that you can still start the car with the IGN wire. i dont know i think i would check your main relay just incase? bump
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Starting Problem (jxmac2o6)

Its weird b/c everything works and does what it is supposed to except the starter. it doesnt click or anything when the problem is happening. but like i said sometimes it works fine. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whatcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have the same kinda problem... how do you run a power wire to the starter? I see a small black wire, a big plastic plug type wire and another wire underneath attached with a bolt... which is which?

https://honda-tech.com/zeromodi...82893
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The black wire that is pluged in that is small and near the front is the wire you run power to when starting the car. it is the wire that gets power when you turn the key to start. When i do that the car turns over fine.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

test the big fat wire going from battery to starter for continuity/resistance... make sure it's tightened good to the battery and starter.. also, make sure that the ignition wire is plugged snug in there (that small black wire)