Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

spring rate for my ek hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring rate for my ek hatch

hi HT..im looking forward on buying koni/gc suspension... what is the best spring rate for my ek hatch, it has 15" wheels with 195/50 tires, and no fender to wheel gap.(my car is 3 1/2" off the ground) I almost daily drive it so I wanted comfort but still want that sporty feel and stiff enough not to bottom out. as of now I have kyb and sk2 coils combo and I bounce allover the car.. if it helps my car has a bseries swap and no back seat. thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: spring rate for my ek hatch

KYB AGX's aren't meant to be slammed they're an entry level shock I know I had them threw skunk 2 springs(not coils) on them and bounced over every bump. there is not best in this situation play around with it and see
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no such thing as best.

No one can tell you what rates to get because it's all preference. What you may call soft, others may call too stiff and vice-versa.

The lower you go the stiffer the springs will have to be.

I guess you missed the sticky at the top of the Suspension forum that answers this redundantly asked question.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@93. I did and its currently on the softest setting right now but still.

@marc. I just want know what peoples input, experience, that's why I list down how my stands so if ever there's members out there that has same car, with a different suspension good for daily driving they can give me some info/knowledge etc...
and about that sticky, I never missed it but my question is what suitable "spring rate" for a ek hatch.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
The Grumpiest

So an opinion poll? No tech then. Your question is too open ended. You'll get the same damn answers that everyone else gets when they post this tired question.

And suitable is whatever you prefer. Makes no difference what everyone elses experiences are.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^my question is very simple... I never ask for your opinion.. if you don't have any useful answer to my question and start making un necessary stuff to say, then why post a comment on my thread?? didn't they made hondatech.com to get useful, informative answers...?? not to get bash or get smart *ss comments from people like you..!! my bad if im not so "tech" like you sir.. but get the F out of my thread!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM
The Grumpiest

Public forum. I think I'm allowed to post where ever and in whatever manner I choose to.

You cannot seem to understand that 1,000,000 people could reply to this thread and NONE OF THEM could tell you what is a suitable spring rate is for your spine and backside and style of driving. The eleventy-billion threads asking this VERY SAME thing in the Suspension forum pretty much answers this one as well. The sticky in the Suspension forum also gives you a good idea what is suitable and where you may want to base your choice of spring rate.

There is no tech in this thread. It's just a chatroom session. Don't get mad at me because I pointed it out. If you just want to shoot the breeze they have a forum for that too.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1999 Civic Hatchback and just recently got the GC/Koni combo. I went with 500lb/in springs in the front and 400lb/in springs in the rear. It is a little bouncy when I'm traveling over 65 on the highway. The spring rate in the rear is what mostly determines ride quality, if I ever decided to order new springs or swap out with someone I would go with 300lb/in in the rear.

I can tell its just a little too high of a spring rate since I often carry rolls of aluminum in the back and once I put about 80-100lbs of weight back there the ride settles down and feels stiff but smooth. Absolutely no complaints about the front, I'm on full stiff there and its not bad at all.

My jack points are about 2" from the ground, 23" measured from the highest point of the fender arch to the ground. I'm tucking the tire of the oem steelies.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superiorx120
^^my question is very simple... I never ask for your opinion.. if you don't have any useful answer to my question and start making un necessary stuff to say, then why post a comment on my thread?? didn't they made hondatech.com to get useful, informative answers...?? not to get bash or get smart *ss comments from people like you..!! my bad if im not so "tech" like you sir.. but get the F out of my thread!
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no fender to wheel gap = goodbye comfort, dont go under 500lbs front, rear is personal preference, I always go 100 higher on the rear then the front, but youll have to figure that out on your own.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call them and ASK A CERTIFIED REP for a suggestion. Not random people.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running koni GC on 15' wheels, 1 finger gap
430f/300r

It rides great, so what i can say is not to go below such rates.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks much for sharing!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 AM
The Grumpiest

Sharing what? Sharing the same info that can easily be found in the suspension forum or any of the other "What's the best suspension" threads people have started. None of the things these people have said is new information.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sharing what? Sharing the same info that can easily be found in the suspension forum or any of the other "What's the best suspension" threads people have started. None of the things these people have said is new information.
Tis True..... "Best" is a personal preference and can only be determined by the driver.
Its what feels good to you.
What that guy gave you has been repeated several times or better yet a gazillion times in the suspension forum.
What you wanted was the spoon fed answer.
You got one now go buy the shocks and those spring rates and see if you like it.
FYI what feels good to one doesnt to another thats why they tell you to go experiment and find your own set up.
There is no "out of the box problem solved" answer here.
Not everyone drives the same.