Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spun Rod Bearing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spun Rod Bearing!!!

Ok well as some of you know i have been working on my ls vtec turbo project which really started when i bought my SOHC Automatic del sol..and well after i converted it to manual..and put my ls/vtec setup in ...the bottom end in which consisted of:

Ls Block
Scat H beam rods w/ Arp rod bolts
Mahle 9:1 compression pistons
Mahle Piston Rings
Oem main Bearings
Acl Race Rod bearing
Arp Headstuds
Gsr timing belt
B16 vtec oil pump
B16 vtec water pump
Oem ls headgasket Modified for ls vtec
Unorthadox Racing Crank Pulley
Fidanza 7.5lb Flywheel
Turbo Tapped oil pan
All new gaskets and seals

spun a rod bearing because i tried to daily drive on them.....I was going to change to oem rod bearings when i got a chance but didnt get around to it in time!! The race rod bearings only lasted 800 miles...i honestly thought i would have got at least 1200 out of them...(dumb mistake). But anyways my question is ..i pulled the bottom end apart...and the crank is messed up..but i will replace with a balanced ls crank so i can rev higher and i will change to oem bearing..but on my rods i have a heat mark...its not that bad (ive seen alot worse) but i was wondering if scat sells only 1 rod??? If not i will try to work with these rods. Looking for some feedback on people who spun rod bearings and still used the same rods afterwords.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Spun Rod Bearing!!! (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Looking for some feedback on people who spun rod bearings and still used the same rods afterwords.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can get it resized if it's not too bad.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spun Rod Bearing!!! (hotimportcrx)

Scat should have no problem selling you one rod.If you can give them the weights they can send you one that is exactly the same or slightly heavier so it can be balanced to the rest.I would suggest a new rod rather than repairing the bad one.
Glenn
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
R.I.P. Andy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotimportcrx
Ok well as some of you know i have been working on my ls vtec turbo project which really started when i bought my SOHC Automatic del sol..and well after i converted it to manual..and put my ls/vtec setup in ...the bottom end in which consisted of:

Ls Block
Scat H beam rods w/ Arp rod bolts
Mahle 9:1 compression pistons
Mahle Piston Rings
Oem main Bearings
Acl Race Rod bearing
Arp Headstuds
Gsr timing belt
B16 vtec oil pump
B16 vtec water pump
Oem ls headgasket Modified for ls vtec
Unorthadox Racing Crank Pulley
Fidanza 7.5lb Flywheel
Turbo Tapped oil pan
All new gaskets and seals

spun a rod bearing because i tried to daily drive on them.....I was going to change to oem rod bearings when i got a chance but didnt get around to it in time!! The race rod bearings only lasted 800 miles...i honestly thought i would have got at least 1200 out of them...(dumb mistake). But anyways my question is ..i pulled the bottom end apart...and the crank is messed up..but i will replace with a balanced ls crank so i can rev higher and i will change to oem bearing..but on my rods i have a heat mark...its not that bad (ive seen alot worse) but i was wondering if scat sells only 1 rod??? If not i will try to work with these rods. Looking for some feedback on people who spun rod bearings and still used the same rods afterwords.
sounds like you are blaming it on acl bearings, are you sure your clearances were right? and oil pressure was good? I highly doubt a bearing would fail for no reason other than "daily driving" I have daily driven on acl bearings numerous times with no problems. If there is heat marks on the big end of the rod, that really tells me that there was an lubrication problem, or way too tight of clearances.

To answer your question, if there is heat marks, chances are the rod is out of round now. Don't reuse it unless you like doing rebuilds. And yes I'm sure scat would sell you one rod.