Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Some Problems on my EJ1 94 Civic EX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Problems on my EJ1 94 Civic EX Coupe

Im a long time member on ClubRSX but I jsut bought an EJ1 last week and Im gonna redo the whole car basically but theres some issues I want to get cleared up first. Maybe HT can help?

1.) Car steers to the right and jerks slightly to the right when it shifts. Its an auto tranny. Im probably holding the wheel at a 75 - 80 degree angle when driving. The jerk is a small jerk, nothing too serious. Im guessing its either a tie rod or ball joint. Is there anything else this can be?

2.) CEL comes on after 20+ minutes of driving. At idle the RPM's fluctuate from 1,000 to 2,500 rpm. Possible O2 failure? Any other ideas? I dont have access to a scanner and its not always on so I cant just take it somewhere and get it diagnosed.

3.) Dash lights do not light up. Is this connected with the radio? The car doesnt have a radio installed yet but Im wondering if it needs the radio to turn the dash lights on. The gauge cluster DOES light up, just nothing else. If its on its own separate wiring then I'll just take off the dash and start inspecting the wiring.

4.) The High and Low valves are missing from the A/C lines. Do I need to vaccuum the lines out or can I just recharge the system? Is there any way to verify that the A/C compressor works?

5.) As previously mentioned, the gauge cluster does work, however, the light flutters and it gets somewhat annoying. I have no idea on what this can be. The battery is new and I havent looked at the alternator but Im guessing its the original one.

6.) Brake pressure is almost nonexistant. The brakes need to be floored in order for it to stop. Just from a quick 5 second observation, I did not notice a leak in the brake lines. Perhaps the brake master cylinder?

Is there anything else you guys recommend I look at? So far it has a new battery, fuel rail, injectors (from a junkyard), and I replaced the dizzy O-ring because it was leaking

That's all I can think of now. If there's more I'll ask them.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Some Problems on my EJ1 94 Civic EX Coupe

Originally Posted by imbest123
1.) Car steers to the right and jerks slightly to the right when it shifts. Its an auto tranny. Im probably holding the wheel at a 75 - 80 degree angle when driving. The jerk is a small jerk, nothing too serious. Im guessing its either a tie rod or ball joint. Is there anything else this can be?

If the bushings seem fine and the suspension is tight, then try a wheel alignment.

2.) CEL comes on after 20+ minutes of driving. At idle the RPM's fluctuate from 1,000 to 2,500 rpm. Possible O2 failure? Any other ideas? I dont have access to a scanner and its not always on so I cant just take it somewhere and get it diagnosed.

Pull the CEL codes as described here. Also try cleaning the IACV and FITV on the throttle body, as well as topping off and bleeding the cooling system.

3.) Dash lights do not light up. Is this connected with the radio? The car doesnt have a radio installed yet but Im wondering if it needs the radio to turn the dash lights on. The gauge cluster DOES light up, just nothing else. If its on its own separate wiring then I'll just take off the dash and start inspecting the wiring.

Is fuse 19 blown? If not, pop the dimmer switch out of the dash, unplug the connector, and jump the red wire to the black wire in the connector. If the dash lights now work, replace the dimmer switch.

4.) The High and Low valves are missing from the A/C lines. Do I need to vaccuum the lines out or can I just recharge the system? Is there any way to verify that the A/C compressor works?

The diagram shows the location of the service valves:

5.) As previously mentioned, the gauge cluster does work, however, the light flutters and it gets somewhat annoying. I have no idea on what this can be. The battery is new and I havent looked at the alternator but Im guessing its the original one.

What light flutters? Loose cluster connector?

6.) Brake pressure is almost nonexistant. The brakes need to be floored in order for it to stop. Just from a quick 5 second observation, I did not notice a leak in the brake lines. Perhaps the brake master cylinder?

Bleed the system. If that doesn't work and no leaks are found, replace the master cylinder.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1.) could be that you just need a alignment, but i would double check the tie rods and the ball joints just to be safe.

2.) that could be your IACV (idle air control valve). you could just take it off and clean it. i had same problem and thats what i did and it worked.

6.) check to make sure you have pressure in the lines. bleed the brake system and see if works and check for leaks.

Not to sure on the other stuff. Good Luck! hope this info helps you out
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. This may come out cheaper than I expected if all goes right. I honestly dont know how to check a tie rod or the ball joints but Ill give it a look down there. Im also still confused on the A/C service thing but Im sure Ill get it.

Anyone else who can chime in please do! So far this is great information.