Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sohc adjustable cam gear setting need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc adjustable cam gear setting need help!!!

hey whats up you guys i am new on here but i been having my car for a year now and my cousin got rid of his honda so he took some parts off and sold them and he gave me his adjustable cam here is a pic ts the ebay one tho wish it was aem but it was free so its all good lol

my set up is:
d16z6
port and polished head
p29 pistons

so i was wondering how many degrees should i adjust it or can adjust it

Last edited by XMELT310X; 10-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: sohc adjustable cam gear setting need help!!!

Your spelling and grammar are horrible. Sorry, it was upsetting to read this post.

You need to clay the engine to know exactly how much either direction you can safely go. No one here will be able to tell you the "magic" setting that will work for you. These things should be set on a dyno where you can actually tell 100% for sure the changes are for the better.

Last edited by Hybrid96EK; 10-09-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea sorry about the grammer and spelling it was late at night and just got home from a party, so again sorry. What do u mean clay the engine? one more thing today i went to turn my crank and as i went to turn it, it didn't do a full revolution it seemed to be hitting what i think is the head so i don't what it could be.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the gear is adjusted incorrectly, your going to hit the piston with the valves. Thats why I told you that you need to clay the engine... to find the clearances and know how far you can go. Remember, these ARE interference engines. Also, if that gear is for a Y8 and you put it on a Z6 the timing will be off even at 0. The Y8 is (if memory serves me right) approx 4 degrees retarded vs the Z6 counterpart. Its not nearly as simple as you are trying to make it.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i still have not adjusted the cam yet but it still hits.. om thinking because the guy i bought the block from said he got the block resurfaced
Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XMELT310X
no i still have not adjusted the cam yet but it still hits.. om thinking because the guy i bought the block from said he got the block resurfaced
Like I said, perhaps its for a Y8 and not a Z6? You have P29 pistons, so your clearances will be tighter then a stock Z6. I really don't have any other advice to give you. You need to clay the engine or its a crap shoot. If you like gambling, try it out. Otherwise do it right or leave it off.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Setting your timing can be tricky period if you don't know what you're doing...so I'm gonna have to x2 on ^

If you don't know what you're doing...get a shop to do it and throw it on the dyno...otherwise you're not only losing performance...but compromising your engine...and you don't want to have to do a rebuild for a 35 dollar ebay cam gear do u?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

There's a difference between diffrent sohc cams???

I wouldn't use it anyway them ebay gears are known to break
Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

On top of that...I wouldn't go ebay generic on anything like that...aesthetic stuff...sure w.e...wouldn't trust a cam gear though.

Would you trust an ebay generic camshaft if they had one?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

re: differences between z6 and y8

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-sprocket.html

for what it's worth, with that shitty picture, that looks like a z6 sprocket. the keyway is dead in line with 0.

OP...

p29 combo is a VERY sketchy proposition if you are not 100% sure of how much the head was milled/resurfaced and/or if the block was decked. the cam gear is now the last thing you have to worry about as you are in a little bit of a situation right now.

claying is the only way you can check clearances now. if the thing was say .010 off total then you'd be a-ok even with a large cam. but things get dicey FAST as you decrease the CC clearances past that.

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
Your spelling and grammer are horrible.
SRS DUDE?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well its because i am new at this so i learning as i go.. and i wont use it then i was hoping to use it because it was free lol but yea i looked up what u guys were talking about claying because i didn't know what u guy were talking about but i do now thank you!!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by builthatch
SRS DUDE?
Rofls
Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM
MiG-21 superfan

well its because i am new at this so i learning as i go.. and i wont use it then i was hoping to use it because it was free lol but yea i looked up what u guys were talking about claying because i didn't know what u guy were talking about but i do now thank you!!
OP, no problems.

everyone SHOULD be here to help.

check out the tech/misc and all motor sub-forums too.

read this thing i put together a while ago. some of the info will tell you more about the combination of p29 pistons and other stuff - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-powerful-na-d16z6-y8-1409008/
Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah...i've never personally messed with a cam gear from ebay...but it just doesn't seem like something I'd want to cheap out on...and even if somebody has good experience with a generic ebay gear...it may be a completely different make than yours but look very similar...and thus resulting in yours having catastrophic failure. Especially considering you're going to be dropping a little bit on getting all the clearances checked out...spend a little bit and get name brand...still do some research on here and see which ones people have had the best luck with.

Good luck with all that man. Be sure to post your findings if you get a chance...share the knowledge
Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was right the head was resurfaced a little to much i know this why because i went bought me a po8 head (had a p07) dropped it in and torqued it down and guess what it turned lol so now im happy
Old 10-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
SRS DUDE?
Baaah.. It was 1am.. so I used an E instead of an A. Sorry. You got my point though.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Baaah.. It was 1am.. so I used an E instead of an A. Sorry. You got my point though.
And his point is you corrected someone then made the same mistake in your correction like a jackass.

This isn't a spelling bee people make mistakes you don't gotta be a smartass and correct people every chance you get.

And back on topic im pretty outraged I never knew the z6 and y8 camgear is different lol. I swapped my y8 head and manifold on mine back in the day and it was probaly off timing the whole time. Spent a lot of money on it and swapped the head back cause I thought it was bad.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was right the head was resurfaced a little to much i know this why because i went bought me a po8 head (had a p07) dropped it in and torqued it down and guess what it turned lol so now im happy
so you saying this engine had a p07 (z1 vtec-e) head on it? if so no wonder it wouldnt turn the combustion chamber on that head is 25.30 compared to 34.6cc of the p08 (z6) head. its a good thing this engine didnt turn over cause if it did and you used it you would have had the first diesel dseries with like 17:1 or higher comp ratio
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
And his point is you corrected someone then made the same mistake in your correction like a jackass.

This isn't a spelling bee people make mistakes you don't gotta be a smartass and correct people every chance you get.
I was more pointing out the ghetto lingo and broken English was irritating. But I guess that wasn't obvious to you. When I come to a message forum that is in the US, I expect to read English, not jive.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I was more pointing out the ghetto lingo and broken English was irritating. But I guess that wasn't obvious to you. When I come to a message forum that is in the US, I expect to read English, not jive.
Haha it wasn't jive I've seen a lot worse on here, and you should clean the sand out your vagina instead of bein a uptight *****.

And by the way your last post includes 2 incomplete sentences. Ya big dummy
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
MiG-21 superfan

ok ok ENOUGH

sheesh.

"jive"...that was funny though.

you guys.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchaddict01
so you saying this engine had a p07 (z1 vtec-e) head on it? if so no wonder it wouldnt turn the combustion chamber on that head is 25.30 compared to 34.6cc of the p08 (z6) head. its a good thing this engine didnt turn over cause if it did and you used it you would have had the first diesel dseries with like 17:1 or higher comp ratio
i know right =[ but when i go turbo i am really going to use that head =] well today i went to get a estimation on the knew head to get it ported and polished again he said it would come out to 700 with a valve job so i was like i know what ill do it my self...