Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoking BLUE!! at cold start up ,high RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking BLUE!! at cold start up ,high RPM's

okay here is the deal i have a gsr block and b16 head i purchased it all put together in the car i bought it in (integra) but anyways. in the mornings i start it up and it just smokes like crazy... blueish smoke and when i get on it it will smoke like crazy as well no matter what RPM's! i could be flooring it at 2.5k and it will puff out just as much as if i were too floor it at 6k. but the kid said that when it was all stock GSR(head) it didnt smoke at all etc... and then they put the B16 head and it started smoking bad? he said he used the stock GSR head bolts and dont know if he reused the HG LOL... but anyways any ideas i was thinking valve seals and headgasket! LMK what you guys think. the motor drives nice and smooth it just smokes horrible
Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking BLUE!! at cold start up ,high RPM's (-HONDA-)

your burning oil u can use a thicker oil as a temp fix
your prob right about the gaskets and or seals
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Smoking BLUE!! at cold start up ,high RPM's (sanegb16)

sounds like the rings are toast man.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup. Blue smoke means you're burning oil.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm_ekcivic)

ok we can all see where this is going.

your burning oil. Rings and valve seals.

from what it sounds like he reused the head bolts so it's not far off he used the gasket as well.

so how to fix this.

there's the tunuer way, the right way, the wrong way and the Getto way.

tuner way

tear it All Down sleave it dome pistons, 3 angle valve job, PnP the head Ect........

wrong way

Thiker oil like say 90W and some Barr's No Smoke and Others till it just don't smoke as much (if you do this one sell it FAST)

The Right way (and how i would do it if i just needed it to run and not want to worry about it blowen up)

tear it down get a set of rings, rod and main bearings, lower GSR Gasket Set, Upper B16 Gasket Set, GSR head gasket, head bolts,

hoan the block (if it looks ok but shinny just a pass or two to "brack the glaze" so it looks dull) clean the parts as you wish but were just refreshning the motor not all out tuneing it so some old oil on the parts won't kill ya. do the valve seals and if all the valves look ok just relap then a little and put it all back together. and it should be fine.

just keep in mind while just doing headgasket and valve seals MAY fix this. Do you realy want to tear it all back apart if it needs the rings????

i mean i see so meany good motors go to **** cuz some one wants to save a Buck or two over that extra two hours of work they would need to do for it to be done right.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: (Solster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok we can all see where this is going.

your burning oil. Rings and valve seals.

from what it sounds like he reused the head bolts so it's not far off he used the gasket as well.

so how to fix this.

there's the tunuer way, the right way, the wrong way and the Getto way.

tuner way

tear it All Down sleave it dome pistons, 3 angle valve job, PnP the head Ect........

wrong way

Thiker oil like say 90W and some Barr's No Smoke and Others till it just don't smoke as much (if you do this one sell it FAST)

The Right way (and how i would do it if i just needed it to run and not want to worry about it blowen up)

tear it down get a set of rings, rod and main bearings, lower GSR Gasket Set, Upper B16 Gasket Set, GSR head gasket, head bolts,

hoan the block (if it looks ok but shinny just a pass or two to "brack the glaze" so it looks dull) clean the parts as you wish but were just refreshning the motor not all out tuneing it so some old oil on the parts won't kill ya. do the valve seals and if all the valves look ok just relap then a little and put it all back together. and it should be fine.

just keep in mind while just doing headgasket and valve seals MAY fix this. Do you realy want to tear it all back apart if it needs the rings????

i mean i see so meany good motors go to **** cuz some one wants to save a Buck or two over that extra two hours of work they would need to do for it to be done right.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the ghetto way?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (finnstang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by finnstang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What's the ghetto way? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Drive it as is
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM

well im not too into the whole engine rebuilding right now. dont have all that knowledge yet but the guy told me it was driving fine did not smoke a drop at all until they put the b16 head on? so im going too change the valve seals and headgasket and use some oem b16 headstuds!!

but another thing i was thinking of was they used the GSR head bolts and i thought you use the same head bolts as the head? so for example b16 head= b16 head bolts gsr head=GSR head bolts is the right?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM

well taking it to a shop for a leakdown test ill let you guys know what happens hopefully its headgasket