Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer is inaccurate! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer is inaccurate! please help!

just purchased an eg6 cluster, and the plastic cover had a crack so i thought id replace it with a good one,
upon taking the old one off i immediately noticed that it had been tampered with as the cover was hard to take off(too much glue from whoever did it last)
anyway moving on, the speedometre had seemed to be tampered with and can bev taken on and off very easily giving me a fukn inaccurate reading,
the rpm's work fine,
and depending on where /how deep or how far out i push the needle onto the pin, the reading will be differnt/or not responsive,
can anyone shed light on how to fix it,
ive attempted to put it back at the same distance otuwards as the rpm's and it responds when i drive but its definately 10-15km/ph off - i can tell based on what gear i am in and the sound of the engine and such.

please any help will be appreciated!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Default Re: speedometer is inaccurate! please help!

Sadly, you will likely need to replace the unit if you want it to read correctly. It sounds like whomever took it apart wasn't careful about it and may have damaged the needle.

The speedometer needle has a little tiny plastic notch in it that is supposed to keep it centered and attached to the pin that sticks out of the speedometer mechanism. If that needle is carelessly removed it is likely that that notch will be damaged and the pin then slides around inside the speedometer needle.

The other problem can be that the speedometer pin is actually bent. If that happens then you can't position the speedometer needle correctly. It will drag against the gauge face or will not sweep through the full motion of the speedometer.

I have personally run across this before and the only solution was to replace the speedometer with one from another assembly. Once the speedometer pin is bent or the needle notch is damaged there is no "fixing" it. It will read somewhat accurately, but the only way to make it work like new is to completely replace it.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would taking the odometer + needle and placing it on the white face(eg6) one work ?

would i be able to take my previous odemetre, remove the needle carefully - hopefully - and then replace the odeometre +needle and keep the white face ?

if you get my drift?

thanks for the help so far
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Well the face of the gauge is not a part to the gauge itself. There is a "plate" or "panel" that is placed over the top of the actual gauge. It is the plate or panel which has the numbers on it and is colored...red, white, black...whatever.

When people change their gauge faces they have to remove the needle to do so since the face of the gauge is under the needle. But the face is not physically a part of the gauge. It is glued or taped to the speedometer gauge but it isn't like they are one solid piece of molded plastic.

So, if you get a new speedometer gauge you will have to carefully take the needle off of the gauge. Then you will have to move the white face from the other gauge to your new speedometer. Then you carefully put the new speedometer needle back on the gauge.

In short what you said is right.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche
Well the face of the gauge is not a part to the gauge itself. There is a "plate" or "panel" that is placed over the top of the actual gauge. It is the plate or panel which has the numbers on it and is colored...red, white, black...whatever.

When people change their gauge faces they have to remove the needle to do so since the face of the gauge is under the needle. But the face is not physically a part of the gauge. It is glued or taped to the speedometer gauge but it isn't like they are one solid piece of molded plastic.

So, if you get a new speedometer gauge you will have to carefully take the needle off of the gauge. Then you will have to move the white face from the other gauge to your new speedometer. Then you carefully put the new speedometer needle back on the gauge.

In short what you said is right.

yep,

ive managed to take the white face off,
how would u recommend i take off the other needle without damaging the pin uspeak of,
id like to take off the needle and replace it with the eg6 one, and not break or ruin teh pin obviously!

thanks, you've been very helpful
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM

Well there is actually a tool that is made to do this. I think you can get one online for like $10 or so.

Without that tool the best way to get the needle off is to apply even pressure all around the needle while pulling straight up away from the gauge face. The key is to apply even pressure and to not bend the speedometer pin either up or down. Don't twist or wiggle the needle while you pull on it. That is where the majority of damage is done.

I have seen some needles removed by using small needle nose pliers and spreading them opened to make a "V" Then slide the pliers under the speedometer needle and pull up without rocking the pliers. With a little careful effort the needle should pop off.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM

The key is to use constant pressure...DO NOT JERK OR WIGGLE THE NEEDLE...
If you do anything but pull straight out you will damage the pin and the needle.

So, be careful.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

When you put the needle back on you want to push down but DO NOT WIGGLE OR ROTATE the needle. If you do you will bend the pin and cause the same damage as before.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks heaps,
do you think placing a fork under it and pulling the fork upwards(for grip )
is a good idea?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by kcokla
thanks heaps,
do you think placing a fork under it and pulling the fork upwards(for grip )
is a good idea?
Yes. I have personally used a fork and it work pretty well. Just be very careful. Using a fork can leave a lot of room for error. But if done correctly and carefully it will work just fine.