Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Soggy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soggy brakes

I seem to have an issue with soggy brakes...let me start with some info. Today I "did" my brake system to the wheels (new OEM calipers w/ SpeedBleeders, SS brake lines, new pads, brake system bled obviously). When it was all said and done, with the car off the brake pedal was very firm when pumped. When I started the car up, the pedal went damn near to the floor. The car still kinda stops, but I have to be careful.

Now I was thinking it was either one of two things:

One - I have a nasty bubble that I can't seem to get out. But, it's pretty hard to **** up bleeding the brakes with SpeedBleeders. Oh, I also bled the brakes twice, just in case.

Two - My master cylinder took a ****.

I'm thinking it's the latter, because last week my pedal went to the floor when I was driving on the interstate, and has been soggy ever since. This was before the brake system was ever opened up.

Anyone have any insight?

Modified by Milano_EH3 at 7:40 PM 8/16/2003
Old 08-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soggy brakes (Milano_EH3)

I'd go with option number 2. My brakes get really really mushy if I don't fill them up every other day with brake fluid. Diagnosis is a leaky MC. Too bad I don't have the money to fix it.

Chris
Old 08-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soggy brakes (JapTendencies)

Well, the MC is keeping fluid, so it's not leaking. I agree with you though, I still think that's the problem, but I was just looking for another opinion.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rear wheel cylenders? also to if you have drum brakes on the rear make sure that they are adjusted properly. the back brakes apply pressure before the fronts. when the proportioning vavle sees that enough pressure is applied to the rear it then sends pressure to the fronts. this is to help make sure that the car doesn't nose dive during braking.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soggy brakes (FMIDRC Racer)

Nope no, wheel cylinders...4 wheel discs (Si baby!). I thought the proportioning valve was to prevent rear wheel lockup? But, I guess you are essentially saying the same thing, it diverts pressure. I don't think it's that though.

Anyone else? After reading up, could it be a bad brake booster?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I vote for the MC also!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The internal seals in the MC will leak and loose pressure. The fluid will stay in the system though. I had the same thing happen on my car after changing to fresh synthetic fluid and bleeding the entire system. The previous owner had never changed the fluid and the seals immediately went. Luckily a master cylinder is pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Milano_EH3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seem to have an issue with soggy brakes...let me start with some info. Today I "did" my brake system to the wheels (new OEM calipers w/ SpeedBleeders, SS brake lines, new pads, brake system bled obviously). When it was all said and done, with the car off the brake pedal was very firm when pumped. When I started the car up, the pedal went damn near to the floor. The car still kinda stops, but I have to be careful.

Now I was thinking it was either one of two things:

One - I have a nasty bubble that I can't seem to get out. But, it's pretty hard to **** up bleeding the brakes with SpeedBleeders. Oh, I also bled the brakes twice, just in case.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Speedbleeders suck. The one way valve is supposed to close and prevent fluid/air-bubbles from being sucked back into the caliper. It doesn't and it *WILL* suck fluid back up. I have a set of speedbleeders and found this out the hard way. Put your stock bleeder screws back in or bleed
the speedbleeders as though they were normal bleeder screws.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Two - My master cylinder took a ****.

I'm thinking it's the latter, because last week my pedal went to the floor when I was driving on the interstate, and has been soggy ever since. This was before the brake system was ever opened up.

Anyone have any insight?

Modified by Milano_EH3 at 7:40 PM 8/16/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soggy brakes (kommon_sense)

Okay, the consensus seems to be the MC...cool. I actually didn't have any problems with the SpeedBleeders, although this my first time using them. They put out a nice bubble free stream.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

as mentioned the majority of the time the leak in the master is the internal seal..

it should be "pushing" the fluid forward towards the prop. valve but the fluid leaks past the seal back into the fluid resiviour... hence no loss but no pedal...

It's almost 100% the master.