Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Solid or Urethane Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid or Urethane Mounts?

What's Up? I just had a quick question about motor mounts. I have been considering going with solid mounts. I want to run my car at the Mid Ohio track and I am curious as to how much these would help lap times. What are the drawbacks to them? What are the benefits? Someone with real technical advice, please answer this for me. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Solid or Urethane Mounts?

solid motor mounts will make it crazy vibrate. i had them before and it was nuts. loud in the car and i actually liked it and it was less laggy like. never tracked them but im sure it would help rather than just urathane
Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you press/release the gas, the engine won't rock back and forth with solid motors mounts but there will be quite a vibration at idle.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM

So, basically there is going to be a whole heap of vibration going on? I think I can deal with that. Does it have any affect on CV Driveshaft life expectancy or anything else like that? I am also assuming that this will help with launches. You know, in case of the accidental pedal to the floor get away!!!

I am sourcing everything for a K-swap as we speak, so I am very interested in turning my mini UAV into a certified track *****! I know that with the right setup I can turn some serious lap times... Now all that I have to do is research the differential that I am going to use. Oh.. the work is never done, never done... Thanks guys I think I am going to call Hasport and get some of their advice as to exactly how much a a difference solid mounts can make on lap times. That is all I really care about. Between the lexan windows and the gutted interior this thing is going to be loud anyway. It might as well vibrate like a true track car too.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm not Rick!

sweet. you like the noise and vibrations and fumes too huh? where do you get those lexan windas?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I could deal with the vibration until I actually experienced it. Of course, I made them of softer urethane later on and the vibrations decreased and accelerator response didn't suffer. I was much happier.

You can try them and if you don't like them you can always sell them. Dealing with the vibrations on a track car is much easier than on a daily driver. I had installed this on a daily driver with a lot of stop and go traffic and the vibrations really bothered me at stops.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM

The vibrations can kill your car too. Keep in mind that when your engine vibrates the motor mounts are designed to dampen that. If you go to a solid mount you will be forcing that vibration straight back into the engine. It is a little complex to explain but it has to do with harmonics. The frequency of vibration will not only irritate you inside the cabin it will also focus the energy into the engine. It will cause your bolts to back themselves out and can introduce some valvetrain issues and produce clearance issues.

Racers who use solid mounts almost always rebuild their motors every race or every couple of races. So, they don't have to worry about the long term damage that the vibration will do to their cars. For the average driver who doesn't rebuild their engine every race this will cause major issues within just a season of racing.

If you plan on driving this car daily or to and from the track you will not get very long life out of the motor with solid mounts.

Only the pros use solid mounts. And for most drivers in endurance races they use stiffened mounts...but never solid mounts. Even 24 hours of continuous racing with solid mounts can cause engine failure.

Under almost all conditions HASport, Innovative, and Avertech will recommend the use urethane mounts but not solid mounts because they know that solid mounts will damage the engine and other parts of the car.

Last edited by shailoche; 06-12-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm not Rick!

Originally Posted by shailoche
The vibrations can kill your car too. Keep in mind that when your engine vibrates the motor mounts are designed to dampen that. If you go to a solid mount you will be forcing that vibration straight back into the engine. It is a little complex to explain but it has to do with harmonics. The frequency of vibration will not only irritate you inside the cabin it will also focus the energy into the engine. It will cause your bolts to back themselves out and can introduce some valvetrain issues and produce clearance issues.

Racers who use solid mounts almost always rebuild their motors every race or every couple of races. So, they don't have to worry about the long term damage that the vibration will do to their cars. For the average driver who doesn't rebuild their engine every race this will cause major issues within just a season of racing.

If you plan on driving this car daily or to and from the track you will not get very long life out of the motor with solid mounts.

Only the pros use solid mounts. And for most drivers in endurance races they use stiffened mounts...but never solid mounts. Even 24 hours of continuous racing with solid mounts can cause engine failure.

Under almost all conditions HASport, Innovative, and Avertech will recommend the use urethane mounts but not solid mounts because they know that solid mounts will damage the engine and other parts of the car.
true thats why you should use the stupid ctr pully too.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 AM

After weighing all of the pros and cons, I have chosen AGAINST using the solid mounts. I am going to track my car, but I do not have the means, money, to rebuild my engine after every race. I am going to use the CTR pulley though. The last thing that I need is for engine failure to occur due to the mounts. I am going to go with the Hasport Urethane mounts. Thanks to everyone who gave me the good info.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 AM

You are making a wise decision. You can't go wrong with the HASport urethane mounts. They will vibrate more than the stock Honda mounts but they won't destroy the motor in the process. Good luck to you.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks man for the good insight. I had a good inclination that they would cause some serious issues in the future. I will however be running solid spherical bearings in the trailing arms. I am SOLID on that.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Check out the symbiot Spidey, I dig it!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigSkeeza
Thanks man for the good insight. I had a good inclination that they would cause some serious issues in the future. I will however be running solid spherical bearings in the trailing arms. I am SOLID on that.
Spherical bearing trailing arms are great. They do have a downside though. Their lifespan isn't terribly long. Most of them need to be refitted with new bearings within 25k to 50k miles. They are made for racing in a similar way as solid motor mounts.

The nice thing about them is that you can usually rebuild the bearing without removing the entire trailing arm. This is unlike replacing the stock Honda bushings which usually have to be removed by way of complete removal of the arm.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Yeah, once you have them in there it is as simple as two bolts right? Do you recommend a certain brand. Oh, I have been thinking about what suspension to run... I'm leaning towards Motons with reservoirs. Have any experience with these?