Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

spoon sports vs superplug

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spoon sports vs superplug

i was bored and waiting for the superbowl game to start.

not sure if anyone has done a comparison on these two pricy magnetic drain plugs, if so accept my apologizes and lock thread.

spoon plug

superplug (same length as spoon)

this is just a simple comparison of the spoon and superplug oil pan drain plug (because they are both expensive). the theory is more strength in the magnet then more particles will be picked up. and that is all this comparison is. which has more magnetic strength. nothing more, nothing less. so lets not debate this to the ground.. (your filter will do the majority of the particle pickup)

object to be tested has a weight of 5lbs on a home scale. (breaker bar and other tools just taped together)

scale is tested with 4kilogram/ 8.8lb weight. which comes to 8.5lbs close enough for this test.

results of the superplug: the plug can lift 5lbs (80 ounces) without a problem.
results of spoon plug will not lift anything over .5lbs (8 ounces) (1 regular sized 1/4 inch rachet) sorry no photos since i sold my spoon plugs.

http://www.superplug.com/home.html

if you do decide to order. for some reason they dont answer their emails on the site. but your order will go through and give it a week..kinda weird i sent them like 30 emails and almost cancelled my credit card order when i received the plug in the mail... i am not saying to order it, i'm just letting you know for some reason they dont answer their emails, but the order does go through.

Modified by cxSHOE at 1:36 PM 2/6/2005

Modified by cxSHOE at 1:52 PM 2/6/2005
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: spoon sports vs superplug (cxSHOE)

Wow, where do you buy the superplug from?

I might need to get rid of my Spoon sports plug....
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so this just keeps the metal particles from circulating in the motor? ive never seen this before. are these really that affective? it seems like a waste of money to me.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spoon sports vs superplug (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so this just keeps the metal particles from circulating in the motor? ive never seen this before. are these really that affective? it seems like a waste of money to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats the idea, the oil filter should pick up all the particles before reaching the engine..

this is just another plug to think about getting thats all. no plug how ever strong will be better than your oil filter. so take it with a grain of salt.

i dont want this to turn into. its useless and a waste of money thread.. its just a comparison between two plugs nothing more.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:33 PM

well now i know how much are they?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a spoon plug...im going to stay with it? if you think about, you will never collect more than a couple grams of metal flakes from your pan anyways...if everytime you do an oil change and you got tons of metal on your plug, somethings not right...there is problems with your internals and within time, will have to do a rebuild
Old 02-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so this just keeps the metal particles from circulating in the motor? ive never seen this before. are these really that affective? it seems like a waste of money to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's more of an insurance/peace of mind item. I would rather have one than not. I need to see how many lbs the one I just found can lift. Where did you get that superplug from? I wonder how good the PasswordJDM one is.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: spoon sports vs superplug (emoney9)

I would find it rather funny if it sucked a bearing out of place with all that JDM magnetic force.

A good oil filter is good enough for me, although if I were getting a mag drain plug, I'd go with the superplug .
Old 02-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emoney9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a spoon plug...im going to stay with it? if you think about, you will never collect more than a couple grams of metal flakes from your pan anyways...if everytime you do an oil change and you got tons of metal on your plug, somethings not right...there is problems with your internals and within time, will have to do a rebuild</TD></TR></TABLE>

true you should only see very small specs.. ive used the spoon one with 3 oil changes and all were about the same. i will see if this will pick up more or not. in the next 3,000 miles
Old 02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spoon sports vs superplug (ITR 98 1162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR 98 1162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's more of an insurance/peace of mind item. I would rather have one than not. I need to see how many lbs the one I just found can lift. Where did you get that superplug from? I wonder how good the PasswordJDM one is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

link is at the bottom. and yes test the password one and post your results here ..
Old 02-06-2005, 12:47 PM

All the bolt does is pickup metal from the bottom of the drain pan when the engine isnt running. Good for oil changes, and thats about it. Its not like it give you + HP. I use to use these on my dirtbike awhile back, thats how I know.

Good write up though, pretty cool how that plug can pickup 5lbs.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emoney9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a spoon plug...im going to stay with it? if you think about, you will never collect more than a couple grams of metal flakes from your pan anyways...if everytime you do an oil change and you got tons of metal on your plug, somethings not right...there is problems with your internals and within time, will have to do a rebuild</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, just picks up few grams, they all do same job. just a good way of checkin potential probs whenever you change oil
Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Neat
Old 02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

good test. If i ever decide to get one, it won't be spoon, thats for sure
Old 02-06-2005, 01:04 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (spoon.eg)

u people realize that there isnt any magnetic parts in the motor everything is nickel or aluminum and maybe brass if you actaully get some kind of metalparticles thats getting cought on the drain plug then you have more problems that you should be having and most likely you prolly woudl notice it more then just driving the car when you have problems like that flaking/ chipping off on your motor ...now the tranny is a different story this is based on a honda motor
Old 02-06-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would find it rather funny if it sucked a bearing out of place with all that JDM magnetic force.

A good oil filter is good enough for me, although if I were getting a mag drain plug, I'd go with the superplug .</TD></TR></TABLE>
aaahahahha jdm magnetic force thats great! its drawing everyone in
Old 02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShowTymers619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u people realize that there isnt any magnetic parts in the motor everything is nickel or aluminum and maybe brass if you actaully get some kind of metalparticles thats getting cought on the drain plug then you have more problems that you should be having and most likely you prolly woudl notice it more then just driving the car when you have problems like that flaking/ chipping off on your motor ...now the tranny is a different story this is based on a honda motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what the sleeves are made of? Or the bearings? Or any of the wear components in the oil pump and/or pickup?

Careful now...wouldn't want to be called out because you spoke in haste without knowing what you were talking about .
Old 02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

nice test
Old 02-06-2005, 02:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know what the sleeves are made of? Or the bearings? Or any of the wear components in the oil pump and/or pickup?

Careful now...wouldn't want to be called out because you spoke in haste without knowing what you were talking about .</TD></TR></TABLE>

you show me that the bearings in a honda is magnetic and show me and same goes with the components in the oil pump , the sleeves in a honda is not concidered a wear item in the motor if you see pieces of your sleeves in your oil you have more problems then what a little magnet will be doing in the oil pan

and honda bearings is made of copper and nickel by the way
and last i remember oil pick up is made of stamp steel
oil pump gears is made of tri metal copper nickel and i forget the other part of it and aluminum i think .. or just aluminum on aftermarket parts

i have not yet check the compound of the sleeves but like i said if you have pieces of your sleeve in your oil pan the magnetic drain plug is not gonna save it

and another thing why would you need to worry about your oil pick up floating aroun din your oil pan?
i understand theres also brass in somewhere of the properties of components like the rings but i highly doubt theres enough of it to be magnitise

Modified by ShowTymers619 at 3:26 PM 2/6/2005