Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise

Hey everyone i own a 94 Civic EX...the problem is something in my front end some horrible noise no mecahnic no friends or anyone can explain when i first start driving it's fine but after awhile i hear a like really high pitched sound then after awhile kinda like a crunching whine very hard to explain, bail joints, bushings, control arms, sway bar all of it is fine axle, rac everything is mechanicaly sound i'm guessing there's a lube problem somewhere but i can't find it sounds likes it the right front anyone else ever had this problem cause i'm very stumpped and so are a lot of other people PLEASEEE HELP i can't stand the noise
Old 07-08-2004, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise (domestickilla)

What speeds do you hear which noises at? I would suspect the wheel bearings. Do you get a smooth feel when you spin the wheels by hand with the car off the ground?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise (Hotpressed)

It does sorta sound like a wheel bearing.

If you jack the car up and push/pull the top of the tire - can any play be felt?

Absolutely NONE should be felt.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:34 AM

chk a-arm?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise (domestickilla)

I have a noise that sounds like the whole suspension is falling apart. I think its my lower tie brace, its cheap and not held on that tight, cause its a multi piece one, not a solid bar. Do you have a tie bar?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Something in the front End no one can figure out the noise (Redline96LX)

How many techs have looked at your problem?

Pardon me if i come off like an ***, but if techs, your friends and a whole bunch of people have listened to this sound, looked at your car and can't find the problem, how do you expect people behind a computer screen to identify it with only a description. It cannot be done and with the suggestions you will get it, you will be running in circles.

fs
Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 AM

i hear it at any speed weather i turn right or left over everybump.....yeah i've had it in the air there is no play in my wheel, the wheel spins freely that's the weird thing about it, also i just replaced my pads and brakes not to long ago and there already shot i get bad vibrations at high speed braking but my caliper's are fine.....and filthy_shovel i'm just looking for people with different opinion's that i haven't thought of yet this is a place for people to help right? that's all i'm looking for
Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (domestickilla)

It's not that man. What you are asking is the same as asking a deaf person to identify a sound that is coming from Tibet. It can't be done. No one here will be able to bring new ideas to you. All you will get is people naming parts of your suspension and drivetrain to look at.

If many people cannot at least find the problem even by looking, inspecting and driving your vehicle, don't think you will find an answer here with a 2 line description.

If you want some intelligent answers. Give us at least a good description, mods you have done to it, a audio file so that we can at least hear it, mileage, general shape of the vehicle and such.

This place has alot of knowlegeable people here, but it is not the psychic network.

fs
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (filthy_shovel)

i was just wondering cause everyone here drives honda's and they might have ran into the same exact problem that i have ran into
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 AM

I may have presented myself as an ***, but you gotta understand that you have to come prepared in order to get intelligent answers.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by domestickilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hear a like really high pitched sound then after awhile kinda like a crunching whine very hard to explain, bail joints, bushings, control arms, sway bar all of it is fine axle, rac everything is mechanicaly sound i'm guessing there's a lube problem somewhere but i can't find it sounds likes it the right front </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by domestickilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hear it at any speed weather i turn right or left over everybump.....yeah i've had it in the air there is no play in my wheel, the wheel spins freely that's the weird thing about it, also i just replaced my pads and brakes not to long ago and there already shot i get bad vibrations at high speed braking but my caliper's are fine.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

SO here ya go, my first guess would be to check if something is rubbing somewhere. DO not put it on a lift, you want the car to stand the way it does when driving. Look for anything that looks like scraped plastic, polished metal, anything like that.

Has your car been in a front end collision?

fs
Old 07-08-2004, 09:32 AM

i wanna say yes it's been in an accident but i can't prove it there's something weird about it from the door forward the paint is lighter either he parked it half way in the sun a lot or i dunno it's weird the radaitor is loose it wobbles around cause one side isn't latched in but like my whole front clip is loose and now i can't take it back or prove that it was in an accident because it wasn't a salvaged title
Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM

Well, dude, now we got something to work with...

If you rad is loose, is it possible that some other thing could be loose too???
And if the rad is loose, is it possible that when you are driving, wind is pushing on the rad and letting it touch something??

BTW, sometimes, by looking around in the wheel wells or the rubber thingies the hood sits on when closed, you can spot some overspray and that would be an indication of at least a new paint job.

fs
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 AM

hey man yeah i saw over spray in my rear wheel wells but that is a common thing straight from the factory with there machine sprayers and all my front wheel wells are clean the paint in the rear of the car is newer tho cause if you look closely you can see run's in the paint it's messed up i'm pretty sure the rear end is fine but i look at the front and the hood doesn't line up straight and the passenger headlight and corner isn't flush....another quick question does my VSS run my cruise control also?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 AM

Your cruise control needs the VSS to maintain speed.

fs