Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car won't turn over but push starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't turn over but push starts

I have a 93 civic si and the car just suddenly won't start. But the car starts right up when I push start it. When I turn the key nothing happens and I don't hear any clicking from the starter. I bought a new starter and it still wouldn't start. So the starter is not the problem. I also checked all the fuses and they are all good. I thought it was the ignition relay and changed that too. Still that was not the problem either. So does anyone know what the problem is or what it can be. Can someone please help??????
Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 PM

ignition switch
Old 10-14-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Re: car won't turn over but push starts (b16v)

same thing happen to me, i still don't know what's wrong with it, we've tried almost everything, and i've singled out both of those. if you find out what's wrong with your car, share.. because i want my car running again. g'luck.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:14 PM
tangb2023

Default Re: (solo2slocivic)

is ur batt good? starter ground and positive set.. dont think it is ignition switch cause it does start on a push, although hondas do have alot of prob's with them..can only think of ur starter and power.. since ur car does start when pushed..

Old 10-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hrmmm... throing any codes at all????

check all wiring and connections make surte there tight ... that is a problem a lot of times with anything ... check grounds .. check all the small things first .... (and cheap) try to hot wire the starter and see if it moves at alll
Old 10-14-2003, 11:22 PM

trying changing the ignition... get another ignition harness... I had the same problem but something with my ignition was wrong. I was told to get the ignition wiring harness and change it... did that and it worked..
Old 10-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car won't turn over but push starts (hatchii)

take the car to your local parts shop like advance they do free battery testing and just pull your starter off in the parking lot or bring it to them and i am not sure but i think testing your starter is free also. sounds to me like starter or batt but i am not there to ACCUALLY diagnose the car remeber always check the simple things first.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

The battery is good and I have checked all the grounds and connections. And the starter does spin when I bypass it with a screwdriver. But it does not crank, it just keeps spinning.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (b16v)

ok so now you knwo it's not the starter ... ... does the radiator fan spin when you tuen the key foward to try and start it?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (Sprfreek)

You did check all relays and fuses correct? if not do that
Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 AM

Try another starter take it back and get a diffrent one. I have bought a new starter well rebuilt one and it did'nt work and i took it back and the next one did they somthimes do have bad ones. Another thing i had a problem with my car not starting and i also could push start it. It was my clutch engagment switch it tells your car that the clutch is in so its ok to start the car i just adjusted mine and it started right up just look under your dash and follow your clutch up and there is a o2 sensor looking thing with a button that pushes in when you push your clutch in just adjust it and see if that works.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (99blackcivicSi)

How exactly do I check a relay to see if it is good??
Old 10-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could there be anyway something wrong with the distributor??
Old 10-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Re: (NaughtyKnight666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NaughtyKnight666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try another starter take it back and get a diffrent one. I have bought a new starter well rebuilt one and it did'nt work and i took it back and the next one did they somthimes do have bad ones. Another thing i had a problem with my car not starting and i also could push start it. It was my clutch engagment switch it tells your car that the clutch is in so its ok to start the car i just adjusted mine and it started right up just look under your dash and follow your clutch up and there is a o2 sensor looking thing with a button that pushes in when you push your clutch in just adjust it and see if that works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To the poster and the guy who has the same problem... BOTH of you should check this...

Oh wait... the poster said when he bypass' the ig. switch the starter just spins...

That's either a bad starter, improperly installed starter (not making contact with the flywheel) or a bad section of teeth on the flywheel (nothing to grab onto)... those are your ONLY possibilities as to why it's not cranking...

I'm not clear on whether or not you can spin the starter with the ignition switch or not though...
Old 10-17-2003, 08:40 PM

i think you have a bad wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter is open or the igntion switch is bad. anything else im me.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds simple. Check the clutch engagement pin. Is your floor mats in the way of the clutch hitting the floor. You need to push the clutch in to start the car so does the car know its being pushed in?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16v &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The battery is good and I have checked all the grounds and connections. And the starter does spin when I bypass it with a screwdriver. But it does not crank, it just keeps spinning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok a starter has 2 things in it.. one is an acutator and the actual motor. it sounds like your actuator is not working.. the actuator is what moves the gear from your starter out and touches the flywheel. If you still have the old one you will see what I am talking about.. take that gear and pull it out.. So check your car by asking someone to start the car and you listen to the starter to see if it does the same thing.. if so then go back and ask for another starter.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Trial User

Default I have a 2000 civic coupe hx push start but won't crank over

My car will push start but won't crank over I changed the battery and start when I go to start it it clicks once and that's it won't crank over when I put the battery cables back and went to start it my friend said the battery sparked any ideas?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't turn over but push starts

you know the little wire that comes from your starter? it might have a little boot over it where it connects to the starter. it should be a single small wire.

jump that wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
*if you do this without the key turned to the on position, the starter with just start cranking

if you have the key turned, and you jump that little wire from the starter to the battery, the car will start if your starter.....

be careful if the car is in gear it will probably drive away and fix all your problems

damnit.. just try that..

basically, if the key is turned and you jump the wire to the battery, and the car starts, you probably have a little wiring issue. you can just put a toggle switch between that little wire on the starter and the battery.

get it? sorry. i had this issue, and my fix was a new wire and toggle switch

pm me if that was too much of a garbage explanation..

Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If jumping the starter under the hood works, the most common reason for this, as someone already noted in 2003, is the clutch switch. The plastic pin and pad that presses the button on the switch will break and fall out of the clutch pedal arm.

Don't rig your wiring. Better options are:
Buy a new pad, about $3.00 from a dealer.
Put a bolt and nut in the hole, so the head of the bolt presses the switch when the clutch is pressed.
Jump the switch. This will make the starter run when the key is turned even if the clutch is not pressed.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:02 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by shmooly
you know the little wire that comes from your starter? it might have a little boot over it where it connects to the starter. it should be a single small wire.

jump that wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
*if you do this without the key turned to the on position, the starter with just start cranking

if you have the key turned, and you jump that little wire from the starter to the battery, the car will start if your starter.....

be careful if the car is in gear it will probably drive away and fix all your problems

damnit.. just try that..

basically, if the key is turned and you jump the wire to the battery, and the car starts, you probably have a little wiring issue. you can just put a toggle switch between that little wire on the starter and the battery.

get it? sorry. i had this issue, and my fix was a new wire and toggle switch

pm me if that was too much of a garbage explanation..

hey I was wondering if you could help me wire my acura to bypass my starter because mine ia also not cranking over so do I put a wire from the battery to the starter and the switch under the hood?
Old 12-26-2020, 05:17 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by runitup
I have a 93 civic si and the car just suddenly won't start. But the car starts right up when I push start it. When I turn the key nothing happens and I don't hear any clicking from the starter. I bought a new starter and it still wouldn't start. So the starter is not the problem. I also checked all the fuses and they are all good. I thought it was the ignition relay and changed that too. Still that was not the problem either. So does anyone know what the problem is or what it can be. Can someone please help??????

I have a 97 Honda Civic Dx no crank will start by popping clutch everytime. I changed the battery due to slow crank and no start. After changing the battery I had a no crank, that's all I done. I checked for corrosion on major contact points. I ended up finding that starter was stuck and used a blunt object to hit it a couple times and car been starting since.