Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just INSTALLED EBC RedStuff front brakes and they seem to be getting worse??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Just INSTALLED EBC RedStuff front brakes and they seem to be getting worse??

I just Installed ebc redstuff brakes on my 96 civic. I got the slotted rotors and the red stuff brake pads. They were brakeing good for 3 days but after 3 days they seem to be getting worse? its so hard brakeing now? i slam the brakes and it doesnt stop fast enough??? Has anyone else had this problem? I have to push the brake pedal all the way down for it to even brake. it seems like they are getting worse every day.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just INSTALLED EBC RedStuff front brakes and they seem to be getting worse??

Is there any brake fade or do you just have to slam the brake pedal??
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just INSTALLED EBC RedStuff front brakes and they seem to be getting worse??

I'm not really Aftermarket guy so I don't know what quality this parts have. But I would check if you're getting any air/fluid leak. Does your brakes feel spongy? soft? sounds like you got air in system. I would check fluid level in master cylinder reservoir and make sure it's at the max line and bleed the system.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kkwick
Is there any brake fade or do you just have to slam the brake pedal??
no brake fade, i dont have to slam on the brake pedal but i slammed on the brake pedal and it didnt even stop the car.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HNDA_4SHOOR
I'm not really Aftermarket guy so I don't know what quality this parts have. But I would check if you're getting any air/fluid leak. Does your brakes feel spongy? soft? sounds like you got air in system. I would check fluid level in master cylinder reservoir and make sure it's at the max line and bleed the system.
brake doesnt feel spongy or soft, feels hard, the fluid is at the max line.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hard like... example: when you pump the brake pedal when car is off?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you bleed the brakes after this? no way you should have to go to the floor without it stopping.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you imbed the brakes as soon as you finished the brake job?
these need to be imbedded 1st.

drilled and slotted rotors are a myth.read up on why these are just for show. I would run blanks with those pads.

Reds are pretty exteme as well.. green or yellow wasnt good enough?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Myth? They exist. It's not like a unicorn or something. I have drilled and slotted. Never felt any difference between them and blanks. So yes they are for show but they also work.
I also read a while back where people were complaining about EBC pads holding up and only lasting a short time.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just bled the brakes and it feels just slightly a little better, i should i bleed it more?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say yes.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pump the pedal with the engine off. it should be quite firm. remember - fluid doesn't compress.

also - with the engine running, foot on the brake - does the pedal slowly sink to the floor?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pwebb0207
pump the pedal with the engine off. it should be quite firm. remember - fluid doesn't compress.

also - with the engine running, foot on the brake - does the pedal slowly sink to the floor?
no it did not while i was driving
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so pads require alot of heat before they grab (to better resist fade) they proably worked ok well you where wearing off the brake in compound i think red are for heavy cars (

Redstuff however as a harder compound does take longer to fully bed in to achieve its highest levels of performance (can be up to 1500 miles/2500 Kms urban use) during which time the odd "Chirp" of brake noise may be heard when starting from cold in damp and cold conditions at walking pace speed. One press of the pedal to clear the rotor of any dampness and this disappears to leave EBC Redstuff a pad that inspires confidence in all cars. The motto is be patient give the pads a full chance to bed down.

Redstuff is only available for heavier and faster CARS and does find its self at its best on slightly heavier cars or Truck and SUV applications. Selecting the right grade of EBC pad for you car, truck or SUV is important and you can see the entire EBC selection and how to choose the right brakes for your car by switching to this linked page.