Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer probs (new not in search!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer probs (new not in search!)

its a 93 del sol S 1.5. I started having probs with the Speedo then reading forums I tried chepst 1st (fuses). 2nd I read it could be a ground...I installed a jdm grounding kit (still had same prob. 3. I bought at this time 2 speed sensors. 1 ebay and #2 honda recking yard. #2 didn't work so they exchanged for another. Still same. #3 bought new VSS from autozone. Same problem. #4 bought new vss from dealer. #5 bought differen't cluster.

Now the prob is not that its not working....It is but It won't go more than about 55 mph. even though I'm going at the least 75. It also bounces from time to time. And (this is gonna sound stupid) when the weather outside is more than 90 degrees F it seems to stop all together and start again later. What else could it be!!!!! If you haven't noticed...I've lost my mind over this!!!

PS I have like3 good speed sensors type (M) if anyone is in need I'll sell the used ones for 20 and I have a new one I bought for 70 I'll sell for less
Thanks
Russ
Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoL

"First off I went to ebay for one....after the first one in the junk yard...I exchange it.."

"Then I bought a new one from autozone.....and then I bought a new one from the dealer...and then I bought a different cluster"

Man it took u like 10 VSS's to realize it wasn't the VSS, tip: After the 3rd one doesn't work work, that's not the problem :-P

As per ur problem, it sounds like a ground problem O.o A JDM grounding kit (if ur talking about that gay hanging wire which I think u r) wont' do jack..you can't ground out the whole thing...every part needs it's grounds to the chassis...

Check the grounds from the cluster wires O.o
Old 08-26-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

My mistake its an HKS with like multiple huge ground wires. Any idea whi wire is the ground for the cluster? and can I just cut and run a new ground for it? Also I realized after about 3 vss that it wasn't it but I never read otherwise on here and one mechanic I asked assured me he's never had to replace a wiring harness and to just buy new he figured people were selling crappy vss.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this was happening to my car yesterday, but it was because i had a cap blow off and it was drenched with coolant.

once it dried it was fine, so it's possible you have a short somewhere?

you know it isn't the vss or the cluster, so it has to be a wiring issue of some sort.